beyond the 4 ide channels......

alt

What is this storage?
I'm getting a server case, and I'm installing all ide devices into the 6 bays.
What is the best method of adding devices to the bays beyond the normal 4 ide limit. Thanks for your expertise.
-alt

alt

What is this storage?
Groltz said:
Posting the same question in two different forums will not get you twice as many answers.

Ok.... I'm shooting for at least one legitimate answer/solution to my
question. I was told this forum had some experts here. I didn't think the question was beyond the scope of this forum.

Groltz

My demeaning user rank is
alt said:
Groltz said:
Posting the same question in two different forums will not get you twice as many answers.

Ok.... I'm shooting for at least one legitimate answer/solution to my
question. I was told this forum had some experts here. I didn't think the question was beyond the scope of this forum.

Check the "Tech Support" forum. One of our heavy hitters already answered it.

Handruin

Administrator
Groltz said:

Down Groltz, Down!!! No need to scare away the new members :mrgrn:

Just Kidding!

alt

What is this storage?
Groltz said:
Check the "Tech Support" forum. One of our heavy hitters already answered it.

If it's okay with you Groltz, I would be interested in hearing some other opinions, unless, of course, you are the question police to this forum.

Groltz

My demeaning user rank is
alt said:
If it's okay with you Groltz, I would be interested in hearing some other opinions, unless, of course, you are the question police to this forum.

I won't be adding anything else to your thread. Be advised that I do not have the empowerment to block or prevent other members from answering you, and even if I did I would not. If they want to answer you, they will. I'm not keeping them from doing so. Also, I suspect that if I hadn't given you the gentle hint that putting the same post in multiple forums is frowned upon, someone else may have done so in a much more vehement manner.

The Administrator said:
No need to scare away the new members

Fine

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
Behave. Both of you.

Don't call me a heavy hitter. That's silly. If you want a quality multi-channel card for RAID, look at 3ware. If all you need is an extra place to hang a JBOD of 5400rpm drives, hey, that's why we like Promise (well, not like. Tolerate with only occasional cursing).

alt

What is this storage?
Mercutio said:
Behave. Both of you.

Don't call me a heavy hitter. That's silly. If you want a quality multi-channel card for RAID, look at 3ware. If all you need is an extra place to hang a JBOD of 5400rpm drives, hey, that's why we like Promise (well, not like. Tolerate with only occasional cursing).

THANKS Mercutio for some actual Advice, instead of getting puss from the snobish little click that has festered in this otherwise nice forum.

P5-133XL

Xmas '97
alt said:
THANKS Mercutio for some actual Advice, instead of getting puss from the snobish little click that has festered in this otherwise nice forum.

You won't get very far by insulting those that you wish help from. I suggest a little more honey and a little less vinegar.

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
Groltz said:
Also, I suspect that if I hadn't given you the gentle hint that putting the same post in multiple forums is frowned upon, someone else may have done so in a much more vehement manner.
Why do I feel concerned?

alt said:
I would be interested in hearing some other opinions
Something that you should know is that most of our members usually visit ALL the forums. That's why Groltz suggested you not to double post. Everyone will see it even if you post it only in a single section of our forums. Groltz isn't snobish at all FYI.

Welcome BTW.

Tea

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.redhill.net.au
Hey! A real, honest to goodness spat! Great! I haven't seen one of those in ages. Now, let me see, which side shall I take?

(Tea pauses, scratches tummy in a ruminative way.)

Hmmm.. Line ball really.

(Hey! Tannin! Wake up! How's about I wade in with a dissertation on Alt's manners, parentage, and his terrible taste in clothing. Then you can hop in and defend him, meanwhile explaining what a scummy character Groltz is?)

(Huh? What time is it? Go back to sleep, Tea.)

Ahh. Bloody men. He's no fun anymore. How's a girl supposed to get some action around here anyway?

alt

What is this storage?
P5-133XL said:
You won't get very far by insulting those that you wish help from. I suggest a little more honey and a little less vinegar.

I have given honey(thanks) to those who have helped me, and vinegar to the critical. I fail to see the flaw in that.

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
[Really off-place joke that I feel the need to make]
Everybody calm down or I'm checking *all* your IPs.
[/Really off-place joke that I feel the need to make]

OK. Really. The motto here is to treat everyone with respect. Take up arms against the slings and arrows of outrageous fortune in private messages or email if you need to, or play freecell or a half-hour if you need to but at least insult everyone respectfully within the forums, 'kay?

P5-133XL

Xmas '97
alt said:
P5-133XL said:

I have given honey(thanks) to those who have helped me, and vinegar to the critical. I fail to see the flaw in that.

Real simple,

Hopefully, your appearance here is not a one time event: If it is a one time event, then it won't make any difference except to your Karma. If you offend then next time when you need something the person that has the answer may be the one you offended this time. You also are judged by others, like me, on how you treat those around you and even though you didn't specificy name me, I'll remember because I am part of the group you have offended. An insult to them is an insult to me too. The likelyhood of getting a future useful answer has just decreased.

It is far easier to hurt people's feelings than to being netural or nice, so to fix an insult takes far more effort than not giving the insult in the first place. In the end, I fail to see the benefit for supplying vinegar at all.

Platform

Learning Storage Performance
alt said:
I'm getting a server case, and I'm installing all ide devices into the 6 bays. What is the best method of adding devices to the bays beyond the normal 4 ide limit. Thanks for your expertise.
-alt

It will obviously take a second ATA controller. If you plan on using ATAPI or other non-hard-drive devices, the 3Ware RAID card mentioned will not work.

alt

What is this storage?
P5-133XL said:
Real simple,

Hopefully, your appearance here....................

If you would take your biased blinders off, you would see who started the bad attitude, I have the right to finish what was put on me. But then again, if you did take the blinders off you would no longer be a click. Catch 22.

P5-133XL

Xmas '97
Mercutio said:
Who in their right mind would need more than 4 ATAPI drives?

Lets see, a tape backup, a CD-Rom, a DVD-Rom, a CD-RW, a DVD-RW, a LS-120 I'm sure that there are more non-duplicates that I can place in a single machine. Lets have a ATAPI orgy.

Sol

Storage is cool
The really dirt cheep answer is to just buy a server board with ide raid. You can set it to run as a separate raid controller most of the time I think.
Of course if you ask storage enthusiasts for an answer on storage you'll get the high performance answer. My solutions probably pretty poor but if you don’t sit at your PC with a stop watch timing how long it takes to load you OS then you may never notice.
Not that there is anything wrong with that of course, its no worse than playing quake3 with the frame counter on all the time or any of the other things people do. But you need to ask if the difference is worth it to you.

Also I think you mean clique.

Click Somthing you do with a mouse.
Clique A small exclusive group of friends or associates.
From dictionary.com (well the second one anyway)

Sol

Storage is cool
An edit button, an edit button,
My kingdom for an edit button...

(I'd post on the for sale or trade forum too, but that would be frowned upon) :(

cquinn

What is this storage?
My apologies for taking this further off-topic.

If you would take your biased blinders off, you would see who started the bad attitude,

It doesn't matter who started it, what matters is how you look in the
way you handle it. And FWIW Groltz's did not come across to me
as "bad attitude". The initial comments may have been short, but
they were far from rude, and rather close to the norm for this forum.

Your second comment however, seemed to have an implied insult
as to the scope of this forum.

I have the right to finish what was put on me.

True, and you have the right to live with the consequences of how
other see you finishing it. You do not have to drop down to the level
that you percieve others coming from to get positive results.

But then again, if you did take the blinders off you would no longer be a click. Catch 22.

FWIW, its spelled "clique", and we don't have one of those around here*.

This site was originally formed by a group with shared interests in storage
technology and the community spirit that had been created at another site.
Many come here not because we agree (and in some cases because we
disagree); but because we have come to respect the opinions
of the other members, in spite of (and sometimes due to) the particular
quirks in their chosen posting style.

* The closest we seem to have to a clique is Tannin and Tea, and even
they seem to go out of the way to disagree with each other at times. :D

I have given honey(thanks) to those who have helped me, and vinegar to the critical.

And what do you end up giving to those who try to help you by being critical?