Best movie you've seen

Handruin

Administrator
That thought had crossed my mind. I assumed it was CGI, I don't know how else they would have filmed some of those scenes. Closeup shots of Cameron diaz weren't CGI, and those had the same style and effects...

Handruin

Administrator
The movie was good, but I'm not quite sure how to put my finger on it. The movie was similar to a sci-fi, but it had a comic book hero theme wrapped around it and it's shot very dark (like Gotham city). The sky captain being the hero, who has a technical side-kick with nifty contraptions to aid in his quest. There is the pesky reporter who gets in the way, yet sometimes unknowingly helps to accomplish/solve tasks.

The overall story isn't new, but the combination of all the aspects made it different enough for me to say it was worth watching.

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
It's a tribute to the sci-fi serials of the 30s. If you've ever seen the old Flash Gordon reels, that's the feeling it's going for.
Actually, it has that much in common with the Indiana Jones movies, which were essentially a better realization of 30s action serials.

Anyway, there's a whole 1930s pulp/comic/movie serial motif at play there. I haven't summoned the strength to go see it yet, but I'm sure it'll make my inner geek very happy.

Wired magazine had a wonderful story about the decade-long effort involved in making the movie. Its director started out doing the whole thing in 3D, by himself, on a pre PPC Macintosh. The movie got made (animated), initially, with no-name actors so that studio heads could see what the hell the director was talking about... Anyway I wish the whole thing was up on the Wired site.

I'm planning to work my way through the Star Wars trilogy this week. I'll be watching my DVD transfers of the Laserdisc originals followed by the new DVD versions. The highlight will be the documentary disc at the end. I hope that I'm not so spoiled that the new versions will take something away from the originals, but I really want to see for myself.

CityK

Storage Freak Apprentice
For whatever reason, Star Wars crossed my mind the other day and I got to wondering if Peter Jackson would also do an episode one type move (in regards to the Hobbit). And sure enough, if you google, there is talk: example. That would be cool. For the voice of the Dragon, I would cast Patrick Stewart ....or maybe James Earl Jones ...."Bilbo, I am your father"

Anyways, I think I would enjoy seeing a P.Jackson making of the Hobbit come to fruition. I think I enjoyed the storyline of the Hobbit more then LOTR.

ddrueding

Fixture
I saw an interesting film the other day. Fall (1997) was Written, Directed, and Produced by Eric Schaeffer. He was also the star of the film, with him in a role he was very familiar with (he drive a cab for 9 years).

There's a very real feel to the film; despite it's slightly whimsical premise. This film is fairly painful, and can be interpreted many ways. Considering I'm usually depressed, I consider it a sad film. Nevertheless, it has a great plot and acting to match. Those that could relate to hi-fidelity should like this film.

I was tempted to post this right after I watched it; but wasn't sure what I felt about it.

Mercutio

Sin City.

Wow.

The movie is shot-for-shot like the panels of the comics that serve as its source. I wouldn't've thought a movie like that could be made without an adults only rating (NC17 in the US).

The movie kicks exactly as much ass as the comics did. It's a total testosterone-fest. For you all who haven't heard of it, the catalog of violence, profanity (not in the four-letter words sense - I mean "the opposite of sacred") and nudity that passes beautifully before your eyes over a two hour period really surpasses any rational description. There's a whole lot of "did I just see that?" moments, not just from the aforementioned sex and violence, but from the masterful cinematography as well.

I have to say that I haven't been so impressed with a first-run movie in a long, long time.

timwhit

Hairy Aussie
Mercutio said:
Sin City.

Wow.

The movie is shot-for-shot like the panels of the comics that serve as its source. I wouldn't've thought a movie like that could be made without an adults only rating (NC17 in the US).

The movie kicks exactly as much ass as the comics did. It's a total testosterone-fest. For you all who haven't heard of it, the catalog of violence, profanity (not in the four-letter words sense - I mean "the opposite of sacred") and nudity that passes beautifully before your eyes over a two hour period really surpasses any rational description. There's a whole lot of "did I just see that?" moments, not just from the aforementioned sex and violence, but from the masterful cinematography as well.

I have to say that I haven't been so impressed with a first-run movie in a long, long time.

I totally agree with you. Saw it on Saturday and was blown away. I might see it a second time in the theater and I have never seen a movie twice in the theater before.

LiamC

Storage Is My Life
I think I did see The Warriors (circa '79, '80) in a cinema twice. Forgive me, I was young...

MaxBurn

Storage Is My Life
I bookmarked this thread a long time ago to go through with netflix open next to it. I have to say though you all have covered my favorites, but I was able to add some in my never heard of it category. Great read though to remember all these movies....

Mercutio

Another comic book movie has come out, so it's time for me to make another post in this thread.

DC Comics is owned by AOL-Time Warner. AOL, font of all evil on the internet. Strike One.
DC Comics are the "establishment" comics that everyone knows from, at this point, four generations of constant media exposure. Everyone recognizes Superman (and, for that matter, his ENTIRE cast of supporting characters) and Green Lantern and Wonder Woman, but decades of bland, terrible writing have left a continuity filled with SuperDickery and characterization so bland that the dad from "The Brady Bunch" looks like a Hell's Angel in comparison. Strike Two.

My earliest exposure to DC comics - thanks to a cousin whose adult life has been spent as a purveyor of the finest in 4-color newsprint - was late-60s-era comics with writing so putrescent that, at age five, I knew enough not to like them (of course, being trapped in a farm town with no TV reception and allergies to "outside", I read hundreds of 'em anyway). I've never been able to wash that stink off, and I've never been able to enjoy a DC Super-Hero Comic book. I suppose that makes Strike three.

Heck, I can even tell you able Strike Four: DC Heroes have a little problem with super-power inflation. SuperMan might as well be God - there's just nothing he can't do. Another DC character, the Spectre, is written as the personification of the Wrath of God (note those capital letters). The Flash started as a guy who could run fast. Now he can selectively alter the vibration of his body and change the flow of time. What kind of interesting story do you tell about characters like that? The answer, if you are DC Comics, is that you DON'T tell interesting stories. Period.

I wish I could say that I had some kind of selective respect for Batman. I didn't. I can't. He was lumped in with all the rest, in part due to a comic-fan cliche: "If Batman and _____________" got in a fight, who would win?"
The joke, to comic fans (we don't get out much) is the answer - no matter who, be it Godzilla or Darth Vader or the Archangel Gabriel and all the Host of Heaven, goes in the blank: "Batman, if he has time to prepare."

But, I support comic-book characters in all media. So earlier this year I bought two volumes of the mid-90s-era "Batman: The Animated Series" on DVD, just because.

And not too long ago, while recovering from bronchitis, I actually watched them. And they were good. Dark and brooding stylish and surprisingly adult (even the voice acting was surprising, in that there were a couple recognizable celebrities in every episode). A million miles away from the DC comics I'd read 25 years ago.

Of course, then I sought out the late-80s/early-90s Batman Films, and reverted to my previous opinion. They were as awful as the Adam West crapfests I saw a few times when I was a little kid.

So I went to see "Batman Begins" tonight, vaguely hoping I'd see something more like the cool-as-hell cartoon than nipples-on-the-batsuit-and-Jim-Carrey-as-the-Riddler movies.

Gotta say, Batman doesn't tickle me the way Marvel Heroes do - I grin when I see the Hulk or Daredevil or Spiderman on a big screen - but I walked out impressed, and fully convinced that I'd gotten my $6 and 150 minutes' worth.

Batman Begins was filmed in Chicago and the location was used to marvelous effect in the movie. Batman's Gotham City is gritty and subterranean. It's up close and personal, not a giant set-piece like the old movies. Somewhere along the line, someone - someone brilliant - decided that the world Batman lives in should be an indecipherable mix of worn art-deco and Blade Runner-esque neon futurism. Man, does that look great on film.

Batman in this go-round is played by Christian Bale, who, the year prior to "Batman", lost something like 80lbs. for a role in "The Machinist". Dedicated guy. He looks good here, and he does a more-or-less note-perfect Bruce Wayne. This is the first media *I* have seen that really explores the character's drive for human perfection, the first portrayal of a character who could live up to the comic book cliche. Kilmer and Clooney, in the older films, managed to get the Playboy right, but never got past "Brooding" with the cowl on. Bale manages a deeper, scratchy voice as Batman, and for the first time, film audiences will be able to see that it is Batman who is the real person, with Bruce Wayne as the facade. This is something very important about the character that comic fans have known for a long time.

One complaint? Batman is a man with a square jaw. Bale's is just... not. He did excellent work in the role but, the words and the costume and the voice just did not go with that face. Comic fans are nit-picky, too.

Katie Holmes? Meh. Didn't care. She's not even that hot. They should've picked a different hot young brunette (Anyone seen Jennifer Love Hewitt lately?). One who hasn't been seen in public with both Tom Cruise and herpes sores. One nice thing: Her headlights are always on, so to speak. Every scene, every outfit, you know exactly what her nipples are doing. Homage to the Batsuit in "Batman and Robin", perhaps?

In nearly every other portrayal of Batman, Alfred and Commisioner Gordon are small, throw away roles. We know the names, of course - decades of radio shows, TV shows, movies and cartoons have made them minor but important characters in the mythology (I confess Ephraim Zimbalist Jr., in the Alfred role, in the cartoon, is one of its key charms). Here, Michael Caine gives Alfred a low-borne but dignified turn (a Michael Caine staple, I think. We've seen it in several other films) and some very important lines. Gary Oldman handles Gordon, and in a surprising turn, he's genuinely important to the plot of the movie!

The action is acceptable. Batman Begins falls into the common trick of Zero-attention-span editing of fight sequences (Bourne Supremacy and Daredevil are two other recent movies with this problem). It's annoying to not be able to tell what's going on, but it's also nice that the action sequences were done with human beings rather than CG. Big thanks that there wasn't any obvious Matrix-style wire-work or "bullet time".

Better than action in this case: Batman Begins manages some pretty good drama. This movie digs at Batman's psychology and motivations in ways that haven't been shown before, outside the comic (Detective Comics, the original Batman series, is somewhere around its 850th issue. That's 70 years of monkeys banging on typewriters, folks). Of course, the writer basically has to hit the audience over the head with a hammer, but comic book movie-goers aren't normally what you'd call critical thinkers, either.

The scoring is weak at best. Batman's theme might've been an attempt at minimalist classical music. It's not. It's a 3-note bass line in a crescendo. Very disappointing compared to the themes on the cartoon (Alice Walker) and the older movies (Danny Elfman). On the other hand, I didn't hear any popular music, no "Prince" theme song. Maybe I should be happy music wasn't a priority.

Obviously, I liked the movie. I liked that the movie managed a kid-unfriendly PG-13 rating. I liked the focus on building up Bruce Wayne as a character. I liked the non-obvious villains, the art direction and the cinematography. I liked what Bale did in the lead role (he just needs to fix his face!). It might not take my breath away in the way that seeing Spiderman swing through New York does, but it was a big step forward for my estimation of a DC Comics character.

Howell

Storage? I am Storage!
I recently saw "I heart Huckabees" and liked it. Although there was a completly gratuitous sex scene that did nothing for the story.

Bozo

Storage? I am Storage!
I was reading comic books in the 1950's. They all went to shit in the 60s.

You might like the movie "Second Hand Lion"

Bozo :mrgrn:

Mercutio

DC comics were shit in the 60s. That's why the very character and continuity-driven Marvel comics came to the forefront in the early and mid-60s.

Secondhand Lions was a good movie.

I saw Mr. and Mrs. Smith tonight. There were funny moments but I found myself laughing at jokes that were ABOUT to happen. I don't think that speaks highly of the writers.

e_dawg

Storage Freak
Excellent post, Merc. I've always thought Batman lacked characterization, but I thought it was all part of the mystique :) I am actually looking forward to Batman Begins to get a glimpse into what makes the bat tick.

e_dawg

Storage Freak
Saw Batman Begins and Crash this weekend. One of the best movie watching weekends I've had in a while...

We've already covered Batman, so I'll talk about Crash. Everybody says it's a story about racism, but it's much more than that. It's about interpersonal dynamics. It's about pride and prejudice (seriously). It's about situational behaviour...

In every situation or confrontation, there are a series of decisions that each charater makes that will affect the outcome of the situation and the fortunes of everyone involved in that situation. And each decision is affected by each characters' previous experiences, personal values, and culture, as well as by prejudice about the other characters they are interacting with. Each situation also escalates, and you can see that the interpersonal dynamics change with each word of the exchange. All it takes is someone to respond with a negative tone (usually caused by prejudice) to make the whole situation explode.

I love how you're immersed in these exchanges between the characters... that you are given the context and the opportunity to think "what would I do in this situation?" I love how it's not black and white, that you are allowed to think in shades of grey and use your moral and ethical judgement to a certain extent. I love how it's real and identifiable enough that you can leave the theatre thinking about how you could run into your own confrontation similar to one in the movie as you're leaving the theatre parking lot.

Just found out that Crash was written and directed by my man Paul Haggis, a fellow Canuck who wrote and directed Due South, a quirky detective show that never really took off in the US. He also wrote the screenplay for another movie you may or may not be familiar with: Million Dollar Baby ;)

Mercutio

So there was another Super Hero movie out today. Of course, that meant I had to pay $7 to see it.

The movie was Sky High. A Disney Movie. Rated PG. Or Maybe G. Something not R.

And I saw it as the only adult in the theater who did not bring along wombspew.

And despite the fact that it was so clean it squeaked, it was consistently funny and fun. The plot is simple: One part Disney-fied John Hughes Teen Flick + Superheroes. It works. Really. Even the soundtrack is a big in-joke to the moms and dads in the audience: the soundtrack is a highlight reel of remixed tracks from teen movies of the 80s. "Everybody Wants to Rule the World" from Real Genius, "I'll Melt with You" from Valley Girl.

No, I can't believe I know that, either.

I think I might've been the only person in the theater to get the in-joke of casting Lynda Carter as the principle of the School. And I couldn't get enough of Bruce "Ash" Campbell, Kevin McDonald and Dave Foley (former cast members from "The Kids in the Hall") in their respective bit parts.

I like Comic book movies. But even putting aside my opinion, the moms and dads around me were laughing, the kids were laughing. It was worth $7, even without any swearing or boobage.

Gilbo

Storage is cool
I enjoyed March of the Penguins as well.

Emperor Penguins are actually my favourite animal, which many people used to think was strange. Now they understand :mrgrn:. There's even a Penguin (not a real one don't worry) living in my fridge freeszer. My enjoyment of the movie was pretty much guaranteed, biased as I am, but if I try to be objective I can say that I think it was very well done. The subject matter and setting are remarkably enthralling on their own, but the documentary was well edited and scripted as well. Humour was also used very capably throughout the course of the movie to keep things light so that the gravity of the Emperors' story didn't weigh too heavily on the audience. Morgan Freeman's voice was excellent as well. He's got a terrific voice.

The Tragically Hip, a favourite band of mine, have a song named after the animal. All I can say is that Gord Downie is a wise man.

LiamC

Storage Is My Life
With two young ones, we don't get out much anymore. Saw The Constant Gardner yesterday. Powerful stuff. Lots of messages, but nothing too blatant--it allows you to make up your own mind. A good thriller. Rachel Weisz was brilliant, and if you only saw her in The Mummy, you'll be surprised. Even Rafe was good. Based on a John Le Carré novel.

LiamC

Storage Is My Life
Can't speak for the rest of the world, but here in the Antipodes, Kong opens today and Narnia not until the 26th. Fscking regions/Disney/MPIAA/NRA/White Supremecists/Jews/Muslims/Irish/Roman Catholics/Outsourcers/Big Business/Conservatives/Liberals/"Straight" guys seeing Brokeback mountain/Fascists/any other group I forgot to name...

Staggered launches are so 1940's, get with the times.

Mercutio

I downloaded the score to Narnia and listened to it today. That made me want to see the movie less. Honestly, it's more new-agey than classical. When I'm listening to the score for an epic fantasy movie, the last thing I should be wondering is if it's closer to Yanni or John Tesh.

Also the way it's being marketed here is essentially "It's that Mel Gibson Jebus movie but with a talking Lion", which also makes me want to see it less.

On the other hand, the trailers are still kinda cool.

LiamC

Storage Is My Life
Mercutio said:
I downloaded the score to Narnia and listened to it today. That made me want to see the movie less. Honestly, it's more new-agey than classical. When I'm listening to the score for an epic fantasy movie, the last thing I should be wondering is if it's closer to Yanni or John Tesh.

Heh! I get that way watching Babylon 5--Christopher Franke (who did the score) used to be in Tangerine Dream.

Mercutio said:
Also the way it's being marketed here is essentially "It's that Mel Gibson Jebus movie but with a talking Lion", which also makes me want to see it less.

On the other hand, the trailers are still kinda cool.

I downloaded the trailers, my soon-to-be 5 year old daughter thinks it's cool and I wanted to see if it would be suitable for her--no, I don't think it will be, but the trailer makes me want to see it. I think I will. I get the impression that they are going to do more of the books, I fervently hope that Disney don't do the "cut the budget and milk it for all its got" tactic, though given past experience, I suspect they will. So short sighted.

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
Mercutio said:
I've only read the first page and my impression is that the author of this article is one frustrated crap-pusher. I'm so tired of the following argument :
They were resolute in their refusal to go see it and they couldn’t stop loudly one-upping each other about how they had no interest, were not “curious,” and were, in the words of the loudest guy in the group, “straight as that wall over there.” Oh, the wall with poster for the Big Gay Cowboy Movie on it? That straight wall? Well here’s something that everyone else now knows but that guy: he’s probably gay.
That's like saying KKK members probably have african roots.

Oh and :
And no plugging your ears and singing “Mary Had a Little Lamb,” either. All singing is inherently gay, is why. Plus you’ll be in a movie theater and some big bruiser gay guy might kick your butt.
Now I would like to see a gay try to kick my butt. Not gonna happen. I've spent the last decade in gyms, I've seen countless gays into them and none of them will ever be able to kick my butt. Ever heard about a gay boxer? Nope? There's a reason why. Most of them are weak. They train for the look, not for the physical capabilities. They aren't just closer to women in the way they act. Their strenght is very "feminine" too.

So please, stop pretending you're a force to be reckon with. Gays impress no one.

Don't look at me like that. If you had been shovelling snow for two hours like I did this afternoon (twice), you would be pissed too and you would need to vent on something.

Mercutio

Coug, I can say without a shadow of a doubt that I know a transsexual (used to be a woman) who could kick your ass up and down the street all day long.

What someone chooses to do with his or her genitals has no-zero-none impact on any other characteristic of his or her personality or physicality.

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
Mercutio said:
Coug, I can say without a shadow of a doubt that I know a transsexual (used to be a woman) who could kick your ass up and down the street all day long.
Merc, I watched the strongest women competition and judging by the charges they lift, I'm stronger than the winner. I very much doubt that, no matter how much hormones it takes, a used-to-be-a-woman could kick my ass all day long.

Handruin

Administrator
Merc, have you not see what this man has done to his computer with a hammer and some anger? Now picture the transsexual’s face after he applies the same tactics? :sqnt:

Bozo

Storage? I am Storage!
I don't care what your preferences are, just don't try to push them on me or to justify it.
Don't need to see a gay movie.

Gay cowboys?
Where's John Wayne when you need him....??

Bozo :mrgrn: