Anyone tried the new DVD dual layers? Reports, comments?

Santilli

Hairy Aussie
Hi
Anyone gone over and tried the above? Worth the money, etc?

Thanks

Greg

ddrueding

Fixture
I've had the player for over 6 months, prices on the media still haven't gotten down to sane levels. I doubt I'll burn a dual-layer disc before I burn a HD-DVD or Blueray (read: never).

I waste of (thankfully not very much) money, IMO.

MaxBurn

Storage Is My Life
I have had a couple dual layer burners for a long time now, never burnt a dual layer disk though. I got them because of the faster write speeds to single layer primarily. I am not so sure my set top player would even play back dual layer anyway.

LunarMist

I can't believe I'm a Fixture
Not yet. DL media is ridiculously expensive for mass data storage and write speeds are too slow. I'll also probably wait for a higher capacoty disc format, maybe >20GB.

timwhit

Hairy Aussie
They are still about $6 per disc. When a single layer disc is 50 cents, it is hard to justify 12 times the cost.

MaxBurn

Storage Is My Life
timwhit said:
They are still about $6 per disc. When a single layer disc is 50 cents, it is hard to justify 12 times the cost.

And the slower speeds.

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
I've used them. I managed to buy some discs BEFORE the burners came out. Media price at that point was actually reasonable (around $2 a disc I think).

My application for dual layer discs is more thorough and complete copies of certain DVDs. I won't tolerate 40 minutes to burn computer data on one but I'm OK with copying movies in that timespan.

What I have not seen to date are dual layer discs faster than 2.4x, even though dual layer 4x burners have been around a while.

Santilli

Hairy Aussie
I think we are on the same page. I've been giving thought to the external plextor, firewire/usb 2 burner.
Expensive, but it may work better then my current Sony DRU 530A that only seems to like Sony media...

s

Jake the Dog

Storage is cool
my Pioneer S806 succesfully reconises and burns Verbatim DL discs at 4x. no such luck with Riteks though.

at this stage video on DL discs is best left for PC playback since very few standalone alone players can read them. of the five DVD players we have here, the oldest and cheapest (a generic Chinese import bought 4 years ago) is the only plays them... go figure.

Santilli

Hairy Aussie
Thanks. That's GREAT info. I was ready to try and buy a new player, rather then the Toshiba stand alone I have, but now, I don't know what to do...

s

Pradeep

Storage? I am Storage!
Greg, just get an NEC 3520 burner for around $50 from newegg. Plextor is not wirth the premium IMHO.

CityK

Storage Freak Apprentice
Couldn't agree more. The NEC drives are awesome burners.

Santilli

Hairy Aussie
I gather the 3520 is a better burner? How does it work with DVD-r Memorex disks?

Thanks

GS

CityK

Storage Freak Apprentice
I gather the 3520 is a better burner?
No, they're essentially equivalent. If anything, casual observation (of CDfreak's NEC forum) leads me to believe that people might perfer the older 3500, but by the slimmest of margins (i.e would fall within statistical error...if anyone was doing such a study)....but I'm also a bit biased (3500 owner) and don't pay as close attention to the 3520.

How does it work with DVD-r Memorex disks?
That would depend entirely upon what manufacturer produced the media for the discs that Memorex is selling. However, and in general (based upon what I've read, as opposed to any great amount of first hand experience), the NEC drives seem to tolerate most media fairly well. But one should not ignore ancient computer proverb - "garbage in, garbage out". Also beware that Memorex , and many other brand labels, have a habbit of switching media suppliers - sometimes good, sometimes not so good.

For write once dics, I stick with those employing Taiyo Yuden media, which is arguably the best optical media manufacturer....Most of my burning, however, is on DVD+RWs, which the 3500 handles like a charm.

CityK

Storage Freak Apprentice
Santilli said:
I gather the 3520 is a better burner?
Spec wise, I think the only difference is that the newer 3520 can do 8x RW (versus 4x on 3500) and can also handle -R DL (whereas the 3500 can only handle +R DL) .... I could be wrong though.

Anyways, DL is dead in the water as far as I'm concerned...on the other hand, a quicker RW burn time would be nice, but its by no means an necessity.

Pradeep

Storage? I am Storage!
Santilli said:
Pricing is weird. the 3500 is more expensive then the 3520?

s

Newegg doesn't appear to even sell the 3500 anymore. Enjoy the benefits of high volume product :) We have a bunch of 3520's at work, flawless. Wish the same could be said for the POS Sony 4x burner, it can burn CDs but pukes on DVDs. Straight in the garbage bin is where it is destined.

.Nut

Learning Storage Performance
Santilli said:
Pricing is weird. the 3500 is more expensive then the 3520?

Not necessarily. Older CD and DVD drives had a higher list price.

You can still buy, new-in-box, a few old 4X, 8X, and/or 16X CD-R/W drives. But, they will usually cost you over US$100. For the average user, buyng one of these old CD-R/W drives would be absoutely .NUTty when you can buy a 52X Lite-ON CD-R/W drive for US$23.

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
Not always. One of my customers used to own some kind of custom made CD server device that used Matsushita 4x drives. I tried to replace a broken drive in that thing with at least 3 different brands of EIDE CD-ROMs before I actually looked and realized that my best bet for replacement was an old Packard Bell.

Dïscfärm

Learning Storage Performance
Mercutio said:
Not always...
I skirted this issue in my above post. But now that you brought it up... :)

Yes, you can certainly have legacy CD-R/W drives tied to legacy applications and/or legacy hardware. The warranty contract marketplace needs some of these "old" CD-R/W drives in order to provide service for the 4, 5, or even 7 year periods that some of them are stuck with maintaining certain devices -- devices that most people working with typical desktop computers tend not to realise are out there toiling away every day -- namely CD libraries and CD duplicators. It's certainly not unusual for the firmware in many of these CD libraries and CD duplicators to support only 2 or 3 models of CD-R/W drive.

Santilli

Hairy Aussie
For write once dics, I stick with those employing Taiyo Yuden media, which is arguably the best optical media manufacturer....Most of my burning, however, is on DVD+RWs, which the 3500 handles like a charm.

How can you tell?

Thanks

GS
PS 3500 Mad Dog external USB 2.0 for 99 dollars? Good deal?

Pradeep

Storage? I am Storage!
There is a freeware utility that can decode the manufacturer code that is embedded in each DVD/CD. Be aware that some unscrupulous manufacturers forge a more reputable code on their shoddy product.

CityK

Storage Freak Apprentice
Pre Purchase
Many media manufacturers not only provide supply for the name brands, but also sell under their own label. For example, a quick check at NewEgg revealed that they do carry some spindle cakes of Taiyo Yuden discs.

In terms of the name brands (like Fuji, Memorex, ...), if you can find "made in Japan" somewhere on the spindle cake, then chances are you've got bona fide TY's in your hand. Fuji, for example, is a good bet on finding TY's. But again, make sure you spot the land of the rising sun moniker first before purchasing, else your likely buying cheap Taiwanese media like CMC.

If your not buying via the name brand route, then be very wary of claims that they use TY media. Try to find someone who has already purchased the discs and can verify that its genuine.

Post Purchase
Utilities like Infotool, DVDIdentifier etc., etc., all provide the 411 on your shiny new discs