Best CPU Benchmarks?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chewy509

Wotty wot wot.
I got burned purchasing a GDI+ based laser printer at one time, (no NT-based drivers, only win9x drivers), so from that day, I've always ensured what ever printer I get has native PS or really good PCL support. That way, I can just select a HP LJ4 (PCL4), HP LJ5 (PCL5) or Generic Postscript and I will have something that works.

(Microsoft even ship "Generic Postscript" drivers with Windows 7, so that even 15yr+ old printers that have PS support will work).

PS. I'm currently using a HP LJ1200 series as my main B&W Laser. (I also have an Epson colour inkjet MFP - Scan/Print/Copy/Fax, and even that has full CUPS and SANE support in UNIX OSes).

Newtun

Storage is nice, especially if it doesn't rotate
Sorry I don't want to try to look this up, Santilli, but do you have another PC on your network that can print to the Xerox?

Years ago, I had to set up my wife's new home Mac to print, and after some google-ing, I found that I could install "ghostscript" on one of my Windows PCs, and set up a network Postscript print queue that would take PS input and feed it into ghostscript to print. Then the Mac (or my other PCs) could print to that as a generic Postscript network printer. Here's one link, dated 2004, though they have the disclaimer "This procedure has been tested under Windows 98, 2000 & XP and should work on all modern Windows versions."

Or here's a whacky idea that just occurred to me, and I have no idea whether it's even feasible - set up a WinXP VM running in your Win7 PC, do the above GS/PS setup on it, and then have Win7 send the print job to the PS queue on the WinXP VM it hosts.

As for the original thread topic, benchmarks: like standards, they can be very useful, because there are so many of them. If you can find one that reflects something close to your particular workload, and has metrics for the CPUs you are interested in, then you may have a good basis for comparison. else . . . NOT.

Last edited:

Santilli

Hairy Aussie
Sorry I don't want to try to look this up, Santilli, but do you have another PC on your network that can print to the Xerox?

Years ago, I had to set up my wife's new home Mac to print, and after some google-ing, I found that I could install "ghostscript" on one of my Windows PCs, and set up a network Postscript print queue that would take PS input and feed it into ghostscript to print. Then the Mac (or my other PCs) could print to that as a generic Postscript network printer. Here's one link, dated 2004, though they have the disclaimer "This procedure has been tested under Windows 98, 2000 & XP and should work on all modern Windows versions".

Or here's a whacky idea that just occurred to me, and I have no idea whether it's even feasible - set up a WinXP VM running in your Win7 PC, do the above PS setup on it, and then have Win7 send the print job to the PS queue on the WinXP VM it hosts.

As for the original thread topic, benchmarks: like standards, they can be very useful, because there are so many of them. If you can find one that reflects something close to your particular workload, and has metrics for the CPUs you are interested in, then you may have a good basis for comparison. else . . . NOT.

I'll look into your idea and ghostscript. I'm not optimistic, since the problem is with 7. The printer works in XP, and I have a disk with XP on it that boots and works well. I was trying to move GF into the 21st century.

The Athlon X2 3800 might not be enough to run a VM machine for Ram(2 gigs) and perhaps processor reasons. Don't know.

I have problems with running VM's on my main machine, as far as ports and moving data between machines. I don't think GF would be able to handle running a VM to print from. That would defeat the purpose of the Windows 7
OS in the first place.

Your idea will work using the XP pro disk. It prints to that printer. That is the machine that GF uses. So in short the kludge is the XP Pro boot disk. I don't have any need to print to that printer network wise, since I already have a working
network printer installed. It's a HP 4000N and depending on which day you try and access MSFT updates it will or will not have drivers.

time

Storage? I am Storage!
Or here's a whacky idea that just occurred to me, and I have no idea whether it's even feasible - set up a WinXP VM running in your Win7 PC, do the above GS/PS setup on it, and then have Win7 send the print job to the PS queue on the WinXP VM it hosts.

Sounds completely feasible to me and a great idea, but I'm not up on the practical limitations of VMWare Player or VirtualBox.

Chewy509

Wotty wot wot.
I'll look into your idea and ghostscript.
Here are some nice instructions to do it: http://www.stat.tamu.edu/~henrik/GSPSprinter/GSPSprinter.html
However you still need an XP box to host the printer...

The Athlon X2 3800 might not be enough to run a VM machine for Ram(2 gigs) and perhaps processor reasons. Don't know.
I'm able to successfully run 2x VMs (using Virtual Box) on an Intel Atom N570 w/2GBs of RAM, so I'm sure a Athlon X2 will be able to handle a single VM. (Host OS is Arch Linux, and Guests are a mix of Win2K8 and/or WinXP. Mind you the Win2K8 does take a while to boot, but that's more due it being a DC with SQL 2008 installed as well ;) ).

LunarMist

I can't believe I'm a Fixture
I have no idea why this is so complicated. Is it a very large house and a long distance between printers?

Santilli

Hairy Aussie
Sorry Sechs. No drugs here. I realize considering your location why you would think of that first.

I want to thank all of you that took the time to explain why there is no kludge for using this printer in 7. GDI great.

Santilli

Hairy Aussie
You first. Seems to be on your mind. You can do that while sitting on your ad homs.

CougTek

Serial computer killer
Soon we'll have a contest : "My drug is stronger than yours..." And to that I'll answer : "In Winter, I'm the most frosted of you all!"

Santilli

Hairy Aussie
Sechs lives pretty much in drug central, San Francisco.
The laws and juries are so liberal drug dealers from other cities bart and drive in to sell drugs, knowing they won't be convicted, and the markets' strong.

Plus homosexuals tend to have problems with drugs, alcohol, domestic violence, etc. Feel free to check SF statistics.

LunarMist

I can't believe I'm a Fixture
Why the hell are you two encouraging each other to use drugs?

Not likely. It is more a polite way of stating that the person has a temporary mental defect caused by the substance, rather than a more permanent mental defect.

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
Santilli, I fail to see any signs of logic in your last post. I do see a misused apostrophe, but that's par for the course at this point.

Santilli

Hairy Aussie
Sam, I'm disappointed in your lack of imagination. Given those premise you should be able to draw a reasonable conclusion from them.

Walnut Creek is light years from San Francisco.

CougTek

Serial computer killer
Walnut Creek is actually, according to Google Maps, 0.00000000000421879183830789 light year from San Francisco. Since it's not more than a light year from San Francisco, you made another mistake by putting an "s" to "year". Add it to your stats.

Handruin

Administrator
Metaphor. Figure it out.

He's too literal to do that. He did have some fun with math though. He became the entertainment to your metaphoric description that was not even based in distance, but in eveolutionary terms.

Santilli

Hairy Aussie
He's too literal to do that. He did have some fun with math though. He became the entertainment to your metaphoric description that was not even based in distance, but in eveolutionary terms.

ROFL! At least subtle isn't lost on everyone;-). I guess I should do grammar police on your post. It's too funny the way it is. Am I missing something about how you spelled "eveolutionary " or is it supposed to be "evolutionary"?

Handruin

Administrator
ROFL! At least subtle isn't lost on everyone;-). I guess I should do grammar police on your post. It's too funny the way it is. Am I missing something about how you spelled "eveolutionary " or is it supposed to be "evolutionary"?

You're absolutely welcome to be a critic of my grammar. In this case it was a fat-fingering of the keyboard that caused a spelling mistake. This is not a grammatical one. The difference between you and I is that I admit I misspelled that word and did not write it off as some kind of new-age slang. ;-)

Santilli

Hairy Aussie
Ahh, no. The difference is I really was feeling old and dated and
'then'.

Go metaphoric on if an 940 is dated then...

time

Storage? I am Storage!
Sentence construction :boom: Santilli

Thread usefulness..... :boom: Santilli

Forum S/N ratio....... :boom: Santilli

English language...... :boom: Santillli

World literacy.......... :boom: Santilli

Human civilization.... :boom: Santilli

Life on Earth........... :boom: Santilli

BingBangBop

Storage is cool
Come on guys, play nice. There's no need to denigrate or otherwise put down a person here.

sechs

Storage? I am Storage!
Sechs lives pretty much in drug central, San Francisco.
That would be interesting, if it were true.

Plus homosexuals tend to have problems with drugs, alcohol, domestic violence, etc.
Wouldn't be easier just say that you're a homophobe, rather than casting aspersions?

Santilli

Hairy Aussie
I'm not and I'm not casting aspersions. Thank you for the apology. Nice that you admitted you were taking prescription drugs. I'm not.

Santilli

Hairy Aussie
Sentence construction :boom: Santilli

Thread usefulness..... :boom: Santilli

Forum S/N ratio....... :boom: Santilli

English language...... :boom: Santillli

World literacy.......... :boom: Santilli

Human civilization.... :boom: Santilli

Life on Earth........... :boom: Santilli

Time: grade for creativity for ad hom: F+

Handruin

Administrator
I'm not and I'm not casting aspersions. Thank you for the apology. Nice that you admitted you were taking prescription drugs. I'm not.

I love how you are both communicating in extreme sarcasm...in sech's case, he talks this way 99% of the time so it should be expected by now. It's very unproductive and passive aggressive and unhelpful in most cases.

Handruin

Administrator
Ahh, no. The difference is I really was feeling old and dated and
'then'.

Go metaphoric on if an 940 is dated then...

Well...it's all relative. In respect to the timelines of how frequent a CPU is released (in this case Intel) and how another new release is slated very soon, it's feasible to say a 940 is dated. I would also call my i7-860 dated. They are both perfectly good CPUs regardless of being dated.

Santilli

Hairy Aussie
I love how you are both communicating in extreme sarcasm...in sech's case, he talks this way 99% of the time so it should be expected by now. It's very unproductive and passive aggressive and unhelpful in most cases.

I'm not being sarcastic. Considering Sechs' past posting style an honest statement that he has a shoulder problem and he's taking drugs for is a great step forward and a breath of fresh air. I also have had a right shoulder problem. Turned out to be a rib out of place that my chiropractor put back in place. I hope he has at least consulted a chiropractor. Your spine has a lot to do with what otherwise seem unrelated injuries. This is all conjecture since we have no causation facts.

"Well...it's all relative. In respect to the timelines of how frequent a CPU is released (in this case Intel) and how another new release is slated very soon, it's feasible to say a 940 is dated. I would also call my i7-860 dated. They are both perfectly good CPUs regardless of being dated. "

When I posted concerning the dated issue the following influenced my use of the word "then" rather then "than". My lower back was locked up causing back and hip pain. This caused right shoulder pain as well.
My left leg knee surgery has not been overly successful and the knee has been swelling. This has made it difficult and painful to run. Since currently my income requires being able to run and walk for long hours this made me feel very
'then' hence the word use.

I agree that all of this banter is counter-productive. You once mentioned that I had a "kick me" sign on my back in this forum. It seems that kicking hasn't been enough for some of our members.

I've had a number of members that now post very little if at all, mention this sort of gang ad hom stuff is the major reason they no longer post here.
Another reason is the lack of tolerance for ideas that don't fit facist-liberal political agendas.
I'll be happy to take this issue to email with you since the members we lost had posted long and often and I sincerely miss their presence.

Handruin

Administrator
I agree that all of this banter is counter-productive. You once mentioned that I had a "kick me" sign on my back in this forum. It seems that kicking hasn't been enough for some of our members.

I've had a number of members that now post very little if at all, mention this sort of gang ad hom stuff is the major reason they no longer post here.
Another reason is the lack of tolerance for ideas that don't fit facist-liberal political agendas.
I'll be happy to take this issue to email with you since the members we lost had posted long and often and I sincerely miss their presence.

You're all over the place with this post, but I want to hear more about this. I don't recall mentioning that you had a kick me sign on your back, but if I did, it's probably in a post somewhere to prove it. It's true that people do get annoyed easily and vocalize this. You may or may not remember one of our oldest forum members P5-133XL. I remember him clearly being insulted by you and I would suspect that being a strong reason you no longer see his posts in a very long time. There may be other reasons but he hasn't said them in public. It's a very bold statement by you to suggest the entire forum is based on fascist-liberal political agendas. I am not seeing a lack of tolerance for ideas, I'm seeing a lack of tolerance for the derailment of threads on a regular basis.

I know people have left this forum due to conflicts and taking things personal. There are/were a lot of strong and opinionated personalities here that people couldn't get along with. Some people are less careful with speaking their mind and don't care when they offend other people or even realize the things they say will offend others. If there is more you want to say that's not for the forum to read, send me a PM.

Santilli

Hairy Aussie
That would be interesting, if it were true.

Wouldn't be easier just say that you're a homophobe, rather than casting aspersions?

I guess it's always easier to revert to ad homs and name calling THAN actually deal with the reality of community mores.

So it's really easier for YOU to say I'm a homophobe then deal with the issues.

I have had a number of serious discussions with San Francisco judges, in chambers, about these problems. They are a large part
of their case loads and a major concern for them since they are part of that community. I guess I should have called them "homophobes"
and dismissed the issues they wanted to discuss.

Status
Not open for further replies.