Audio Equipment

Sol

Storage is cool
It is now but we've yet to see any real enforcement. The thing that worries me about HDMI and HDCP is that they have DRM options that can be switched on later (I.E the enforcement of lower resolutions for some devices).

The encryption couldn't help the difficulty with splitting the audio and video. I would expect that if they dropped the encryption then the processing power saved could either make HD devices cheaper or maybe even be used to implement some sort of lossless compression that might reduce the bandwidth requirements enough to allow for longer cables.

HDMI doesn't allow me to have my computer connected to a TV in another room (Which I've been known to do) it doesn't give me a great deal of flexability with picking a seperate sound and video device to suit my needs, or building one from off the shelf componants (I mean amplifiers and speakers rather than mosfets and capacitors). I doubt a whole heap of audio equipment will be supporting HDMI at all since it can't easily (or practically may be a better word) be used as a dedicated audio only technology so I'm left with (potentially) a really nice hifi for playing my music which isn't interoperable with my surround sound system or HD TV.

I don't know, to be honest (and as you might have guessed) I haven't done all that much research on the technology, if I can use it to plug my Wii into my TV (When and if I buy a Wii and a TV) then that's the extent of the use I'll have for it. But it seems like a technology that's potentially quite good at exactly what it's designed for but which is almost useless if there is no specific hardware which is purpose-built and certified by the relevant working groups (Read MPAA) for your exact situation. I.E your amp supports HDMI pass through, that's not the same as having HDMI inputs and outputs, you can't get a CD player with HDMI output and plug it in, you can't hook up your HDMI portable music player (unless it's a video player I guess), and sure that's not what HDMI is for and your amp probably has other inputs, but if the move in the industry is towards HDMI only, and if the MPAA pretty much control the HDMI standard (And the ability of any manufacturer to implement it via licensing and legally enforced copy protection systems) then it seems like a lot of consumer choice could be put in the hands of people with a vested interest in, and a track record of having no scruples about, limiting that choice. And that would suck.

Pradeep

Storage? I am Storage!
I don't understand what you mean by not being able to have your PC hooked up to your TV in another room?

http://www.monoprice.com/products/subdepartment.asp?c_id=102&cp_id=10240&style=

There's cables for 50ft+

Almost every A/V receiver now coming to the market has some type of HDMI switching.

You definitely won't need HDMI to hook up your Wii, it only does 480p. The best cabling available is component output. HDMI is designed to transmit HD video (plus a ton of channels of up to uncompressed audio). If your needs are met with good ole S/PDIF via toslink or co-ax, then there is no need for you to worry.

ddrueding

Fixture
Well, now that my priorities have been reassigned, I've just ordered one of these. I hope all will be well.

Any comments on how the quality of the sound will compare to my dear Klipsch 2.1?

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
A little light in the digital input department.
Your Klipsches will sound louder and boomier. You are probably used to that. You can still use them for your front left and right speakers if you really want though.

ddrueding

Fixture
...and in less than 2 hours, crutchfield was able to charge my card, prep the order and ship it! Now I have to refuse the order and get my money back...eventually.

Buck

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.hlmcompany.com
I have no current plans of purchasing audio equipment, however, I do have some audio equipment questions.

While looking at different brands and devices, I've come across a setup using a B&K Reference 50 S2 processor and a B&K Reference 200.7 S2 amp. Any opinions on that equipment?

timwhit

Hairy Aussie
I am planning on buying some rear speakers and a new center channel.

Currently I have a pair of NHT 2.5i's for my fronts and an old center channel that I am not satisfied with.

My couch is up against the rear wall, so I plan on wall mounting either a pair of these or a pair of these.

I think I will get this for my center.

I am not sure how these will match up with the 2.5i's. Also, I am not sure how the the rear speakers will sounds when wall mounted above the couch. Something like this would work for the mounts.

Anyone have any comments or a better solution than what I have come up with?

ddrueding

Fixture
My surround right/left and rear right/left speakers have mounting points, but the front right/left and center channel don't. I'll have to figure something out, they are kinda heavy.

ddrueding

Fixture
Should I be trying to get a 50' optical cable to connect my X-Plosion to my reciever? Or will a simple coax connection be enough?

timwhit

Hairy Aussie
Those say they are best for side-wall mounting. I am planning on mounting them behind the couch or slightly to the side on the same wall as the couch.

Buck

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.hlmcompany.com
Those say they are best for side-wall mounting. I am planning on mounting them behind the couch or slightly to the side on the same wall as the couch.

Those Rocket surround speakers would seem to work nice behind the audience if there were perpendicular walls nearby on both sides.

timwhit

Hairy Aussie
There really aren't any walls nearby, which is why I think I am going to have to mount behind the couch. Anyone have experience with this kind of setup?

Stereodude

Not really a
Should I be trying to get a 50' optical cable to connect my X-Plosion to my reciever? Or will a simple coax connection be enough?
RG-59 or RG-60 will probably work better than a 50' optical cable, and be cheaper too. However, a 50' optical cable would probably be fine.

Buck

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.hlmcompany.com
There really aren't any walls nearby, which is why I think I am going to have to mount behind the couch. Anyone have experience with this kind of setup?

My current speakers are similar to the ones you referenced. I mounted them on stands so that they would be a few inches above the back of my sofa and there wouldn't be any damage to my walls. I put them at the outer corners of the sofa and then pointed them in at an angle. The effect is good.

Stereodude

Not really a
How far from the back wall is your couch? The Rocket Dipoles will work fine on the back wall, but you might want to rewire the tweeter to be in phase rather than out of phase.

timwhit

Hairy Aussie
My couch is right up against the wall. I really can't move it out because the room is pretty narrow and I need as much room as possible.

I assume this will make the sound suffer, but I am unwilling to give up any more floor space. I live in a fairly small condo.

Those rockets are a bit expensive as well. I was looking to spend less than $400 for the pair.

Will those NHT's sound bad with my configuration? Do I need to look into a dipole speaker similar to the rocket?

Stereodude

Not really a
Just FYI: The "rear" speakers for DD5.1 are supposed to be on the side, not behind you. Unless you're talking about speakers 6 & 7 in a 7.1 setup they shouldn't go behind you.

Still, if you want to put them behind you, with the couch up against the back wall, you're pretty much screwed because you don't have room. Have you considered in wall speakers?

ddrueding

Fixture
I got all the speakers plugged in and jury-rigged a stretch of speaker wire into an SPDIF cable. The sound is quite good; easily as good as my last, less "boom-y" as Merc said, but the sharpness and clarity is easily comparable. I'm still doing some initial listening, but I suspect I'm picking up more detail as well.

I haven't even mounted the rear speakers yet - that is going to be quite a chore because of the room layout, but it will be nice once the couch finally arrives.

timwhit

Hairy Aussie
This is what I was envisioning. My drawing is a bit crude, but gets the point across.

speakerlayout.gif

timwhit

Hairy Aussie
That is good to hear. Do you think the cheaper NHT speakers I linked above will be fine or should I go for the larger more expensive ones?

timwhit

Hairy Aussie
That was what I was thinking too. $140 for an extra 1.25" of driver probably won't make that much of a difference on the two speakers that are used the least. I think I would rather spend that $140 on a new receiver to replace my aging/crappy s*ny that is at least 7 years old.

Pradeep

Storage? I am Storage!
Most of the sound from a 5.1 soundtrack comes from the center channel, that bears the brunt of the duties. If anything, go up 1 model on the center channel.

Stereodude

Not really a
Which is why you need a center channel like this one

dscn0311.jpg

Note that's a raw MDF prototype and those are 4 7" Atom drivers.

Stereodude

Not really a
I've not had any personal experience with those brands. They're usually a little more money and they tend to have a few less bells and whistles than the big Japanese brands.