Best 8TB Drive

snowhiker

Wannabe Storage Freak
Yes, both models. Most likely the usual $200 sale will be on and off.
Did you pull the drive for internal use after testing it?
No. I needed another external unit anyways. If they drop to $140'ish again I'll buy another and use the bare drive in my desktop. Here's the info on the drive as reported by CrystalDiskInfo 7.5.0.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
CrystalDiskInfo 7.5.0 (C) 2008-2017 hiyohiyo
Crystal Dew World : https://crystalmark.info/

(4) WDC WD80EFAX-68LHPN0
Enclosure : WD easystore 25FB USB Device (V=1058, P=25FB, sa1) - wd
Model : WDC WD80EFAX-68LHPN0
Firmware : 83.H0A83
Serial Number : xxxxxxxx
Disk Size : 8001.5 GB (8.4/137.4/8001.5/8001.5)
Buffer Size : Unknown
Queue Depth : 32
# of Sectors : 15628053168
Rotation Rate : 5400 RPM
Interface : USB (Serial ATA)
Major Version : ACS-2
Minor Version : ATA8-ACS version 4
Transfer Mode : SATA/600 | SATA/600
Power On Hours : 7 hours
Power On Count : 17 count
Temperature : 23 C (73 F)
Health Status : Good
Features : S.M.A.R.T., APM, 48bit LBA, NCQ
APM Level : 00A4h [ON]
AAM Level : ----
Drive Letter : M:

sedrosken

Allergic to Sunlight
I might spring for a 7200rpm 8TB drive with a fair helping of cache on the eventual scale, for now my 4TB seems to be holding out reasonably well. I'm willing to pay a little more for a drive that doesn't cause my games to stutter trying to stream in textures. :p All my stuff's installed and my digital hoarding is slowing a bit, I shouldn't need more storage until ~June or so.

LunarMist

I can't believe I'm a
I might spring for a 7200rpm 8TB drive with a fair helping of cache on the eventual scale, for now my 4TB seems to be holding out reasonably well. I'm willing to pay a little more for a drive that doesn't cause my games to stutter trying to stream in textures. :p All my stuff's installed and my digital hoarding is slowing a bit, I shouldn't need more storage until ~June or so.
At some point maybe deleting some of the crap would be a good idea. :D

sedrosken

Allergic to Sunlight
At some point maybe deleting some of the crap would be a good idea. :D
Well, when your internet is as slow as mine is, holding onto stuff tends to be a good thing. I hold onto stuff that I know I'll need again, don't know if I will or won't (but hold onto anyway because it's a large download), and sometimes even when I know I won't need it again just because it's hard to find and maybe it could help someone. Downloads take a painfully long time for me, my Steam queue for instance has been constantly downloading stuff for months on end -- yes, literal, consecutive months, and it's still not done though I am in the home stretch, so to speak -- and I don't want to have to wait for all that junk to download again should something go belly-up.

LunarMist

I can't believe I'm a
Well, when your internet is as slow as mine is, holding onto stuff tends to be a good thing. I hold onto stuff that I know I'll need again, don't know if I will or won't (but hold onto anyway because it's a large download), and sometimes even when I know I won't need it again just because it's hard to find and maybe it could help someone. Downloads take a painfully long time for me, my Steam queue for instance has been constantly downloading stuff for months on end -- yes, literal, consecutive months, and it's still not done though I am in the home stretch, so to speak -- and I don't want to have to wait for all that junk to download again should something go belly-up.
Whatever speed you have is most likely greater than mine.

Handruin

Administrator
What was common knowledge? Schools having decent Internet or you stopping school? The former maybe, the latter, not really.

snowhiker

Wannabe Storage Freak
I figured this was common knowledge, but the spring semester of 2017 ended awfully for me and I ended up having to take some time off to financially regroup.
If you mentioned it here I obviously forgot, I apologize. I'm pushing half a century years old now and tend to forget things.

sedrosken

Allergic to Sunlight
What was common knowledge? Schools having decent Internet or you stopping school? The former maybe, the latter, not really.
If you mentioned it here I obviously forgot, I apologize. I'm pushing half a century years old now and tend to forget things.
I could have sworn I said something about it. Maybe I didn't. In any case, yes, I did end up taking a break from school. Emphasis is because I very much intend to go back, I just can't afford to at the moment.

LunarMist

I can't believe I'm a
I could have sworn I said something about it. Maybe I didn't. In any case, yes, I did end up taking a break from school. Emphasis is because I very much intend to go back, I just can't afford to at the moment.
You mentioned it in the Something Random thread IIRC, but it is almost a year later. You are going back in the fall?

snowhiker

Wannabe Storage Freak
Get your certs. Get entry level IT job. Work your way up. Then in a few years if you want to get into management get your CS B.S. degree.

sedrosken

Allergic to Sunlight
You mentioned it in the Something Random thread IIRC, but it is almost a year later. You are going back in the fall?
Probably. It won't be in the same capacity as before, I doubt I'll get another grace period on my loans so I'll have to work and study, but I'll figure something out.