Beware : In Win C589T-1, noisy as Hell

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
I moved my Core 2 Duo system into that case. That system is in my bedroom and there's no way I'mo going to be able to sleep next to it. I don't know if it's the rear 120mm fan or the power supply or both, but this thing is easily three times louder than my previous enclosure+PSU (Thermaltake Swing + Seasonic S12-380HB).

I switched cases because I needed the Thermaltake Swing for another project (PSU is too close to the motherboard in the In Win : the heatsink I wanted to use didn't fit), but I realized that I worked for nothing. I'll have to switch back. Calice.

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
Found the culprit : rear 120mm ARX FD1212-S3133E case fan. That POS turned at 1900rpm by default. ARX should be reserved for isolated servers. They are supposed to be quite reliable, but there's no way to make them quiet if you want to have decent airflow. SPCR rightfully bashed ARX fans ; I cannot agree more with the author. No idea who's the moron who decided to put this thing into a maintream enclosure.

Fortunately, I had a 120mm Antec fan lying on my desk. I set it to "low" and it moves well enough air from inside the enclosure. Now I can sleep.

ddrueding

Fixture
How open is the fan grille? I've found that cutting them out and (optionally) replacing them with a wire grille gives a tremendous improvement.

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
The grille is very opened. See the picture below :

11-108-018-12.JPG

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
I can't ever recall an Inwin case that I would call quiet.

The good news is, it'll be sturdy. Maybe Coug will need a hammer to properly express himself when a steel-toe boot doesn't cut it. ;)