Best movie you've seen

ddrueding

Fixture
I just watched The Martian for the first time (BluRay). It isn't a bad film, just absolutely sucks compared to the book. Can't blame anyone involved with the film, the audio book was at maximum density and 10+hrs long. It is no wonder that the characters seemed under-developed and the drama appeared shallow.

sedrosken

Florida Man
Website
sedrosken.xyz
I watched The Force Awakens with my (now ex, long drawn out story that frankly I don't feel up to relating) girlfriend back in the beginning of January. I liked it, but it was clear that it was mostly a set up for the events of the next movie.

LunarMist

I can't believe I'm a Fixture
I just watched The Martian for the first time (BluRay). It isn't a bad film, just absolutely sucks compared to the book. Can't blame anyone involved with the film, the audio book was at maximum density and 10+hrs long. It is no wonder that the characters seemed under-developed and the drama appeared shallow.

I saw it at 11km last year. There was definitely some level of nonsense involved. The film was boring enough. I can't image 10+ hours of that. It's only one guy.
Matt Daemon is not the quality of actor that Tom Hanks was in the cast off film if one can draw any parallel.

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
The book is well written and very amusing. And, having spent time around a lot of engineers and physicists, it's also quite tonally accurate in a way that's not common in filmed entertainment.

sechs

Storage? I am Storage!
It seems that having read the book ruined the film for most. Those who didn't read the book thought it was a great movie.

You can't take a book that thick and shrink it into a few hours without losing something.

LunarMist

It seems that having read the book ruined the film for most. Those who didn't read the book thought it was a great movie.

I give it about 6.5 out of 10, not a great film by any means. YMMV.

Mercutio

Over the weekend I binged on a TV series called "The Expanse." Thomas Jane is the only actor I recognize in the cast, but it's a hard science fiction conspiracy thriller with high production values and good acting. Only eight episodes have aired as I write this but it's well worth checking out.

Handruin

Administrator
I've also read other positive post about the series and was considering giving it a try. Glad to hear another positive about the series.

Mercutio

I also like Dark Matter, though the premise seems to be more "How close can we get to re-making Firefly without getting sued?" than anything else. It's definitely B-grade material but I liked it.

Stereodude

Not really a
Over the weekend I binged on a TV series called "The Expanse." Thomas Jane is the only actor I recognize in the cast, but it's a hard science fiction conspiracy thriller with high production values and good acting. Only eight episodes have aired as I write this but it's well worth checking out.
I've been watching this one also. I saw the first 4 episodes before I went to Asia. I've watched 3 more episodes via on demand since getting back. I'm enjoying it quite a bit.

Mercutio

Deadpool is EXTREMELY funny. Funnier than Guardians of the Galaxy, if that's anything to go on. It's also a hard R-rated movie. There's tits aplenty. Bodies get mutilated. Ryan Reynolds shows ass at the drop of a hat. Stan Lee has what might be his most memorable cameo. The character directly addresses the audience regarding the Valentine's weekend release of a Ryan Reynolds movie and feminine expectations thereof very early in the opening sequence. The closing credits are animated and still deeply not safe for work. Deadpool is accurately shown to be a depraved omnisexual who, while missing the Bea Arthur fetish found in his comics, clearly has a thing for magical horses.

The Deadpool presented on screen is the Joe Kelly-era version, if anyone is a big enough nerd to know what that means.
Rest assured that the trailers don't give up all the funniest moments, which is something that concerned me on my way in. Also, don't take your kids.

Will Rickards

Storage Is My Life
Website
willrickards.net
Yes it was a good movie. I saw it this afternoon. Recommended but not for kids.
I'm looking forward to the superman movie. Latest trailer was good.
But let's talk about this hardcore hank movie or whatever it is called. This looks completely dumb. A first person shooter as a movie?

LunarMist

Deadpool is EXTREMELY funny. Funnier than Guardians of the Galaxy, if that's anything to go on. It's also a hard R-rated movie. There's tits aplenty. Bodies get mutilated.

I don't recall anything about Guardians of the Galaxy that indicated comedy. Maybe it had some amusing moments, but was a rather odd and disjointed film in the action/adventure/sci-fi/fantasy genres.

It is nice to see some R rated films making good money, if nothing else.

Howell

Storage? I am Storage!
Deadpool was very funny and we were clearly in a full theater of aficionados. I had to do some research to get straight the Xmen origins Ryan Reynolds Deadpool from this one. Sadly I didn't know to pay attention to the opening credits and I missed a couple of jokes.

LunarMist

Deadpool was very funny and we were clearly in a full theater of aficionados. I had to do some research to get straight the Xmen origins Ryan Reynolds Deadpool from this one. Sadly I didn't know to pay attention to the opening credits and I missed a couple of jokes.

Would you expect normal subjects to find the film amusing or entertaining? Someone wants me to see it next weekend, but she is a little strange. I'm not very familiar with the Spiderman if that makes any difference.

Mercutio

I don't recall anything about Guardians of the Galaxy that indicated comedy. Maybe it had some amusing moments, but was a rather odd and disjointed film in the action/adventure/sci-fi/fantasy genres.

Two of the main characters were a talking raccoon and an ambulatory tree. The final battle included a dance sequence and the soundtrack was basically 1981's greatest hits. What part of that ISN'T suggestive of comedy?

With regard to familiarity with Deadpool: The movie is fully aware that only fans will know the character and that at least half the people in any theater will have been dragged there by a more enthusiastic partner. The movie made nearly $150M in its opening weekend so clearly it's something that a lot of people enjoyed. It is however a very raunchy film.

With regard to Batman v. Superman, I can't get excited at all. I'm not a fan of either character, but the Zack Synder Superman movie was just joyless and flat. That worked well for Watchmen, but that's not what DC Heroes have been over the last 75 years. There's some "Inside Baseball" commentary about the direction and nature of DC's and Time-Warner's executive decision making, but suffice to say I have really low expectations for those movies.

But who knows? Maybe Ben Affleck will be Zack Synder's muse.

LunarMist

Two of the main characters were a talking raccoon and an ambulatory tree. The final battle included a dance sequence and the soundtrack was basically 1981's greatest hits. What part of that ISN'T suggestive of comedy?

With regard to familiarity with Deadpool: The movie is fully aware that only fans will know the character and that at least half the people in any theater will have been dragged there by a more enthusiastic partner. The movie made nearly $150M in its opening weekend so clearly it's something that a lot of people enjoyed. It is however a very raunchy film.

I thought the movie just came out last week, so how many people would be fans ahead of that?

Mercutio

I thought the movie just came out last week, so how many people would be fans ahead of that?

Deadpool is probably one of the most popular comic characters created in the last 25 years. The script for the movie has existed for 10 years. Fan outcry after test footage was leaked on the internet is what got the movie made in the first place. There is definitely a pre-existing fan base.

Howell

Storage? I am Storage!
Would you expect normal subjects to find the film amusing or entertaining? Someone wants me to see it next weekend, but she is a little strange. I'm not very familiar with the Spiderman if that makes any difference.

It depends on your sense of humor. If you like repartee, sarcasm, and dark humor you will enjoy it. I got that from Spiderman, minus the dark humor. The only familiarity my wife and I had was the two trailers. I think they are representative.

LunarMist

It depends on your sense of humor. If you like repartee, sarcasm, and dark humor you will enjoy it. I got that from Spiderman, minus the dark humor. The only familiarity my wife and I had was the two trailers. I think they are representative.

Dark humor works for me.

Deadpool is probably one of the most popular comic characters created in the last 25 years. The script for the movie has existed for 10 years. Fan outcry after test footage was leaked on the internet is what got the movie made in the first place. There is definitely a pre-existing fan base.

I always thought that comics were for pimply-faced teenaged boys before they discovered girls. I suppose that is not the case nowadays.

I was hoping for a standalone film that does not require a cult commitment. ;)

Mercutio

I always thought that comics were for pimply-faced teenaged boys before they discovered girls. I suppose that is not the case nowadays.

Proper comic book fans tend to be middle aged adults with decent levels of disposable income. A single comic book with 22 pages of content usually costs $4, so reading lots of them gets expensive really quickly, especially since a fan will probably be buying 10+ titles in a given month. Even obtaining comic books is kind of a hassle, since they're really only sold in specialty stores.

The other major set of comics fans are under-30s who grew up on Batman: The Animated Series and X-men cartoons. These same people were also hit with Lord of the Rings, Harry Potter and the Star Wars prequels in about the same time frame and then on to the Nolan Batman and Marvel Studios movies, so it's entirely possible that someone who was seven years old in 1996 has been bathing in geek culture for the last 20 years.

LunarMist

It was nice to see Spotlight win. At least there is some intelligence left in the world.

LunarMist

Proper comic book fans tend to be middle aged adults with decent levels of disposable income. A single comic book with 22 pages of content usually costs $4, so reading lots of them gets expensive really quickly, especially since a fan will probably be buying 10+ titles in a given month. Even obtaining comic books is kind of a hassle, since they're really only sold in specialty stores.

The other major set of comics fans are under-30s who grew up on Batman: The Animated Series and X-men cartoons. These same people were also hit with Lord of the Rings, Harry Potter and the Star Wars prequels in about the same time frame and then on to the Nolan Batman and Marvel Studios movies, so it's entirely possible that someone who was seven years old in 1996 has been bathing in geek culture for the last 20 years.

I guess my generation missed a lot of that.

Mercutio

It was nice to see Spotlight win. At least there is some intelligence left in the world.

I guess my cousin got to be an usher at the Oscars this year. He's done it before but it still amuses me.
As far as the awards themselves, I thought The Martian was a far better movie than The Revenant and I wish Mad Max: Fury Road had won at least one of the major awards instead of just sweeping the below-the-fold production categories.

Stereodude

Not really a
I haven't seen it, but it seems that most of the critical acclaim in Hollywood award shows is for movies that are box office failures and aren't generally liked by the public at large.

timwhit

Hairy Aussie
I haven't seen it, but it seems that most of the critical acclaim in Hollywood award shows is for movies that are box office failures and aren't generally liked by the public at large.

Such as Birdman, which won best picture last year. I barely made it through that movie.

Mercutio

I fell asleep during Birdman and never saw a reason to give it another shot. But I liked Philomena and American Hustle and the Grand Budapest Hotel, among recent award nominees.

LunarMist

That's exactly how it should be. The majority of films are crap because they have to appeal to the masses with average intelligence and education. In recent years they have to appeal to the internment market to be blockbusters, so the lowest common censorship denominator also applies.

Stereodude

Not really a
That's exactly how it should be. The majority of films are crap because they have to appeal to the masses with average intelligence and education. In recent years they have to appeal to the internment market to be blockbusters, so the lowest common censorship denominator also applies.
I'm pretty sure you're confused. The majority of films are crap, but so are many of the critically acclaimed films. They're not "good" & worthy of awards because they're fantastic masterpieces of art that and happen to be box office turds because they're just too sophisticated for the common folk plebes in middle America. They're "good" and are give awards because they have a preachy message about some cause they all care about at the time, or it was that persons time to get acknowledged, or for some reason they're all just taken with someone's acting in an otherwise bad film.

LunarMist

Of course many films are just plain bad in about every way, like something starring Melissa McCarthy. :lol: