Avira Alternative

Stereodude

Not really a
Anyone have any suggestions for a good free or very inexpensive Avira Antivirus alternative?

Avira apparently now thinks it's good practice to repeatedly push you via a misleading popup to install the ASK toolbar when starting up your PC. They're also heavily advertising UniBlue Registry something or other. Both of which they previously detected as a threat, but now are just fine. ;)

LunarMist

I can't believe I'm a Fixture
I'm still using Avast. There are no ads and it is configurable enough to scan only what I want.

Stereodude

Not really a
FWIW, here is the lovely message.

avirapopup.jpg

Supposedly after you click "Install later" 3 times it goes away.

LunarMist

I can't believe I'm a Fixture
What does safe searching mean - no pr0n? :spiderman:

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
Avast is the closest to Avira Antivir for its detection rate. MSE and AVG are behind. MSE is also heavier on system ressources than either Avast or Avira Antivir.

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
MSE is generally not acceptable. It's a drag on system resources, misses too much stuff and is lacking what I consider basic functionality.

I've never liked Avira's stupid popup, either.

Mercutio

Fun, true fact for the IT guys here: MSE is only free for commercial installations of 10 computers or less. If you're going to ignore that fact, you might as well install better protection in the first place.

I've been told Forticlient is another decent free option. I still haven't felt motivated to try it.

time

Storage? I am Storage!
MSE is generally not acceptable. It's a drag on system resources, misses too much stuff and is lacking what I consider basic functionality.

Thanks Merc, I was almost starting to be sold on the idea. Does that mean Avast is still your preference?

Mercutio

For now it is. If I get to a point where I'm unsure about the quality of protection provided with Avast, I will evaluate Forticlient