Belikin wireless any good?

mubs

Storage? I am Storage!
ClompUsa has the following on sale this week:

Belkin F5D7230-4 802.11g Router $70 - $45 rebate = $25
Belkin F5D7000 802.11g Desktop Card $50 - $30 rebate = $20
Belkin F5D7010 802.11g Notebook Card $50 - $30 rebate = $20
Belkin F5D7050 802.11g USB Adapter $60 - $40 rebate = $20

Are these good? Any performance issues that anybody knows of? TAI!

BooST

Learning Storage Performance
I don't have any personal experience with Belkin stuff, but I'm very partial to Linksys. Stay away from the USB adapter if it all possible, from what I've heard they're terrible.

I'd look for somthing with WPA, and WiFi Compatable

I was amazed by the range of my Linksys WAP54G with one of those Hawking antennas, I walked outside barefoot to see how far it would work, and I got about 1/2 a mile from the house, and realized that I should've put some shoes on!!! Got a little further than a half mile, and started dropping packets.

ddrueding

Fixture
I have the mega-cheap Belkin 802.11B AP, and it's flawless in it's completely unconfigured state. I just plugged it in and went. I haven't even seen what it's config screen looks like.

I just bought the Linksys (cisco) WAP54G and a pair of their rage extenders (only need power, not ethernet). I'll be playing with them tomorrow if anyone is interested let me know.

mubs

Storage? I am Storage!
Thanks Boost, DD. Of the reviews I've read, more than half excoriate Belkin. I did install a Linksys WRT54g for somebody, and it has been working well. Hmmmmm.............

sechs

Storage? I am Storage!
I have a Belkin wireless setup and only had issues with a DOA router, which was easily replaced.

If you're more into the configuration minutia, then Linksys might be a better choice, especially with the third-party firmwares.

mubs

Storage? I am Storage!
Nah, Sechs, I neither have the patience, nor the time nor the inclination to mess around with 3rd party FW. Mfr. FW is good enough for me.

Incidentally, Staples has the same stuff for the same net prices, but with lower initial prices (and lower rebates).

ClompUSA also now has the Belkin Hi-Speed (125HSM) wireless stuff for just a wee bit more.

BooST

Learning Storage Performance
mubs said:
Nah, Sechs, I neither have the patience, nor the time nor the inclination to mess around with 3rd party FW. Mfr. FW is good enough for me.

Incidentally, Staples has the same stuff for the same net prices, but with lower initial prices (and lower rebates).

ClompUSA also now has the Belkin Hi-Speed (125HSM) wireless stuff for just a wee bit more.

I've never seen the "High Speed" stuff work up to spec. If it costs more, it's not worth it.

Jimshady

What is this storage?
If price is what you're after, then buy that 11g stuff. If you want decent transfer speed and distance, and you don't worry about price, then buy the pre-n stuff. Easy.

Jimshady

What is this storage?
then again, I wouldn't be buying non-compliant gear. I'm holding out for 11n before I upgrade my AP.