Bowled Over By Cereal Attached SCSI

sechs

Storage? I am Storage!
I was thinking about something along the lines of Rice Krispies boxes with 50-pin connectors....

Santilli

Hairy Aussie
3 GB/sec drives? Any idea about what kind cost for such a setup?

At what point is there a bottleneck on the current server/workstation Supermicro motherboards? In other words, what can the motherboard chipsets and data paths handle, using the current Xeons etc.?

Thanks

gs

Santilli

Hairy Aussie
Are there any really big processor jumps coming soon? Are the Opeterons close to max design speed?

s

blakerwry

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
justblake.com
Santilli said:

At what point is there a bottleneck on the current server/workstation Supermicro motherboards? In other words, what can the motherboard chipsets and data paths handle, using the current Xeons etc.?

Thanks

gs

That's 3 Gb/sec, versus S-ATA's current 1.5Gb/sec. In a year or so that'll probably become standard.

Pradeep

Storage? I am Storage!
Santilli said:

Thanks

gs

PCI-X 133MHz slots (not to be confused with forthcoming PCI-Express) are good for a theoretical 1GB/sec.

Opterons have plenty of headroom yet, I would anticipate them moving up to 3GHz at least.

Santilli

Hairy Aussie
PCI-X 133MHz slots (not to be confused with forthcoming PCI-Express) are good for a theoretical 1GB/sec.

Cool :excl: :excl:

I/O Expansion 1 8x/4x AGP Pro
1 64-bit 133MHz PCI-X
2 64-bit 100MHz PCI-X
2 32-bit 33MHz PCI

I've got one of those, :wink: and I suspect the 100 mhz PCI-X aren't too bad, either.

:mrgrn:

s

iGary

Learning Storage Performance
* A PCI Express device will not have to share *any* PCI bandwidth with another PCI device, however, PCI-X will have to share bandwidth if there's another PCI device plugged into that PCI bus segment.

* PCI Express is a full-duplex bus, PCI-X is half-duplex.

* PCI Express will cost less overall.