Benchmark needed ASAP for CD-Writer.

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
Hi,

I bought an OptoRite burner and I would like to test it before I send it to my customers. I don't have enough time to order the CD Winbench CD-ROM from e-testing Labs. Any suggestions would be appreciated. I want to know what this baby can do.

Sorry for being brief. Thunderstorm is approaching and I want to shut down my systems before it's over me (I'm paranoiac).

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
Ok, I found CD Speed 0.85e and CD DAE 99 0.2B on this site. I'll post the results here tomorow so you'll have the world première review of the OptoRite 32x/12x/40x (Searching Optorite + review yields no result on Google).

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
Handruin said:
Hmm.. does this mean we will need a review section :?:
Well, now that the tests are completed, I'm not even sure it worths a review. To sum it up, I'm going to return the POS tomorrow and grab something else instead. The only purpose of the review would be to warn other potential buyers in the unknown against spending their hard earned money on this drive.

OptoRite still has a lot to learn judging by the quality of their 32X burner.

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
I regret to have stopped running the Genome@home client in order to run the tests on the OptoRite. It wasn't worth the scant unit loss.

Handruin

Administrator
CougTek said:
I regret to have stopped running the Genome@home client in order to run the tests on the OptoRite. It wasn't worth the scant unit loss.

You crack me up. Thanks for the warning on the OptoRite! :p

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
I'll send you the screenshots with the explanations on what went wrong. I'll try to make it looks like a review, although it will lack enthusiasm. Reviewing poor pieces of hardware isn't inspiring.

Tomorrow you should receive an e-mail about it. If it's too big to fit one message, I'll split it in two/three with 1 hour lap between them. What's your size limit for your e-mail account?

Handruin

Administrator
CougTek said:
I'll send you the screenshots with the explanations on what went wrong. I'll try to make it looks like a review, although it will lack enthusiasm. Reviewing poor pieces of hardware isn't inspiring.

Tomorrow you should receive an e-mail about it. If it's too big to fit one message, I'll split it in two/three with 1 hour lap between them. What's your size limit for your e-mail account?

Just send it by FTP to

ftp://storageforum.net

login = reviews
pass = sf

I think the e-mail has a 25 MB limit...

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
You will love me...

I tried to connect to your FTP server without success with the first FTP tool I grab at download.com. I included the error message I got in the e-mail I sent you...with all the rest of the pictures and the pseudo-review. It's not all that bad you know, only approximately 1.4Mb in size. You have broadband internet access don't you? (I hope, or else 1.4MB e-mail on phone line will be painfully long)

Buck

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.hlmcompany.com
Just use a command prompt in DOS.

ftp whatever.whomever.com
login
password
cd (if necessary)
ascii
put text files
binary
put image files
bye
exit

...I'm sure you know that sequence.

Handruin

Administrator
Clocker said:
silly geese.

The address is ftp.storageforum.net NOT ftp://storageforum.net

Port=21 (standard)

Clocker

Sorry about the confusing link. ftp://storageforum.net does work, but it will take you to the read only FTP server. If you use a web browser and enter the link in say, Internet Explorer you can also conect.

You can include ftp://reviews@storageforum.net/ in your address bar and it will prompt you to enter a password. This will take you to the uploaded FTP server.

Coug, I've checked my e-mail and I don't have anything?? What address did you send it to?

BTW my onebox e-mail address has closed because they started to charge.

-Doug

Handruin

Administrator
Tea said:
Easy freeware graphical FTP client especially for the FTP retard uploaded to the front page.

It's been added! :) I also recommend smart FTP, or WS_FTP...I'll go add it to the links.

Handruin

Administrator
Buck said:
GUI Clients are for the retched! DOS is the only way to go!

Sometimes I would agree, but for the most part, GUI FTP is much easier and more effiecient for me. :)

Pradeep

Storage? I am Storage!
Bottoms up. A new carton of Crownies has been opened and must be drunk before it warms up.

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
Hi, sorry for the slow reply. I sent the message to webmaster@handruin.com I think, or maybe webmaster@storageforum.net, I don't remember. I've been able to connect via the command line like Buck told me to do, but I didn't know how to copy the files from my hard drive to the server (copy and move didn't worked). I gave up quickly because I was tired when I started to play with that yesterday. It's possible that my message bounced because it was too big, I forgot to check my e-mail for replies this morning.

Now, I can't make any other trials because I'm not at home for the week-end. Maybe tomorrow evening, but not before.

Thanks everyone for the help. I'll have to become more familiar with FTP one day or another. I messed a lot with DOS, but I never really used FTP to transfer files, even if I should have. I quit the command line when I switched to Winblows severalyears ago. I still remember most DOS commands though, but I've rarely used DOS for network transfers.

Buck

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.hlmcompany.com
Coug,

After you login, just type HELP and you'll get a list of commands. The PUT command is for uploading, the GET command is for downloading. Once crucial thing is that you are locally in the appropriate directory. For this you can type LCD. To change your local directory, you can type LCD [directory name] . For the remote directories, you would use the old DOS CD command.

Example:
ftp> lcd
Local directory now D:\storage_forum.
ftp> lcd images
Local directory now D:\storage_forum\images.
ftp> cd images
250 "usr/www/users/storage/images" is new cwd.
ftp> binary
200 type okay.
ftp> put logo.jpg

If you want to send multiple files you can use MPUT, or to download multiple files, MGET.

Example:
ftp> mput *.jpg

...you wil be prompted for each file with either a Y (yes) or N (no) as to whether or not you want to send that file.

Make sure that you are the proper mode for the appropriate files. The command ASCII sets you in text file mode. BINARY sets you in image file mode.

Example:
ftp> ascii
ftp> put storage.htm
ftp> binary
ftp> put logo.jpg

Once you've set the mode, you can send all of the same types of files, as often as you'd like.

i

Wannabe Storage Freak
The one major drawback to the text-based FTP program included with Windows is that it doesn't support passive transfers. Which means if you use a half-decent firewall, you're out of luck.

Unless I missed something.

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
I changed the OptoRite for a Lite-On LTR-32123S and so far it performs better, while being significantly quieter. The OptoRite wasn't a boeing, but it was just a tad less noisy than, let's say, a 50x Asus CD-ROM (which I consider very noisy). The Lite-On LTR-32123S is a bit noisier than my LG GCE-8160B (16/10/40x burner), but not much and it's far from being disturbing.

The Lite-On has been able to run CDSpeed perfectly on my 76minutes audio CD, without any real speed drop in the zone beyond 74minutes. I hope it will also be fine in the burning tests. More later on.

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
No, but I only tried with one brand of CD-R (Fujifilm 32x) and two brands of CD-RW (Verbatim DataLifePlus 10x and the one provided with the drive). All were writen at full speed. The Lite-On was even able to successfully write the 10x certified Verbatim at 12x. No errors at all.

I also noticed that, unlike the drive tested by CDRLabs.com, mine had no delay to recognize audio CDs and it had no speed drop when reading the beginning of the audio CDs. The drive I had didn't have the same firmware revision though. I think Lite-On has been able to fix the slowdown on audio CDs, present in the earlier firmware revisions, with the current XS0K (CDRLabs.com used the XS05 firmware instead).

Other noticeable changes between the XS0K and older XS05 are lower CPU utilization % and even quicker full erase times (at least when comparing my tests and those of CDRLabs). My drive was able to erase a CD-RW containing 643MB of data in just 6:52. However, it took 6:55 to erase another having 605MB of data spread on 8 sessions(the first 643MB was on a single session). The recognition times were also quite low, averaging 5.5 seconds.

Overall, the Lite-On left me with a very positive impression, especially after the OptoRite horror story.