B*****y IBM Deathstar's

LiamC

Storage Is My Life
Just had my 60GXP die an me (bad sectors) again. Ran DFT - "would you like to erase the disk - NOTE: you will lose all data".

It's out of warranty but has a history of this trouble according to the logs.

Not happy! :x

Tannin

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.redhill.net.au
Don't throw it away, Bill! Send it to me. :) I'll polish it lovingly, take its unlovely mugshot, and consign it to a place in my ever-growing collection of elderly computer hardware. I don't have a 75GXP, not a decent picture of one.

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
LiamC said:
How can it be out of warranty? No 60GXP has more than three years and IBM still offers three years warranty. Unless this drive comes from a third-party computer...

Handruin

Administrator
CougTek said:
LiamC said:
How can it be out of warranty? No 60GXP has more than three years and IBM still offers three years warranty. Unless this drive comes from a third-party computer...

I think after he stomped on it three times for dieing, it might be out of warranty...

LiamC

Storage Is My Life
Yeah, unfortunately the dented, scarred and scratched casing gives it away :(

It was an OEM drive.

Back into the arms of WD or Maxtor by the look of things. This is probably a good excuse to get an 80GB JB... :)

LiamC

Storage Is My Life
A curious thought just happened.

Every time this thing has failed has been when I've moved it from one motherboard to another and when I've been running (or just after) Winbench 99's Disk bench's. If I wipe it, set it up again and leave it alone, it seems to work fine.

Barry K. Nathan

What is this storage?
LiamC said:
Yeah, unfortunately the dented, scarred and scratched casing gives it away :(

FWIW, I've received 10,000RPM SCSI drives from IBM that were scarred and scratched right out of the bag! (not dented though)