Best movie you've seen

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
That setting is Vin Diesel's baby. He's put up his own money to make games, cartoons and comics set in that universe. It's not just some rip-off cash grab.

Mercutio

World War Z is perfectly adequate as long as you completely forget the book that it's based on and also that the Z is supposed to stand for "zombies."

And I actually mean that. It's not a bad movie. It has a horrible rep among nerds because it's explicitly NOT anything like that book. Max Brooks released one book ("The Zombie Survival Guide") that laid out his rules for zombies and another which emulated the oral historical style made famous by Studs Terkel. The movie does ignore all that. And it's PG13 rather, so there's no people being shredded mercilessly. The camera cuts just before the people shredding. That does work. There are tense moments, maybe more than there would be in an R-rated film.
I'd say it's worth $4 at the second-run theater.

Clocker

Storage? I am Storage!
I watched Book of Eli last night. Definitely worth the 35m it took to download the 12GB file from Tweaknews.

LunarMist

I can't believe I'm a Fixture
I thought Lt. Hikaru Sulu was supposed to be Japanese, not Korean? :facebalm:

Mercutio

Memory Alpha, the obsessively detailed Star Trek wiki, states that:
1. "Sulu" cannot possibly be a Japanese surname because there is no "l" phoneme in Japanese.
2. It could be an Anglicized version of "tsuoru", Japanese for "Red Crane."
3. Or possibly a result of mixed Asian ancestry. The wiki suggests Filipino.
4. At any rate, Hikaru Sulu isn't Japanese. He was born in San Francisco. Which means he could be anything, really.
5. Also, Sulu's first name was not established at all until a Star Trek novel published in 1981 and the matter was still up for debate for another decade because it wasn't used on-screen until Star Trek VI.

LiamC

Storage Is My Life
The kids wanted to see Dispicable Me 2. If anything, a little better than the first. Also caught The Impossible on DVD. One of those "based on a true story" movies about the tsunami in SE Asia. Pretty good.

Mercutio

Pacific Rim is basically the result of someone taking every trope from Tranzor Z, Gigantor, Battle of the Planets, Robotech and Power Rangers and making it live action. That's not a bad thing.
There's stuff going on that makes 3D more worthwhile than it usually is, particularly in the middle sequence of the movie.
There's one moment that's so completely, over the top stupid that when I saw it there were a whole chorus of people saying "WHAT?!?" but other than that, it's basically perfect for everyone's inner 12-year-old boy.

LiamC

Storage Is My Life
Caught Oblivion on DVD. Much better that I was expecting, but I wasn't expecting much. I also have seen part of Hansel and Gretel: Witch Hunters. It piqued my interest enough to want to see it in full. In the same vein, Argo was better than I expected.

Didn't get Ted at all. Watched about 30 minutes and turned it off. It might be a cultural thing.

Oh and watched John Carter again. The movie is better than the panning it got, but they *really* bastardised the ERB storyline.

Mercutio

It's kind-of movie related: Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. premiered the other night. I loved all the call-backs to the movies and Clark Gregg and Colbie Smulders both being series regulars is obviously huge. PLUS it has a wet dream production team with Joss and Jeb Whedon and Bear McCreary doing the scoring.

That said, I was not as completely blown away as I might've hoped. Excited? Yes. But more for the potential than what was actually on the screen.

Will Rickards

Storage Is My Life
Website
willrickards.net
I thought the episode pacing at times was too quick especially with the wrap up and ramp up. And I had no idea what the tech guy was saying half the time. I couldn't hear it. I guess he was talking to himself or something.
Regarding Tahiti: "He can never know"

Mercutio

Whedon loves winsome science nerds and by my count Agents of SHIELD has three of them. Which leads me to believe one of them is destined for a short life. Probably Fitz or Sky since there's at least some functional overlap between the two. After a second viewing, I think my biggest problem is with the "Action Guy" who was basically such a non-person that I don't even remember his name even though the rest of the characters are memorable and enjoyable.

Coulson speculation:
Basically there are hints that Coulson is a contemporary of Steve Rogers, not just so random 50-ish secret agent who apparently came back from the dead.

He's either a Life Model Decoy, something that exists in the comics but not yet present in the cinematic universe. The real Coulson might be in his 80s while his robot doubles are jetting around the world having adventures.
Or he's was a recipient of an early attempt to recreate the Erskine formula that gave Cap his powers. In the comics, Nick Fury takes a version of it to maintain his relative youth and vigor.

Also, Agent Mae, or at least the actress who plays her, is ALSO in her 50s and clearly doesn't look it. Damn.

Clocker

Storage? I am Storage!
I watched Pain & Gain the other night. I enjoyed it, for what it is.

It obviously departs from the real life story that it's 'based on' but seemed really different to me than the other Michael Bay stuff I have seen.

Clocker

Storage? I am Storage!
World War Z is perfectly adequate as long as you completely forget the book that it's based on and also that the Z is supposed to stand for "zombies."

I did like it! :aok: Was tired of the zombie hordes by the end though.

Mercutio

Second Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. really didn't hit any of the right notes for me but it did have Samuel L. Jackson in it. Still gonna watch, but it just didn't feel like anything special.

LunarMist

Second Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. really didn't hit any of the right notes for me but it did have Samuel L. Jackson in it. Still gonna watch, but it just didn't feel like anything special.

Yikes, that show is a MESS. :puke-r:

LunarMist

Does anyone like the Gravitons film? It has a crazy high rating.

LunarMist

I meant the tomato-meter. IMBD ratings are for shit much of the time.

Mercutio

Oddly prescient that Lunar mentioned Graviton, since that's who Dr. Franklin Hall is within the Marvel Universe. Graviton was also the first villain the team faced in "Avengers: Earth's Mightiest Heroes", the middle of THREE Avengers cartoons that have been on the Disney channel in the last five years.

This episode of Agents of SHIELD seemed more coherent and enjoyable, perhaps for introducing an obvious villain and some super-science, but I'm still concerned that I don't see any signs of Whedon-like characterization. I wonder how much stuff is getting tossed by studio executives or ground to nothing by the writing staff, or if he's just not particularly involved in the day-to-day on the show.

paugie

Storage is cool
I watched "The Hunt for Red October" again this morning for probably the third time. Liked it again.
Seems I can't get tired of Sean Connery. "Finding Forrester" was also good.

Handruin

Administrator
I watched "The Hunt for Red October" again this morning for probably the third time. Liked it again.
Seems I can't get tired of Sean Connery. "Finding Forrester" was also good.

One of my favorites also. I enjoy a few good quotes from that movie. "Ramius: Give me a ping, Vasily. One ping only please!".

I worked with an Indian fellow who despite having a thick accent from his homeland did a marvelous impression of Sean Connery saying that line.

ddrueding

Fixture
My wife isn't a fan. Apparently their Russian sucks (Connery and Baldwin). Though some of the others on the Russian sub were actually Russian.

Handruin

Administrator
My wife isn't a fan. Apparently their Russian sucks (Connery and Baldwin). Though some of the others on the Russian sub were actually Russian.

I'm not surprised it's awful. In the classic reverse example: "All your base are belong to us." :)

P5-133XL

Xmas '97
I liked Gravity (non-3d, non-IMax) quite a bit but one does need to suspend a bit of disbelief. The critics are definitely correct that there are issues with reality that if you are looking will stand out. It is probably better to read the critics after you watch the movie so you won't be looking.

Mercutio

New trailer for Captain America: The Winter Soldier is up. I'm excited.

[video=youtube;NLWsK1ZFunA]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NLWsK1ZFunA[/video]

Clocker

Storage? I am Storage!
I hope it's better than the first one. Looking forward to giving it a chance.