Audio Equipment

Lena

What is this storage?
Actually that was for the 4300, looks like the 3300 model is available from US shipping to Canada,
I used an adress in Quebec City: View attachment 1243

The screenshot is from Amazon right? i could have sworn it sought of looks like Aliexpress and i always say that anything with wires shouldn't be bought from Aliexpress. Lol

Stereodude

Not really a
I didn't realize these weren't going to ship for almost 6 months when I joined. It's not a big deal to me as I have plenty of headphones to listen to in the mean time, but that is a LONG wait.
So my HD6XX headphone arrived on Friday. I gave them a quick listen yesterday just to make sure they worked. They seem to be working okay. Nothing immediately objectionable about the sound. As I expected they're a little different in sound from some of the other headphones I have (which don't all sound the same either). I'll give them a better listen in the near future.

Handruin

Administrator
Do you have any other headphones from Sennheiser? I use my HD6XX at work every day and enjoy them.

Stereodude

Not really a
Do you have any other headphones from Sennheiser? I use my HD6XX at work every day and enjoy them.
I had a pair of noise cancelling headphones from them many years ago that I no longer use, but that hardly counts. My office is too noisy for open headphones, so I use closed back headphones.

Stereodude

Not really a
I'll give them a better listen in the near future.
So I've listened to them much closer and longer this morning from my Sony NW-A35 Walkman. They image very nicely and have good clarity and transparency without being overly bright or glaring. I do wish they had a little more low end thump at the very bottom though.

On a pair of HD650 right now, and I'm quite happy with them. Lighter and slimmer than others I have of the same sound quality.
According to all accounts the HD6XX are the HD650's with a shorter cord and slightly different cosmetics.

ddrueding

Fixture
...and earlier reports of poor quality on HiFiMan equipment....totally on-point. The foam ear-cup on my 400i has separated completely. I'm sure I can just glue it back on, but c'mon....

snowhiker

Storage Freak Apprentice
...and earlier reports of poor quality on HiFiMan equipment....totally on-point. The foam ear-cup on my 400i has separated completely. I'm sure I can just glue it back on, but c'mon....

Make sure you use $699/ounce audiophile glue and allow them to cure in an oxygen free environment.

LunarMist

I can't believe I'm a Fixture
Evacuate the air to a high vacuum (0.05 Torr), then purge with a pure inert gas (5.0 helium or nitrogen) and repeat a few times to be sure. ;)

ddrueding

Fixture
The trick is it needs to work with the metal mesh, foam inner, and leather(ish) outer at the same time. No CA because of the foam. Hot glue? Epoxy of some kind?

LunarMist

Can you dissolve some polyurethane and add a binder for the foam?

Stereodude

Not really a
Hot glue may melt the foam depending on the type of foam. What about a double sided tape or contact cement?

ddrueding

Fixture
The metal mesh might have a hard time with the tape, not a lot of surface area available. Contact cement is an interesting idea; is there a foam-melting concern there as well?

LunarMist

Ideally you want to dissolve the surface of the foam, not melt it.

Stereodude

Not really a
The HiFiman Sundara headphones sound amazing! They're quite comfortable too. I think a pair is in my future.

Handruin

Administrator
In the not too distant past I've read of more and more complaints against HiFiman quality and how they treat customers when they need warranty work. Have you noticed any of this in your internet travels?

Handruin

Administrator
The impedance of 37Ω makes them appear appear on paper to be easy to drive. The price is certainly better than the new HD820 from Sennheiser...not that these are directly comparable.

Stereodude

Not really a
In the not too distant past I've read of more and more complaints against HiFiman quality and how they treat customers when they need warranty work. Have you noticed any of this in your internet travels?
Yes, I've seen the same complaining that they won't sell parts and that they're not so friendly with warranty claims. It wouldn't stop me from buying, but I would give it some consideration.

The products from them I do have held up well and still work.

Stereodude

Not really a
So I ordered up the HE-560 instead of the Sundara despite having not heard them. I saw a few people on HeadFi indicate they thought the HE-560 sounded better than the Sundara. I had been eyeballing the HE-560's for many months as an upgrade to my HE-500s when they first dropped to $499. Supposedly they're on their way to being discontinued with production already stopped and they are quite a bit cheaper than when they first came out. On the other hand, the Sundara is brand new and still at the opening price.

Does the older originally $899, now $499 model sound better than the new $499 model? I guess I will find out.

ddrueding

Fixture
The quality on my HE400i did dissapoint. The cables developed static when moving within a month and the foam earcup came off within 6 months of daily use. The sound is great, but I'll be going back to Sennheiser next time I buy.

LunarMist

The quality on my HE400i did dissapoint. The cables developed static when moving within a month and the foam earcup came off within 6 months of daily use. The sound is great, but I'll be going back to Sennheiser next time I buy.

German vs. Chinese, hmm.

Handruin

Administrator
The quality issues and the perceived poor customer relations from HiFiMan keep me from being more interested in their products.

Handruin

Administrator
I worded it that way because I've never owned any of their products and I'm only going based on angry comments online. I'm not surprised you were able to easily reference another example. If their products cost less I might gamble but if I'm going to spend $500+ for that risk.

Stereodude

Not really a
The HD6XX sounds pretty good, but pale in comparison to the HE-500s I have. They are more comfortable though. Of course they were less than half the price.

I'm not sure what's going on with my HE-560 order. I guess buying from the cheapest place has its disadvantages as they haven't shipped and it's sitting pending.

Edit: I now have a tracking number.

Last edited:

Handruin

Administrator
Not only are the HD6XX less than half the price, you also need less expensive supporting audio gear like amp/DAC to drive them reasonably well. I imagine that for you to get what you paid for out of the HE-500's you would want to purchase a decent amp/DAC to drive those. I carry my HD6xx in my computer bag and use them all day long without fatigue.

Handruin

Administrator
That's a neat device. I wasn't aware they made devices like that. I have one of their audio recorders.

Stereodude

Not really a
I have the worst luck with USB DACs. The nice Grace m9XX unit I got from Massdrop doesn't play nice with my work PC (Lenovo T470s running Windows 7). In both the Class 1 mode (driverless) and the Class 2 mode (requires drivers) there are regular periodic glitches in the audio. The Audio-Gd DACs I have played nice with XP, but the chipset in them doesn't play nice with 7 or newer. I should just get my CM6631A USB to SPDIF board and feed the Grace M9XX that way. That's what I did with the Audio-Gd unit I had at my last job. It should be in the box of stuff I brought home...

Handruin

Administrator
I've had some weird quirks with my XDuoo XD-05 DAC/Amp which is similar to the luck you've described. It's quirky enough that I don't really use it any more.

Stereodude

Not really a
I've had some weird quirks with my XDuoo XD-05 DAC/Amp which is similar to the luck you've described. It's quirky enough that I don't really use it any more.
I mostly just use it to listen to a few podcasts while at work where the glitches aren't noticeable. I'm going to bring my CM6631A board and optical cable in though and see if it behaves any better that way. I expect it will be flawless.

I should also take the Grace m9XX unit home and confirm it doesn't glitch on other PCs. I didn't listen long enough when I first got it to say one way or another.