Broken XP

Bozo

Storage? I am Storage!
Usually when I encounter a computer at work that won't boot with "NTLDR not found" or some such message I install a new hard drive and install the backup.
Now I have been ask to try and repair a hard drive so some files can be retreived. I have used the Repair option that comes up after the EULA, but have never had any luck with the first repair option that drops to a command prompt. ( This is an XP install and the XP CD cannot 'see' the original install, so the second repair option won't work)

Any suggestions? What steps or commands should I try? Any particular order?

Thanks,
Bozo :joker:

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
The issue is that the Windows disc you're using isn't appropriate for the version of Windows on the PC. There are three main versions of Windows CDs: Retail, OEM and Volume. There are also standard OEM discs, and manufacturer-specific discs.
Each disc is evaluated and must be the proper service pack level to perform the repair. If your dead box is on SP3, and your install CD is SP1, it's not going to work.

The Recovery console can be used to do a lot of basic repair things. It can replace the MBR, the boot sector or rebuild your boot.ini. You can use it to disable services. But that's about all it's good for.

Bozo

Storage? I am Storage!
Thanks Merc.
I believe the XP install is so borked up that the XP CD cannot find the XP install. Or, the hard drive has failed beyond help. (it is a 6 year old WD)

Bozo :joker: