Audio Equipment

timwhit

Hairy Aussie
Well, they certainly didn't have anywhere near the amount of bass as my NHT 2.5i. Or the speakers that my friend ended up getting, the Rega R5.

This might sound strange, but the RS6 almost sounded too tight, like it would give me a headache after listening to it for too long.

e_dawg

Storage Freak
Well, they certainly didn't have anywhere near the amount of bass as my NHT 2.5i. Or the speakers that my friend ended up getting, the Rega R5.

This might sound strange, but the RS6 almost sounded too tight, like it would give me a headache after listening to it for too long.

Well, the NHT 2.5 has what amounts to its own internal sub. No question it would have an abundance of bass. Unfortunately, it would be too big (15.5" deep) for my room.

Now the Rega seems interesting. A bit like a junior version of the NHT side-firing sub layout but a more manageable 13.5" of depth and 8.6" wide.

I was drawn to speakers like the Totem Sttaf and the MA RS6 because they are compact towers and I have space restrictions to work with. The RS6 is only 9.8" deep and 7.3" wide (the Sttaf is even smaller than that). Also, being in a condo, neighbours really don't like it when the bass permeates through the walls and sends reverbations that into their units.

I wish I had listened to the R5 in my auditions, as it might be barely doable in terms of size, but come to think of it, I don't know any dealers that carry Rega speakers in my area. In any event, the RS6 is on its way. If the bass performance is underwhelming, I will look around to see if I can audition the Regas.

I know what you mean about the sound. It is definitely very clear, quick, crisp, detailed and open. Not warm, mellow, or smooth. I can see how it could give you a headache after a while, especially if you use it with the wrong components
(e.g., a mediocre CD player). The modded Music Hall I currently use has a custom clock circuit and an all discrete analog stage (no op-amps) that is not as shrill as some of its competition. It makes a big difference.

I was thinking of going with a tube buffered front end at some point (like an outboard Scott Nixon Tube DAC or Shanling T100 tube CD player) which could add just enough weight and warmth and be just the ticket to round out the sound.

timwhit

Hairy Aussie
I'm in a fairly small condo myself, around 500 SF. We have thick floors and walls though, so I haven't gotten any complaints yet, and I have been here for close to 2 years. I've had my NHT's for about 7 years now and I am still pretty happy with them. I wonder how long they will last before they start to degrade in sound quality.

e_dawg

Storage Freak
Well my previous neighbour was quite annoying with his setup. He must have had a sub along the adjoining wall, 'cause the bass went right through. I think he might have been a DJ or just into electronic keyboards / bass, etc. as he tended to play the same passages over and over again, as if he was practising or trying to loop samples or something. He left after about a year, possibly because of resident complaints. It wasn't so much that the music was too loud sometimes; it was more that his music was too loud at 1-2 AM on weekdays at least once a week every week.

The NHT's should last for quite a while (20 years wouldn't be too much of a stretch). I think the points of failure would be the driver surrounds and the caps in the crossover circuit. Don't know what the driver surrounds are made of in the 2.5's, but the 1.3A used butyl rubber type surrounds that would take a long time to dry out and crack.

Usually, the old foam surrounds would rot or disintegrate, and some of the inferior rubber surrounds would dry out and crack. You would think they try to use the good rubber in NHT's.

The caps, well, you can always replace those with even better quality ones if they die (assuming they don't fry your tweeters or your amp first).

e_dawg

Storage Freak
In any event, the RS6 is on its way. If the bass performance is underwhelming, I will look around to see if I can audition the Regas.

Hooked up the system on Friday and played it virtually continuously all weekend to break it in. Listened to it and found that there was more than enough bass. Actually, too much bass overall, although could use a touch more extension in the lowest octave. Also found the tweeter a little bright as well. Overall, this speaker could use a bit more energy in the lower midrange... between 200-800 Hz or so. Kinda like the opposite of the B&W DM600 series.

e_dawg

Storage Freak
It's possible, although every speaker that sounds fine with good recordings (Sheffield, Chesky, Mo-Fi, etc.) sounds bright with mainstream rock/pop/jazz from the major labels. I audition speakers with the best recordings I have, but there is so much more music in my collection that I listen to at home.

I have yet to find a great speaker that is forgiving with crappily produced music. Bose was good for that sort of thing, but when I wanted to "go hi-fi", it wouldn't cut it.

ddrueding

Fixture
A stereo for the office. Looking for a 2-speaker system with Amp. No need for multiple audio sources, no size restrictions. Specifically looking for something that doesn't need a subwoofer to fill in the low/mid range and sounds good at very low volume.

If nothing will work better than a $400 Onkyo HT setup, then I'll get that, but something simpler would be nice.

ddrueding

Fixture
Something is wrong with my center channel speaker, it simply isn't putting out the volume that it should. It is much quieter than the other channels no matter what I do. Perhaps I blew it out?

Anyway, in the market for a new one. The other speakers in the setup are the cheap ones that came with the Onkyo HTIB, but the receiver is a new Onkyo TX-SR507.

Going a step or two up would be nice, but I don't want to overspend (I know, I know).

I know nothing about this, so any advice would be appreciated.

Stereodude

Not really a
I'd try swapping one of your front L or R speakers with the center before you conclude that the speaker is bad.

MaxBurn

Storage Is My Life
Hopefully you just changed something on the receiver like center level or a different sound shape to reduce the center.

About 10-15 years ago I got polk speakers, decent ones near top of the line then and they have never let me down and still sound great. Would not hesitate to go top of the line polk again, like their new stuff too.

Howell

Storage? I am Storage!
Perhaps I blew it out?

I've never seen a speaker blow anything outside of the cone. And actually that should be the only part you might not be able to replace (though you might be able to buy a replacement whole speaker for the box).

Anyway, if it was the cone that blew you should still get volume but it would be buzzy and unclear at medium to high volumes.

ddrueding

Fixture
It does seem like it is a configuration issue and not the speaker. Playing BR movies works fine, but DVDs lose huge amounts of dialog. It is a complex setup, so I'll investigate further and likely open a new thread. Thank you for the replies, I'll look into a new center channel anyway ;)

MaxBurn

Storage Is My Life
Hmm, bi-amped center speaker without the big drivers, now that is something I haven't seen before.

ddrueding

Fixture
Turned out to be a configuration issue. Though I'm now tentatively looking at a complete 5.1 speaker setup. I'll probably start with the fronts and the sub if I don't get them all at once.

Handruin

Administrator
I would find some local audio stores and just start listening to different speakers. Figure out what you'll use the system mostly for and bring some audio samples you know with you to listen to (movies, CDs, DVD-A).

timwhit

Hairy Aussie
If you already have an idea of what you want, check out Audiogon. There's lots of nice stuff on there.

My fronts are NHT 2.5i, I bought them in 2000 and I still love them. I believe I paid around $800 for the pair, they originally MSRPed for $1300 for the pair.

I heard the Anthony Gallo Reference 3.1 speakers a while back at a high end store, they blew me away. If I was looking to drop serious money I would definitely consider them.

ddrueding

Fixture
I would find some local audio stores and just start listening to different speakers. Figure out what you'll use the system mostly for and bring some audio samples you know with you to listen to (movies, CDs, DVD-A).

That will definitely be the route to take if it turns out I'll be spending any significant amount of money. The speakers I have now are the ones that came with my $300 Onkyo HTiB kit a few years ago(1). To be honest, these speakers are just fine for my needs, but need to be allocated elsewhere(2). Buying the same as I have now seems silly, so I am interested in taking one, maybe two steps up. I'm sure Stereodude and Merc will gag, but can $750-$1000 get me 5.1 worth of decent speakers?

(1)I've since upgraded the receiver to one that supports HDMI (and may be upgrading again to one that can actually convert Composite/S-Video to HDMI, but that is another topic).

(2)Unfortunately, my parents are in need of something better than what they have now (my 1997 Cambridge Soundworks 5.1 cubes). They get my leftovers, and they need new speakers, so I need to get new speakers.

Stereodude

Not really a
I guess that's depends on your definition of "decent". :p

Are you really trying to get a subwoofer along with 5 speakers for $750-$1k? The 7 speakers I want for my basement HT are $13.5k (excluding subwoofers).

timwhit

Hairy Aussie
I'm sure Stereodude and Merc will gag, but can $750-$1000 get me 5.1 worth of decent speakers?

I think you would be much better off just buying some decent front towers and a center. Skip the sub and the rears until you have more money to spend.

I would also look to buy something used that cost multiple times more when new. Yes, speakers can be damaged and can wear out, but most people that buy high end gear take good care of it.

ddrueding

Fixture
I guess that's depends on your definition of "decent". :p

Are you really trying to get a subwoofer along with 5 speakers for $750-$1k? The 7 speakers I want for my basement HT are $13.5k (excluding subwoofers).

Yup. 5 speakers and a sub for under a grand. Decent in this case refers to something appreciably better than what I have. The set I have now needs to go somewhere else, so I can't just upgrade some of them. I am not opposed to buying used, but know nothing about speakers or where to get them.

Handruin

Administrator
Everyone is going to have their take on what good sounding speakers are. To answer your question, yes, you can get a decent sounding setup for under $1000. I know I'll get snubbed for having Cambridge SoundWorks, but they sound fine. I have a pair of the Model 6 speakers on stands for my sides and a CS Center Stage for the mid. I have a powered (75W) 10" BaseCube 10. My rear speakers are a pair of boston acoustic bookshelf speakers. All are powered by my Yamaha DD 5.1 receiver. The model 6 are about 15 years old, the Boston acoustics are about 18 years old, the Center Stage is about 8 years old and the BaseCube 10 is about 6 years old.

timwhit

Hairy Aussie
A used system like this would work for you, if you insist on the full 5.1. Just look around at that site, I'm sure you can find something very decent within your budget.

fb

Storage is cool
Hmm, bi-amped center speaker without the big drivers, now that is something I haven't seen before.
You can run almost all Linn speakers in single/bi-wired/bi-amped or active configurations, on the pretty new ones like the Trikan you just change to another link board around the terminals and you're set. :)

My home cinema dream (within a reasonable budget) is actually the Trikan with Ninkas as fronts and Katans as rear channels and one used Linn 5125 amplifier... And perhaps one Polk DSW 500 as sub - they are supposed to be very good for the price.

ddrueding

Fixture
My wife has voiced her...concern...over the size and appearance of some of the speakers I'm looking at. What are people's thoughts on in-wall/in-ceiling speakers/subs? This (compromising with her) is one of the ways I can grow my budget.

MaxBurn

Storage Is My Life
You can run almost all Linn speakers in single/bi-wired/bi-amped or active configurations, on the pretty new ones like the Trikan you just change to another link board around the terminals and you're set. :)

My home cinema dream (within a reasonable budget) is actually the Trikan with Ninkas as fronts and Katans as rear channels and one used Linn 5125 amplifier... And perhaps one Polk DSW 500 as sub - they are supposed to be very good for the price.

Yeah but I thought the whole point was to separate out the bass frequencies from dirtying up the treble like is very common now in the main speakers now. I guess this is just taking that a step further and I shouldn't be surprised, just the first I have seen it.

ddrueding, check into some vintage stuff people are upgrading all the time and selling the old stuff. I am still using some polk studio monitor 12 series 2 mains and love them. Paired them up with a CS245 and four RT25 and a PSW450 for home theater use. I can't imagine they are worth much if I were to sell them.

Stereodude

Not really a
My wife has voiced her...concern...over the size and appearance of some of the speakers I'm looking at. What are people's thoughts on in-wall/in-ceiling speakers/subs? This (compromising with her) is one of the ways I can grow my budget.
Put on the pants and get what you want. ;)

The short version is that In wall speakers basically suck unless you spend a lot of money on high end (read expensive / well out of your budget) in wall speakers. Here's an example of a decent in walls.

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
You probably can get decent speakers for $750 if you're willing to buy used ones off ebay, ddrueding. That requires a bit of a leap of faith that the person who owned them didn't abuse them, but even at that, expensive speakers can be repaired.

I'm slowly working on getting a set of non-reference Kef speakers for my bedroom set. So far I've managed to buy a big center channel (iq60c) and two of the four iq30s I need, and I've only spent about $380 including all the shipping, which is maybe 1/3 of the retail price.

fb

Storage is cool
"It's easier to ask forgiveness than it is to get permission"

No, but seriously, I agree with MaxBurn, getting vintage stuff is probably the best solution.