Bay Multi Device

LunarMist

I can't believe I'm a Fixture
I'm not sure what to call it, but I seek one of those 5.25" front panel dealies that has a couple of USB ports and SF, SDHC, etc. sockets. Are any of them worth a damn? Technically I only need USB, but may as well have more. Thanks.

LunarMist

I find many at the Egg, but there are many problems too. Have you used that specific one with good results?

ddrueding

Fixture
They all are some level of crap; particularly the audio connections (front audio connections always suck) and the SD slots. But I've had several that worked for over a year, and they are quite cheap.

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
I found out my co-workers were advising their students to make sure their new computers had those things. It was another facepalm moment. All they do is suck and break. And not the good, awesome kind of sucking, either.

LunarMist

From what I gather they mostly use a 2-port USB header, one for the USB port and one for the readers. There are also a few devices described as hubs. Maybe I'll see what is available at Fry's next week if they are all pretty much the same junk.

MaxBurn

Storage Is My Life
I paid a little extra and got a rosewill one off newegg. Has SATA and even a little power connector off the front in addition to about every single memory card format. Still works just fine almost a year later.

I think my 6 year old floppy drive disappeared though. Won't show in windows anymore, wonder what happened to that.

LunarMist

I can pick up Fedex packages from the station at ~6-8 PM. With UPS one must hope that they leave it at the door or accept the signature for leaving it the next day. Sometimes the package cannot be left no matter what and it goes beck to the reseller after a few failed delivery attempts. :( Fedex ground is awful around here, but the regular Fedex is fine.

USPS is a major pain. The PO hours and distance from work are such that I can only retrieve packages on Saturdays. I'm not thrilled to stand in line with the masses either. :eek3:

LunarMist

I have one now, but it is not very friendly. The single USB port is cockeyed. :bstd: 64GB and 32GB CF cards are not detected. I'm not sure where the limit is and never knew there was one. :alb:

blakerwry

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
justblake.com
I found out my co-workers were advising their students to make sure their new computers had those things. It was another facepalm moment. All they do is suck and break. And not the good, awesome kind of sucking, either.

I'm pretty happy with the one that came with my Dell Dimension... I've used the CF, SD, xD, USB, and headphone/mic connections (also has a few other ports like MMC and memory stick). The SD and USB connections get the biggest workout (daily). I've never had a problem, which is impressive because I agree that most of them are crap.

LunarMist

Now the other one I bought has a different problem. Cards reads fine, albeit limited to PIO modes. However, the monitor blanks out when a USB device is inserted. WTF is up with that? :evil:

LunarMist

Now the computer will not reboot. :mad: What a POS! I wonder if it could be static charge or some weirdo wiring.