Audio Equipment

Stereodude

Not really a
The AS-MT2 are very inefficient though. The AS-MTM2 are a bit better, but still may be low depending on how loud ddrueding plans to listen.

ddrueding

Fixture
Thanks for all the advice so far. It looks like I will be trying to acquire some Polk in-wall speakers via eBay as I can. I suspect I'll be looking at the TCi and not the LCi, but compromises are what they are. I'm currently battling to get an RS4, so I can let this slide.

Pradeep

Storage? I am Storage!
The AS-MT2 are very inefficient though. The AS-MTM2 are a bit better, but still may be low depending on how loud ddrueding plans to listen.

Well if effortless loudness on a couple of Watts is what you are after a quintet of Klipshorns would do the job.

ddrueding

Fixture
I don't really understand this whole thing. I know that many people don't like Klipsch because of "Horn-loaded tweeters" or something. No idea what that means, or what the deal is. What I like about them is that they sound good down to really low volume.

Stereodude

Not really a
It had to do with the characteristic sound of a horn (which isn't really a characteristic of a well designed horn, but more the way Klipsch designed them to sound). If you're talking about Klipsch PC speakers I'm not sure they have the real Klipsch characteristic sound.

Klipsch actually made some good speakers not too long ago that didn't have their characteristic sound and were actually good sounding speakers. The problem was that they didn't end up appealing to anyone. Klipsch lovers didn't like the sound, and the portion of the people who didn't like the old Klipsch sound were scared off because they were still Klipsch and horns and didn't consider them (never listening to them).

Handruin

Administrator
Do any of you like psb speakers? I was into them many years back but haven't kept up to date with them. There is a local audio shop that sells them near me. I'm thinking of going over for a listen.

MaxBurn

Storage Is My Life
Certainly are different speakers for people that like different sounds, myself I like the classic polk soft dome tweeter. I happen to know some of their range so just for kicks:

Polk series 5 $36
http://cgi.ebay.com/PAIR-OF-POLK-AU...mQQptZSpeakers_Subwoofers?hash=item3ca9dad244

Series 7 $100
http://cgi.ebay.com/Polk-Audio-7-Mo...mQQptZSpeakers_Subwoofers?hash=item4a9e6dde81

I would hold out for the 10's or 12's like I have but the audiophiles seem to snatch them up darn quick.

CS245 center $45
http://cgi.ebay.com/POLK-AUDIO-CS24...mQQptZSpeakers_Subwoofers?hash=item53df97e9ec

One RT-25 shelf speaker for wide or surround. Makes you wonder where the rest went. Overpriced at $39.
http://cgi.ebay.com/Polk-Audio-Sing...mQQptZSpeakers_Subwoofers?hash=item20af6e8de9

10" Subwoofer PSW450 $89
http://cgi.ebay.com/NICE-Polk-Audio...mQQptZSpeakers_Subwoofers?hash=item5ad6f09fdc

All that is just right now, I bet with some time I could put something together for very little money using top end vintage stuff with a budget of say $800.

fb

Storage is cool
Another alternative is to get just two channel sound. Two good speakers should be better than five or six less good ones. I get plenty of 3D sound from my >10 year old Linn Tukans...

And don't upgrade the receiver unless it's really necessary. Conversion from component to HDMI can only degrade the signal, maybe it's worth it if you only want one cable between the receiver and TV/projector but I can't see any other use. It's only expensive in the long run to buy new cheap stuff every year or so. Before you know it you've spent $3000 on crap that you could just as well have spent on one good receiver or 7.1 pre-amplifier that will last at least 10-15 years. That's how I'm reasoning when buying stereo equipment, I don't know if it's right or wrong.

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
And don't upgrade the receiver unless it's really necessary. Conversion from component to HDMI can only degrade the signal, maybe it's worth it if you only want one cable between the receiver and TV/projector but I can't see any other use.

Full quality sound from BluRay discs requires HDMI. I don't spend enough time watching BDs for it to matter to me yet, and none of my receivers do HDMI anyway, but I'm aware my setup is less than optimal for that.

MaxBurn

Storage Is My Life
Also many people are considering media players that can pass TrueHD or DTS HD-MA quality streams through HDMI and I am thinking that a lot of those players don't exactly put much value in a quality preamp level output, if they even offer analog output. In that case I would much prefer to go coax or optical and let the player strip the core audio for 5.1 or play the 5.1 track.

I didn't go that route but I could have, I just choose to go with the receiver for the HD audio plus a whole ton of other goodies.

fb

Storage is cool
Full quality sound from BluRay discs requires HDMI. I don't spend enough time watching BDs for it to matter to me yet, and none of my receivers do HDMI anyway, but I'm aware my setup is less than optimal for that.
I understand, I'm not against HDMI. It's just that I (maybe mis)understood it like ddrueding might upgrade the receiver to one that could convert composite and S-video to HDMI. Of course it's no problem if it comes with an otherwise great receiver, but I don't think it should be a major factor when taking the decision since extra signal conversions is against my religious beliefs. ;)

Another thing, I just remembered Scandyna, their speakers should have a high WAF and the sound is also supposed to be pretty good.

ddrueding

Fixture
I have made basically my entire system HDMI, except the Wii and the VCR, which I can't. I don't want to run extra cables all the way up to the ceiling-mounted projector, and use an extra remote just for them.

ddrueding

Fixture
So is this the cheapest Onkyo receiver that will take whatever I give it and convert it to HDMI?

I would also love to have it output to two HDMI sources simultaneously (A splitter, not a matrix), but it looks like it would be cheaper to buy a separate splitter.

MaxBurn

Storage Is My Life
On the receiver can you stretch a bit and get the 180 for the Faroudja DCDi CINEMA with 1080p upscaling and THX Select2 Plus?

Pradeep

Storage? I am Storage!
There are receivers coming on the market with HDMI 1.4 and likely 2 outputs.

http://www.avrev.com/home-theater-n...dmi-1.4-compatible-entry-level-receivers.html

Entry level with 1.4 @ @229.

Personally I have the Pioneer 1018 (1.3), works great with the PS3.

In the mid range there should be dual output 1.4 receivers in that price range. Given your penchant for high resolutions, the 4K support seems like a future proof no brainer.

ddrueding

Fixture
Yup, 4k and 3D support make a lot of sense if I'm spending over a grand. If I wait until we are in the house and the low voltage conduit is in place, that gives me about 6 months. That should be enough time for some 1.4 stuff to enter the market.

Handruin

Administrator
Wow, that guy has some serious charges against him. What a douche bag for taking donation money for himself.

Stereodude

Not really a
I love the Catalyst 12's. They're a little too rich for my blood at $3500 each. Thankfully Mark is coming out with a somewhat more budget friendly scaled down version that I will be using for the front 3 speakers in my HT.

ddrueding

Fixture
Thinking of getting a pair of good speakers for my birthday. These would be the front right/left of the home theater system, and I was considering Polk LSi9 (eBay, ~$700/pair). Unfortunately, the cabinetry that they will be going into was only going to be 12" deep. Are there good bang/buck speakers in that price range that will fit in that cabinet? Is looking for a good speaker that is less than 12" deep unreasonable?