Bought a Thinkpad A30. This thing is a thank.

CougTek

Serial computer killer
I had a deal for a lease-return Thinkpad A30. It's a P3-M 1.13GHz with 256MB of RAM and a 30GB hard drive. My first impression when I opened the box was that the thing was big, so I was a little disappointed, but when I lifted the screen and started to play with it, my deception dissappeared. This laptop is VERY sturdy. It feels reliable. And the screen is beautiful for its time. It compares quite well with many modern laptops that sit on the shelves of big retail stores.

Ok, it's a little on the heavy side and the hard drive is sluggish (even for laptop standards). It could also use more RAM (512MB would be nice, but that's easy to fix), but considering the price (450$CAN, sold - my cost is lower), I think it's quite a bargain. I've used and repaired lots of laptops, but the Thinkpad is a class above the lot. Toshiba (all), Acer and Compaq pale in comparison. Even the Gateway Merc seems to like isn't that good.

I'm sold to IBM/Lenovo.

Groltz

My demeaning user rank is
That's the same desktop replacement unit that my last employer issued me for accessing online aircraft maintenance documents.

What a slow piece of crap...even with a Gig of ram in it.

At least you can substitute it for a 10-pound dumbbell during your workout routines.

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
I may have a 512MB PC133 DIMM for that thing, Coug. I'll have to look and see if I still have it. I know I have at least a couple 256MB PC100 modules, but they're Compaq spares and I kind think I couldn't make them work in anything else.

Anyway, there's no doubt in my mind that Thinkpads are the best notebooks available. For a consumer laptop, I like the Gateway just fine. I think it's a couple steps up from a Vaio or Presario, but even I know that's just splitting hairs.

CougTek

Serial computer killer
I take back my statement regarding the screen. It is quite good, but the viewing angles aren't comparable to modern laptops' screens.

I'm sorry you didn't like your Groltz. Maybe I like it considering its price, but I still find it quite pleasant to work on.

Mercutio, If you still have that RAM AND you don't think you'll need it otherwise, tell me what's your price and maybe I'll take it. I'm interested.

CougTek

Serial computer killer
I installed Win2K on it and almost everything works fine. I tested the parts (RAM, hard drive) previously and all are in perfect shape. Unlike many used laptops, the battery is far from behind dead and it is still good for more than 2 hours. I flashed the BIOS and embedded controller firmware to the latest versions.

My only problem is that it refuses to shutdown or reboot from Windows. At first, it worked, but I think one of the power management application or driver screwed it up. So I have to re-install Windows and figure out what I did wrong the first time and not do it again. If it wasn't of this little issue, the laptop would now be in perfect working order.

RWIndiana

Learning Storage Performance
I have an A31. It sure looks clunky on the outside but it really is sturdy. I think I could throw the thing and not dent it. If there were a laptop demolition derby I'm betting that these Thinkpads would rank pretty high.

I have a Win2K license with it but never got around to installing it yet (I plan to sometime, who knows when). Mostly using Linux anyway, which turned out astonishingly simple to install. Seems IBM is not in the Microsoft boat and actually supports Linux to some degree. Cool. :)

What I don't like is that it doesn't have a touchpad. Although sometimes it does make for fewer misakes.