Audio Equipment

Stereodude

Not really a
The Yamaha looks fascinating. If it performs as well as it's traditional competitors in that price range, it may be exactly what I'm looking for. How was the audio quality?
I haven't heard it, but it isn't going to perform as well as real discrete speakers.

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
Yes, but taken in combination, the sound projector is a better deal than buying a HTiB kit.
And for what it's worth, it DOES have real speakers. About 30 of them. As I understand it, there's a longish setup process where it figures out where to point each of the speakers to maximize echos and reflections so that you get the full surround you're supposed to have.

Pradeep

Storage? I am Storage!
That sound projector reminds me of the Bose 901. Dozens of ultra cheap drivers meant very loud, but very crap music. I'm sure the Yamaha is better, but still...

I would say it is more for the flat panel crowd that don't want 6 or 7 speakers cluttering their living space.

For speakers, try something like this:

http://svsound.com/products-spks-sbs01.cfm

And add a sub to suit when ready.

ddrueding

Fixture
We'll see how good the Yamaha YSP-1000 is; I have a new client in Marin that wants a home theater. I'll be aquiring a demo unit to try out at his place.

Stereodude

Not really a

Stereodude

Not really a
...and of course, your system costs 4x as much...
Well, I prefer the Rockets to the Ref's due to their treble characteristics, not due to price. I like my RS1000s better than the Ref 3, so it's not really a $$$ issue here. I really like my X-LS bookshelves too, and they're cheap.

ddrueding

Fixture
After looking at everything and filling shopping carts from all kinds of stores, I've decided that what I want for my place is a pair of speakers (probably with a sub later) that can play from my one source (computer). My current listening position is ~1m from each speaker, with them ~1.5m apart. This is unlikely to change. I don't believe that digital conversion for the 3' from CPU to reciever is worth the extra crap I'd need to buy.

I'm doing a significant amount of work on home theateres in general these days (for clients), but (for me) I just want to listen to my music.

ddrueding

Fixture
Auzentech just came out with another expensive soundcard, the Auzen X-Meridian 7.1 with a MSRP of $200. I need someone who knows more than me to explain why, for my purposes, its better than the X-Plosion I have now, or the M-Audio Revolution mentioned above.

Stereodude

Not really a
If you're only doing 2 channel, you don't. Heck, the Revolution 5.1 might be just the ticket (it's a little cheaper than the 7.1 and you don't need the extra channels).

Buck

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.hlmcompany.com
Does anyone have experience with current model Polk speakers? I've been reading about some of their products, such as the Monitor 60 fronts, CS2 center, and PSW1000 subwoofer. They seem like top quality speakers, especially for home theater use. My curiousity lies with the difference between top quality speakers. I'm sure individually, each speaker has its strength and weakness, but when combined as a 5.1 setup, I expect that those are usually all ironed out. For example, some say that the Polk Monitor 60 fronts lack bass, but once you hook up a dual 10" driver subwoofer, the weakness in the fronts has been more than compensated. So, where would perceived weaknesses in a complete setup be, or is there none, and the sound difference is just minor? I expect they will all sound crisp, clear, dynamic, and powerful. When quality and prices are similar, sound must be very subjective.

Stereodude

Not really a
I'm not too familiar with current Polk speakers. Generally, you can get more bang for your buck factory direct with some online brands.

e_dawg

Storage Freak
A couple of the guys I used to talk to in the old CompuServe audio forums said good things about Polk speakers in the late 90's. No idea about their current stuff. Amongst American speakers, you could certainly do worse.

Just heard Totem Acoustic speakers the other day. On demo were the Sttaf small towers and the Dreamcatcher sub. All I have to say is "wow". The dyanmics remind me of Thiel speakers, and they have the imaging and natural sound of B&W Matrix 805's.

http://www.totemacoustic.com/

The DreamCatcher 5.1 HT system was well reviewed in Andrew Marshall's Audio Ideas Guide:

http://www.audio-ideas.com/reviews/loudspeakers/totem-dreamcatcher.html

ddrueding

Fixture
I was just screwing around on my computer and decided to enable the on-board "HD Audio" Azalia stuff...It's really, really good. My roomate helped me do a double-blind test of it against my Auzentech X-Plosion card; neither of us could tell the difference reliably.

ddrueding

Fixture
No doubt. I'm sure there is a reason the X-Plosion costs what it does; I'm just observing that I'm not it. For regular 2-channel music, I really can't hear the difference.

Stereodude

Not really a
I want a sound card that can connect to a video card for HDMI output. Then the PC could output uncompressed 24/96kHz audio instead of sticking us with analog outputs, or DD and DTS encoded surround sound.

ddrueding

Fixture
I want a sound card that can connect to a video card for HDMI output. Then the PC could output uncompressed 24/96kHz audio instead of sticking us with analog outputs, or DD and DTS encoded surround sound.

I'm betting you'll see an ATI All-in-Wonder card that has a sound card built-in before you see some kind of interface between Audio and Video my different mfgs. Most likely of all would probably be an after market box that injects audio into the HDMI line.

Mercutio

Apparently, All-in-Wonder was one of the first things to be tossed after the ATI/AMD merger.

So... no, it won't be that.

Stereodude

Not really a
Most likely of all would probably be an after market box that injects audio into the HDMI line.
I'm not sure about that. There's no way to get multiple channels of 24/96 audio from a PC into an external box that would put audio on the HDMI cable.

I wonder if nVidia will use some of their Soundstorm expertise to put audio on some of their video cards for HDMI video and audio output?

Mercutio

It's all about the fact that HDCP wants "single trusted source" for everything. I have a feeling that it'll be a while before our options are what they actually should be.

Sol

Storage is cool
Where would the audio go from the HDMI cable anyway? I've yet to see a TV with speakers that I think you'd be able to tell the difference between analog and uncompressed digital audio on, or one with a really nice built in 8 channel amp. If it's going to a separate amplifier I would have thought getting the audio out of the HDMI cable would be no less challenging than getting it in was. If you have an amp that can take a HDMI connector then you probably want to have one on your PC just for audio and a separate one for video so I'd say it's pretty much just up to the sound card makers.

Mercutio

I think that it won't be too long before displays start coming with Digital Audio Projectors rather than speaker setups. Seems like a decent enough fit to me.

Stereodude

Not really a
Where would the audio go from the HDMI cable anyway? I've yet to see a TV with speakers that I think you'd be able to tell the difference between analog and uncompressed digital audio on, or one with a really nice built in 8 channel amp. If it's going to a separate amplifier I would have thought getting the audio out of the HDMI cable would be no less challenging than getting it in was. If you have an amp that can take a HDMI connector then you probably want to have one on your PC just for audio and a separate one for video so I'd say it's pretty much just up to the sound card makers.
It would go into my Pioneer Elite receiver (VSX-84TXSi) that has 4 HDMI inputs (for audio and video).

Pradeep

Storage? I am Storage!

The idea is to have HDMI from the device (blu-ray, hd-dvd, pc) going into a receiver (which can playback/decode the audio). Then another HDMI cable from the receiver to the display device.

Some of the HDCP enabled video cards allow you to "add" S/PDIF to the HDMI output.

http://anandtech.com/video/showdoc.aspx?i=2874&p=5

It's only a matter of time until uncompressed audio is routed thru as well. At which time all the Creative overpriced turd will become even less valuable (is it possible?)

Sol

Storage is cool
I think a separate HDMI for your sound card would work just as well and be easier to implement than passing the audio to the video card. I guess it wouldn't help if you wanted the convenience of a single cable and were happy to use the TVs speakers, but it's not that much more convenient...

Stereodude

Not really a
I think a separate HDMI for your sound card would work just as well and be easier to implement than passing the audio to the video card. I guess it wouldn't help if you wanted the convenience of a single cable and were happy to use the TVs speakers, but it's not that much more convenient...
That won't work though. The audio and video need to be on the same HDMI cable. Besides, the audio is inserted in the horizontal and vertical blanking interval of the video signal.

And, I'm not using my TV's speakers. My 7.1 Receiver/Amp takes the audio off the HDMI cable and amplifies it after processing with it's 7 140W amps. It also passes the video signal onto the TV via HDMI.

Stereodude

Not really a
Hmm O.K I knew HDMI wasn't really here to help, I didn't think it was quite that inflexible...
How do you figure? 1 cable carries up to 8 channel 24bit 96kHz audio and the HD video together. It's pretty simple. I have my DVD player connected to my receiver with 1 cable. I have 1 cable from my receiver to my TV.

I'm just waiting for a 1 cable solution from the PC that offers better audio fidelity than SPDIF.

Sol

Storage is cool
I guess it just seems to me that HDMI is there to limit your options as much as it is to reduce the number of cables you need. I don't really want to have a heap of separate cables going all over the place but I'd rather have more control of how my system was set up than have a single cable solution that defines what I have to do...

Stereodude

Not really a
... but I'd rather have more control of how my system was set up than have a single cable solution that defines what I have to do...
Can you give me an example of how HDMI limits what you could do? HDMI doesn't take away options that you currently have now, it just gives you some new ones.