AVG problem

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
Fortunately, since I disable daily scanning on every system where I install AVG, it's not been an issue for anyone I know.

I'd be awfully pissed if it was an issue, though. I install AVG a LOT.
This is the second huge AVG issue they've had since the release of version 8 of their software, too. They had a problem with the link scanning browser add-on. I guess these sorts of thing are just make Avast look better and better.

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
Why don't you use Avira Antivir personal edition classic? It detects a lot more malwares than either Avast or AVG (according to avcompatives.org) and it scans faster than both others too. Best of all : it's free. The main downside for me is that the free version is only available in English, but that doesn't affect you. That and the fact that it always identifies SmithFraudFix as a threat (annoying).

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
I don't view viruses as much of a threat these days, and I like the fact that I can easily install AVG for people so that they don't have to mess with it. I like Avast better for its P2P and IM scanning options (read: the main ways that threats are likely to gain entry on most home computers), but not the way the registration works.

I've looked at Avira in the past and not found it to be particularly more compelling than either AVG or Avast in any area.