ASUS BIOS

Bozo

Storage? I am Storage!
This morning I flashed the BIOS on an ASUS P8B WS motherboard. I used the utility that was installed on Windows 7 by the ASUS install CD.
Then the computer would not boot back up.
Seems the BIOS update reset everything in the BIOS back to defaults, including changing the RAID array back to IDE.

Is this normal for ASUS?

I haven't seen a BIOS update do this in years.

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
Isn't that the expected result? You re-flashing the BIOS, how can it retain the old settings? Every time I've flashed a BIOS, this is what happened. Not just on Asus, but GigaByte and MSI too.

ddrueding

Fixture
The main problem I have with ASUS boards is the stupid defaults. With Gigabyte boards, I often don't have to change anything.

Bozo

Storage? I am Storage!
I have been using Intel boards and when you update the BIOS, it leaves your settings alone.
I was expecting the same I guess. I really wasn't expecting the RAID controller to be set back to IDE.

BingBangBop

Storage is cool
It has been my understanding that when one updates a BIOS, one should, as a habit, always reset to default/optimized and redo any customized settings. While most BIOS updates will take their old settings from the old memory locations, not all will causing very peculiar results. Resetting to optimized/default eliminates that issue.

LunarMist

I can't believe I'm a Fixture
Sure but it is a major pain to reset everything. You need to get out the paper and pen.

tazwegion

Learning Storage Performance
Isn't that the expected result? You re-flashing the BIOS, how can it retain the old settings? Every time I've flashed a BIOS, this is what happened. Not just on Asus, but GigaByte and MSI too.

+1 ;)

Might have a lot to do with the fact that I'm using significantly older tech platforms than the majority of you too though :)

time

Storage? I am Storage!
Asus is taking the safer, more conservative option. They support a lot more configurability - including overclocking - than Intel, so it makes sense to load CMOS defaults. It used to be an option on some BIOS upgrade tools.

Bozo, as I'm sure you've found, you should be able to just toggle that setting back to RAID and your array should reappear after rebooting.

Bozo

Storage? I am Storage!
I'm just spoiled from using Intel motherboards for the last 10 years or so.
When the computer failed to boot, it was like having a flash-back of failed BIOS flahes in years gone by.
Once I got back into the BIOS I realized what happened and reset every thing, all was fine.
It was definately a surprise! :-D