Audio Equipment

Stereodude

Not really a
Dang it all... Adorama has the HE-560's on sale for $350 shipped. Beats the $470 I just paid by just a bit. :scratch: And of course, the place I purchased from doesn't accept returns.

You can't win them all... :cursin:

Handruin

Administrator
Can you not accept the shipment and have them sent back? That sucks...where did you buy them that they don't accept returns?

Is there a special discount code or something at Adorama? When I look them up they're listed at $499 on their website? That is a decent discount if you can get it.

Stereodude

Not really a
Can you not accept the shipment and have them sent back? That sucks...where did you buy them that they don't accept returns?
HiFiHeaven... I thought about trying to refuse the shipment but the whole thing will turn into a big mess with a restocking fee or them not taking it. Win some... Lose some...

Is there a special discount code or something at Adorama? When I look them up they're listed at $499 on their website? That is a decent discount if you can get it.
I followed the link posted on slickdeals.net to see it.

Handruin

Administrator
That's great to learn they sound really good. I've read positive reviews but I've not heard them. The price is really good for a pair of towers if they really do sound that good.

Stereodude

Not really a
That's great to learn they sound really good. I've read positive reviews but I've not heard them. The price is really good for a pair of towers if they really do sound that good.
I try to help other people spend money. It's one of my skills. :D

Stereodude

Not really a
Well, I'm very underwhelmed with the HE-560. I think they sound pretty bad. Nothing like my HE-500.

Edit: It's the stupid cable. The balanced XLR cable is wired wrong. Idiots... Oh, and it's glued together so I can't open it up and fix it.

Last edited:

LunarMist

I can't believe I'm a Fixture
I sent them an e-mail. We'll see if their support is as bad as their reputation.

FWIW, the headphones sound good with the 1/4" TRS cable.

Is the cable is removable? Maybe they can send you a new one.

I cannot hear well over 10K, so I would not spend that kind of money on a head phone.

Stereodude

Not really a
HiFiman is living up(down?) to their reputation. They replied to my e-mail with a response basically claiming that they don't include a 4-pin balanced XLR cable with HE-560's and that must have been an accessory Adorama included. Nevermind the fact that the extra XLR cable was included in the factory sealed box (with their special seal sticker) and is an exact cosmetic match to the 1/4" TRS cable. I sent a reply to them, but have very low expectations.

Adorama is out of stock now so I just see this blowing up into a full unmitigated disaster with any sort of exchange (since they can't and will want the whole thing back). A Neutrik 4 pin male XLR connector is less than $5, so re-terminating the cable correctly with a new XLR connector is most likely going to be the easiest and most painless solution.

LunarMist

HiFiman is living up(down?) to their reputation. They replied to my e-mail with a response basically claiming that they don't include a 4-pin balanced XLR cable with HE-560's and that must have been an accessory Adorama included. Nevermind the fact that the extra XLR cable was included in the factory sealed box (with their special seal sticker) and is an exact cosmetic match to the 1/4" TRS cable. I sent a reply to them, but have very low expectations.

Adorama is out of stock now so I just see this blowing up into a full unmitigated disaster with any sort of exchange (since they can't and will want the whole thing back). A Neutrik 4 pin male XLR connector is less than $5, so re-terminating the cable correctly with a new XLR connector is most likely going to be the easiest and most painless solution.

If you return the whole package the replacement may have a more serious defect. ;)

Stereodude

Not really a
:cursin: Okay, so both pairs of the HE-560 I bought have a rattle with low frequency content, like a 20Hz test tone. The Adorama pair has a moderate rattle in the right ear cup. The HifiHeaven pair has a pretty bad rattle in the left ear cup. The rattle in both sets is audible in real musical content played at sane volume levels.

I've already got an ongoing dialog with HiFiman over the bad XLR cable. They finally got back to me and seem to be offering to replace it. I guess I can add the headphones themselves to the conversation.

Part of me wants to make one working set between the two, but I guess I will see what they say first. There is also the possibility that the drivers are a match pair (seems like a stretch considering what they're shipping out the door).

LunarMist

:cursin: Okay, so both pairs of the HE-560 I bought have a rattle with low frequency content, like a 20Hz test tone. The Adorama pair has a moderate rattle in the right ear cup. The HifiHeaven pair has a pretty bad rattle in the left ear cup. The rattle in both sets is audible in real musical content played at sane volume levels.

I've already got an ongoing dialog with HiFiman over the bad XLR cable. They finally got back to me and seem to be offering to replace it. I guess I can add the headphones themselves to the conversation.

Part of me wants to make one working set between the two, but I guess I will see what they say first. There is also the possibility that the drivers are a match pair (seems like a stretch considering what they're shipping out the door).

Two pairs? I thought you were not happy with the first one. I'd return the one from Adormama for a refund, since the other side may start to vibrate later or something else will malfunction.
Considering the high cost one would expect that they are individually tested at the fractory, but perhaps not. :(

Stereodude

Not really a
Two pairs? I thought you were not happy with the first one. I'd return the one from Adormama for a refund, since the other side may start to vibrate later or something else will malfunction.
Considering the high cost one would expect that they are individually tested at the fractory, but perhaps not. :(
The Adorama pair was actually the 2nd pair I bought. The first pair I bought arrived after the Adorama set.

LunarMist

The Adorama pair was actually the 2nd pair I bought. The first pair I bought arrived after the Adorama set.

Bummer. At least the cans were on sale, but the aggravation must feel like far more than $800. :(

Handruin

Administrator
That's a little better but still annoying you have to send them all out so soon after buying them.

LunarMist

I hope it is not like Merc and his Samsung drives that were not heard from again.

Handruin

Administrator
Maybe...it'll be interesting how long it takes them to get them back to you.

Stereodude

Not really a
I hope it is not like Merc and his Samsung drives that were not heard from again.
That's what insurance on the shipment is for.

Maybe...it'll be interesting how long it takes them to get them back to you.
Supposed they will ship replacements as soon as they get them (per the instructions they sent me). "We will arrange the replacement upon receiving your packaged item."

Handruin

Administrator
Oh that's nice. Given both your units had the resonating issue, is there any expectations the new ones will not have this defect?

Stereodude

Not really a
Oh that's nice. Given both your units had the resonating issue, is there any expectations the new ones will not have this defect?
I'd like to think they'd screen them for the specific defect if they're really cross shipping a replacement, but that's probably expecting too much.

Stereodude

Not really a
So I got two new (at least to me) sets of HE-560 yesterday and a balanced XLR cable back from HiFiMan. This cable is wired correctly this time. These HE-560's are considerably better than the last two with regards to low frequency rattle, but are not perfect. They each have a very slight noise in one ear cup with a 20Hz test tone. One in the left, one in the right. It is not audible in the same real content that the last two failed. The pair with the left ear problem may be fixable with a slight adjustment to the screws. Moving the cable going into the earpiece can make it come and go. The pair with the right ear issue has more of slight tick sound, not a rattle. I haven't been able to make it come and go though I haven't tried too hard yet.

At this point I should probably cut my losses and just keep them since it's not audible in real musical content since I'm 4/4 with these and they otherwise sound quite good.

fb

Storage is cool
I bought a pair of wireless Sennheiser Momentum Over Ear a few months ago. I wanted to buy the ones with cable but they only seem to be compatible with iphone these days.

The sound is pleasant but not too engaging. I like the ability to connect to the computer with USB and to two phones with bluetooth. And the noise cancelling is of course nice to have on travels and when you share office with other people.

LunarMist

What would anyone suggest for waterproof BT headphones (not earphones)?
I want to block out the sounds in my head normally and especially in the showers.
FWIW, I tried the BT speakers, but they echo and the background water noise is too much.

Stereodude

Not really a
You want to wear and listen to headphones in the shower? I don't know if such a product exist.

What are these sounds in your head that you want to block out?

LunarMist

I don't know, maybe French or Spanish. I don't speak the language.

LunarMist

Maybe the construction. I'm not mental, but it is always something.