Any thoughts on this server?

Handruin

Administrator
PowerEdge 1600SC

Xeon 2.0GHz, 128MB DDR, 48x CDROM, Floppy, Two 73GB 10K Ultra 320

Onboard 1000 Mbps NIC, Keyboard, Mouse, 1-yr Warranty, No Operating System.

I wonder which 73GB 10K U320 drives come with it??? Price...$579 with free shipping. That's tempting...(yet is has no AGP, but that is expected in a server)

Buck

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.hlmcompany.com
It's a good deal, but low on the memory side. Hook that machine up to your network, somewhere in a cool, dark corner, and just VNC to the machine. It would make a nice little dev server (after more memory is installed).

mubs

Storage? I am Storage!
Tempting price, eh? The only Raid controller supported officially is a 32-bit 33MHz card - theERC3-SC, with a single (internal) channel and 32MB cache. The mama board has:
* 2 x 64-bit/100MHz PCI-X slots
* 2 x 64-bit/66MHz PCI slots
* 2 x 32-bit/33MHz PCI slots

For a server with multiple drives in RAID, I think the Raid card is going to be a bottleneck. I would have bought this server for a client if a 64/66 RAID option was available.

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
I would go for a Xeon 2.4GHz, even if it's 100$ more, so when you'll buy him a twin brother, the overall system (dual 2.4GHz Xeon instead of dual Xeon 2.0GHz) would be noticeably faster...and would beat the one of Bill ;-)

Would I be sure that Dell uses Cheetah 15K3, I would choose to go with dual 18GB 15Krpm or dual 36Krpm drives instead of the dual 73GB 10Krpm. All drives are Ultra320 SCSI, so at least no matter what you choose, you're sure to get fairly recent drives. Unless these are IBM's, they shouldn't be too hot and noisy.

And yes, it's a great deal, since that both SCSI drives alone worth more than 549$ anyway.

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
And with the prices of DDR memory these days, upgrading the paltry 128MB that comes with that box won't make your wallet bleed.

e_dawg

Storage Freak
Argh! Promotion only valid in the US... again. The same server would cost double (~$1100 US) on dell.ca. Sometimes it sucks living in Canada.

blakerwry

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
justblake.com
why dont you guys just have US citizens buy them and ship them to you? is there something I'm missing? weird Canadian import taxes?

You guys are connected to the US... i really don't think of Canada as being much different from the US.. The difference is probably about the same as going from Kansas to New York.

JKKJ

Learning Storage Performance
blakerwry said:
You guys are connected to the US... i really don't think of Canada as being much different from the US.. The difference is probably about the same as going from Kansas to New York.

Potentially offended Canadian wondering what you mean by this...

It's a different country, a different market, different economies of scale, better beer, etc. <ducks>

Handruin

Administrator
I looked up the price of crucial memory as a comparison and it will cost $59.99 for 256MB DDR PC2100 • CL=2.5 • ECC • Registered.

I'm tempted, but I'd almost rather build a machine to get an AGP slot. I also like how this machine has a 1gbit ethernet. I could buy another 1gb card and make a straight connection between my machines for fast file transfers.

e_dawg

Storage Freak
JKKJ said:
It's a different country, a different market, different economies of scale, better beer, etc. <ducks>

Don't forget less crime, not as obnoxious, higher taxes, more social assistance, interest in hockey and college ball, donut shops per km^2... :)

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
Canada as a nation is cleaner than anyplace I've ever been in the US. Canada would be a really cool place except for all that "Cold".

Maybe it's nice in Vancouver or something.

blakerwry

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
justblake.com
I regularly go out to Colorado backpacking... it's the cleanest place I've ever been... of course if it's a several hour drive and a 2 day hike from the nearest establishment then it had better be clean.

My only complaint are the horseback riders. Not that I have anything against horses or their riders. But it seems any trash I do find was left by people traveling on horseback.. I just don't think they have the same kind of respect for nature.

Kansas City ... hmm.. I live in the suburbs where it feels like there is a Sonic and an elementry school every square mile... it's decently clean.. but there are some people who really disgust me because they have absolutely no respect or consideration for the environment or for the people around them... most of these people are teenagers.

You know what e_dawg, if it's not illegal then I'm willing to take paypal payments in advance and ship the item to you. We could do it through ebay if you like...maybe if I can make like 5% in the process then we'd both get a good deal.

e_dawg

Storage Freak
blakerwry said:
You know what e_dawg, if it's not illegal then I'm willing to take paypal payments in advance and ship the item to you. We could do it through ebay if you like...maybe if I can make like 5% in the process then we'd both get a good deal.

I appreciate the offer, blakewry, but I have no use for another computer right now. I am just jealous at all the good deals you guys get! ... Can I take a raincheck on that for the future? :)

CityK

Storage Freak Apprentice
e_dawg said:
I am just jealous at all the good deals you guys get!
Damn right, Dell.ca sucks - as in no variety and high prices.

blakerwry said:
is there something I'm missing? weird Canadian import taxes?
AFAIK, and despite NAFTA, customs/brokerage duties still apply. You would also encounter it in the reverese direction.

blakerwry said:
Kansas City ... hmm.. I live in the suburbs
Olathe? Spent a week in KC (right beside UMKC) and the weekend in Olathe 6 years ago. KC was pretty nice, the parts that I saw. Olathe appeared to be a quickly developing well-to-do suburb, but not so developed to the point that the coyotes were still hanging around in the streets in broad daylight.

Newtun

Storage is nice, especially if it doesn't rotate
Mercutio said:
What's a "Sonic"?
topsign.gif
. . . Burger chain. Not quite omnipresent, eh?

mubs

Storage? I am Storage!
I always thought Sonic was a really weird name for an eating joint!

And Yo, Canadians: Think twice about buying the Dell in America and getting it shipped - you may not have an enforceable warranty.

Pradeep

Storage? I am Storage!
CityK said:
blakerwry said:
]is there something I'm missing? weird Canadian import taxes?
AFAIK, and despite NAFTA, customs/brokerage duties still apply. You would also encounter it in the reverese direction.

I believe the tax free threshold for US citizens returning to the US has recently been upped to US$800.

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
CityK said:
The few times I've had things to ship to U.S. customers, they had no customs to pay, while we have to pay one when importing stuff from Bushy land. Unless this thing is marked as having no monetary value...

e_dawg

Storage Freak
While there is usually no duty (import tariff) to be paid, there is always a brokerage fee (~$30 at ups) that applies, as well as GST (7%) and PST (8%) on all imports. I know this because I have had to pay for these "extras" about 20 times out of 22 over the past two years for goods I have ordered from the US.

JKKJ

Of course we pay GST and PST on goods purchased here too. Most computer-related gear seems to be duty-free under NAFTA (zero-rated actually...bureaucrats, ugh) although that only applies of the origin within North America. I'm not sure about the treatment of goods from Taiwan or China, probably free as well, as there's no significant manufacturing capability within Canada for this stuff.

The biggest impediment to ordering from the US has been the brutally ineffectual Canadian dollar. I remember the dollar being at par with the US buck, unfortuntely this was waaay back. After adding extra freight to Canada and then adding another 50-60% on top, it's usually better to source goodies from a local shop. Then the problem becomes availability for unusual parts, but that's another story....

e_dawg

Storage Freak
Mercutio said:
Canada would be a really cool place except for all that "Cold".

Maybe it's nice in Vancouver or something.

Nah, too much rain in the winter. Maybe if you move East into interior BC, but then you get back to that cold problem in the winter.

JKKJ

Actually we haven't had that much rain this winter, which means that the snowpack is low, which means that I'll be looking at a brown lawn and a dirty car a lot in the summer!

Buck

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.hlmcompany.com
JKKJ said:
Actually we haven't had that much rain this winter, which means that the snowpack is low, which means that I'll be looking at a brown lawn and a dirty car a lot in the summer!

Welcome to Southern California USA. I see that at least 8 months out of the year. :(

e_dawg

Storage Freak
Oops, you slipped in there before I could post. That was directed at JKKJ...

Peg = Winnipeg. A godawful place if there ever was one -- at least where weather is concerned. The winter is one big deep chill. I always see something like Winnipeg: High -23 C (-10 F) on the weather forecast. And in the summer, the mosquitos are so bad they have to fog the city every evening or else you'll be eaten alive.

CityK

Storage Freak Apprentice
e_dawg said:
Winnipeg. A godawful place if there ever was one
I've never been personally...but there is certainly not a lot of incentive to go now is there: its flat, it floods, it sits on swamps (hence the squeeters in the summer), its boring, its frickin' freezing in the winter, and they don't have a hockey team anymore...although I admit my opinion of it is mostly based on hersey (except for the part about the hockey team).

Maybe if you move East into interior BC, but then you get back to that cold problem in the winter.
There are some very temperate regions of BC, where cold winters is not really a factor. In reality, Toronto and rest of Southwestern Ontario shouldn't have much to complain about in terms of the cold - its of a low enough latitude.

Pradeep said:
I believe the tax free threshold for US citizens returning to the US has recently been upped to US$800.
:eek: That's insane compared to a Canadian's duty free threshold - you have to be out of the country >48hrs just to bring back in $100 (can't remember if thats US or Cdn) worth of goods - either way, its still a piddly amount. Of course longer absences allow for larger amounts which I'm not overly familar with offhand.

Cougtek said:
Unless this thing is marked as having no monetary value...
I also hear that if you get the shipper to write gift or "evaluation unit" (for hardware) you can get it in without incurring the wrath of the Canadian Customs and Revenue Agency.

JKKJ said:
it's usually better to source goodies from a local shop. Then the problem becomes availability for unusual parts, but that's another story....
I would go further to say that it always is better to source from home in terms of the end cost....I would also revise the unusual parts to just plain parts - it just takes forever for items to reach the Cdn marketplace....and even then, half of the stuff you would like to see never ever shows up. That said, I prefectly understand the way the supply chain mechanics play out - xxxMillions of American consumers, xCdn consumers....I'm just bitter that the lack of economic incentives for trade are barring my prusuit of digital happiness.

CK

CityK

Storage Freak Apprentice
Buck said:
Well I suppose there is a tradeoff for Canadians with their peace, clean living, and decent weather.
And there in lies the truth to my Rant.

CK

blakerwry

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
justblake.com
CityK said:
e_dawg said:
I am just jealous at all the good deals you guys get!
Damn right, Dell.ca sucks - as in no variety and high prices.

blakerwry said:
is there something I'm missing? weird Canadian import taxes?

blakerwry said:
Kansas City ... hmm.. I live in the suburbs
Olathe? Spent a week in KC (right beside UMKC) and the weekend in Olathe 6 years ago. KC was pretty nice, the parts that I saw. Olathe appeared to be a quickly developing well-to-do suburb, but not so developed to the point that the coyotes were still hanging around in the streets in broad daylight.

I live in Shawnee... Olathe is about a 5 minute drive from here... Olathe is still developing, but it is not near as clean or nice a place as Shawnee Mission.

CityK

Storage Freak Apprentice
I went to Shawnee too -> the hugh dog park there with a big pond you can walk around....

CK

blakerwry

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
justblake.com
That's a lake... (man made actually.. i have a topo map of the underwater parts)...i live about 1 mile from there...

infact, it was such a nice day i was tempted to take my dog there today... but I had class and plans after that.. so it will have to wait till tomorrow.