Budget graphics cards

blakerwry

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
justblake.com
well in counter strike (dont remember if it was d3d or openGL) the TNT 1 was much smoother.. maybe minimum frame rate is more important than average frame rate.

This was just a year or so ago.. using winME and newest matrox/nvidia drivers at the time

e_dawg

Storage Freak
Mercutio said:
The cost of a Matrox card, unless you can find G400 system pulls or something (Axion Technologies is selling G450s for $35, if anyone cares BTW), is simply to much to bear for a typical PC.

Indeed. I was very skeptical about the quality of the OEM G450 that I bought for $20 -- I thought it wasn't even a Matrox card. But it is, and it's the perfect solution for a low-cost PC. It's a shame the store ran out of the G450's; this thread got me thinking I should go out and buy another G450 to keep on hand. But alas, the best alternative locally is a $35 PowerColor Radeon 7000.

sechs

Storage? I am Storage!
They're really nice 2D cards... but not that nice.

I'm sure that they can be picked-up for cheap as used.

Computer Generated Baby

Learning Storage Performance
Mercutio said:
They're REALLY hard to find. The only local vendor I know who stocks G450s wants $115 for them, new.

Hmmmm... A market for new/old stock G450s? Exact replacement parts, one would have to assume. Nonetheless, US$115 is really too much. $50 to 60 would be a fair price for a dual-head model. (By the way, there were some cheapie non-dual-head OEM models made for certain vendors such as Dell, IBM, H/PaQ, and generic white-box OEM.) The G450 hasn't been manufactured for a while now.

In the meantime, some marketing propaganda to dwell on (100% true, I might add) :

http://www.matrox.com/mga/workstation/digital_design/news/archive_story/jun2004/digital_design.cfm

Buck

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.hlmcompany.com
Mercutio said:
They're REALLY hard to find. The only local vendor I know who stocks G450s wants $115 for them, new.

I can get them for less, but they're still expensive. I end up selling the 32MB AGP 4x version for $100.00. The PCI version costs more, and then there is the 16MB AGP 4x version, which I could sell for $80.00 if I wanted to (I'd rather sell a really nice ATI card for that price). (Of course all three cards are dual head DDR.)

Computer Generated Baby

Learning Storage Performance
CougTek said:
...The G400 MAX was one of the fastest cards of its time. The main problem with it was the poor drivers that Matrox delivered at first...

It wasn't actually poor drivers, it was no drivers -- as in no Open GL drivers. After some months, when they finally did deliver the OpenGL drivers, they were lackluster in the speed department. I think it took 'em something like 1-1/2 years to get deliver acceptable (speed-wise) OpenGL drivers. Otherwise, from the get go, the regular ol' display drivers were the usual solid performing affair for the G400 and G400 MAX.
  • Something to note is that Matrox was the first company, and maybe even the only company ever, to be allowed by Microsoft to deliver WHQL Certified drivers directly to the public without first submitting them to Microsoft's Windows Hardware Quality Laboratory (WHQL) for testing and certification. Several years ago Microsoft instituted WHQL for testing and certifying for all kernel mode drivers so as to keep buggy drivers from crashing Windows.

http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/getstart/testing.mspx

i

Wannabe Storage Freak
Buck said:
ATI Xpert 98 8MB - sub $30.00 (these seem to be more or less give-away items now)
Those are so rare now. I wish I knew where to find ATI Xpert 98 AGP ("no bloody 2x, 4x, OR 8x") with video out. I've only got one ... I wish I had at least 4 more.

Santilli

Hairy Aussie
I guess Matrox does a really good job of testing, but, the tradeoff is impatient customers. Read Matrox forum.

Still, the g550, and P-650 are both crystal clear, and everytime I sit down at this computer I can't get over the difference the card makes in 2d.

s

mubs

Storage? I am Storage!
What's the deal on AGP speeds? Will a 4x/8x card throttle back in a 1x/2x motherboard? Some cards (especially Matrox) list all the speeds, like 1x/2x/4x/8x. Anybody know?

i

Wannabe Storage Freak
mubs said:
What's the deal on AGP speeds? Will a 4x/8x card throttle back in a 1x/2x motherboard? Some cards (especially Matrox) list all the speeds, like 1x/2x/4x/8x. Anybody know?

I really wish I had a complete (not to mention guaranteed correct) answer to that question.

I did a lot of reading this morning to see if I could come to any solid conclusions. In fact I did reach two solid conclusions. Here's the first one: the answer to this question was likely abundant all over the web back in the year 2000. Questions about compatibility with 1x/2x seem to be about 4 years late.

I tried though. Here is my second solid conclusion:

AGP specifications involve too many numbers.

Hope that's helpful.

If not, here's my totally nebulous, possibly incorrect, and most certainly vague third conclusion:

AGP speeds are theoretically fully backwards compatible. However, the reality appears to be a bit different. AGP speeds are sometimes backwards compatible between 2x and 1x, 4x and 2x, and between 8x and 4x. Sometimes 8x is also backwards compatible to 4x and 2x, but not always. But an 8x card will never be backwards compatible with an original AGP (1x) slot.

Why the discrepancy between theory and reality when it comes to backwards compatibility? Voltages. I think. Allow me to “explain”:

What speeds are there?

AGP (now apparently referred to as “AGP 1x” due to all the changes that came along)
AGP 2x
AGP 4x
AGP 8x

What voltages are there?

3.3V
1.5V
0.8V

Simple enough so far. Here's where things get confusing, primarily due to the fact that Yogi Berra was the head of the AGP design group.

AGP in the original specification worked with 3.3V. From what I read this morning, back then you could find AGP motherboards and graphics cards that handled 1x or 2x speeds at that 3.3V level. However, based on my memory and some common sense about how things develop, I can only assume that it was just AGP (1x) at first and that AGP 2x didn't turn up until some time later. I sure don't remember facing any dilemma as to which AGP “speed” to choose back when I was first in the market for AGP ... heck, it was just AGP or PCI ... none of this speed nonsense.

Anyway, that was apparently AGP in the original specification. Because there have been specifications released since then for newer AGP variants, people now seem to refer to the original AGP specification, running on 3.3V, at either 1x or 2x speed, as being belonging to the AGP 1.0 specification.

See what I mean about my second conclusion above? It gets worse...

Then the AGP specification 2.0 was released.

And all hell broke loose.

Hah. Just kidding. All hell didn't really break lose. But it should have, because things were relative straightforward until this point.

The AGP 2.0 specification introduced AGP at the 4x speed, which is ok if you're into that sort of “faster” thing. But it also did something evil. It declared a new voltage level: 1.5V.

Furthermore ... and god knows what group of idiots allowed this to happen and when ... it also seems that around this point it became possible to find AGP 2x cards that operate only at this lower voltage too. I guess some manufacturers of the slower speed cards figured they may as well adopt some part of the AGP 2.0 specification, even if they didn't adopt the higher 4x speed.

So, for graphics cards and slots, we now have these possibilities:

AGP at 3.3V
AGP 2x at 3.3V
AGP 2x at 1.5V
AGP 4x at 1.5V

The introduction of 4x happened around, what, the year 2000?

Anyway, at this point, the AGP monkeys were still somewhat interested in backwards compatibility. At least a little. Remember, the speeds are supposed to be backwards compatible ... it's the voltage that's the potential killer. (Hah! Get it? Potential killer? Nevermind.)

AGP slots are “keyed.” AGP slots with the vertical key nearest the backplate are 3.3V slots. AGP slots with the vertical key furthest from the backplate are 1.5V slots.

Just for the hell of it, there are also motherboards out there that apparently have “universal” AGP slots that can supply either 3.3V or 1.5V. The AGP slots on these motherboards have no keys at all! Great.

Now, because the AGP 2.0 specification didn't just blindly introduce 4x without also requiring speeds to be backwards compatible, if you see an AGP 4x card, it might be able to work at the slower 2x speed. Does this have something to do with the voltage, you ask? Who the hell knows. I really have no idea. I'm looking at pictures of these 4x cards that are keyed for both 3.3V and 1.5V. Now what the hell does that really mean? As best as I can tell, they'll be electrically tolerant should you stick one of these “double-keyed” 4x cards into an AGP 1x slot, but who knows if it will actually work. All you might be guaranteed is that the graphics card and/or your motherboard won't burst into flames because the card is apparently telling you that it can at least shrug off 3.3V without causing damage, if not actually use it for something.

So, in my case, I'm just going to buy a freaking $40 AGP 4x card and ram it into my original AGP slot and see what happens. I'll post pictures here if doing so results in anything ... interesting.

I may as well add a comment about that 0.8V option. That's the new voltage level introduced by the AGP specification 3.0. Backwards compatibility was really broken at this point. If I read correctly, an 8x card, despite being an 0.8V device, is keyed for 1.5V. That just means it's tolerant of being stuck in a 1.5V slot. It does not mean it's guaranteed to function in any way, shape or form. Technically it's an AGP 3.0 device, running at 8x, and it needs 0.8V. So if you don't stick it into an obliging slot, you're in uncharted territory. That said, again from what I read, most graphics card manufacturers seem to be pulling the required tricks to make sure their cards do work if you happen to do this however (presumably by making each of their cards capable of using either 0.8V or 1.5). I can only assume that it should therefore also be possible for an 8x card to be tolerant of a 2x slot (again, whether it will work or not is up to the manufacturer). That, however, assumes you've got a 2x slot that is keyed for 1.5V! Apparently there's no way in heck you're going to get an 8x card working in either a 2x slot at 3.3V or a 1x slot at 3.3V.

Confusingly, much like when AGP specification 2.0 came out and you apparently wound up seeing AGP 2x out there at both the earlier 3.3V and the newer 1.5V, with the release of AGP specification 3.0, apparently AGP 4x now exists at the original 1.5V level, and this new 0.8V level.

So that leaves us with this:

AGP at 3.3V
AGP 2x at 3.3V
AGP 2x at 1.5V
AGP 4x at 1.5V
AGP 4x at 0.8V
AGP 8x at 0.8V (but sometimes the capacity to use 1.5V is apparently snuck onto the card by the manufacturer)

And then there's AGP Pro.

Cards that have that weird key swooping out the bottom like a tiny hockey-stick have included that thing so that they'll work in an AGP Pro slot. Beyong that, I'm not going to give AGP Pro a second thought. I'd never even heard of it this morning, which means one of the following:

1) I'm completely out of the loop these days with respect to computer technology
2) It died a horrible death and nobody actually uses it anymore

Ok, so both of those are possible.

My final thought:

I should have stuck with ISA. :p

I'll let you know how this $40 shot-in-the-dark goes. Until then, you can sit back and wait for all the posts from other people informing me how incredibly wrong I am about all this stuff.

ddrueding

Fixture
Great post, good humor ;)

everything looks right to the best of my knowledge except for the AGP Pro stuff. IIRC, the short of it is that it provides additional power to pro level cards, while being the same as 8x in all other respects. It kind of has died now that cards are just taking their own molex connectors.

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
It's used by a lot of "professional" cards. Personally, I think AGP Pro is a better solution than plugging a power connector directly into a card, but what do I know?

mubs

Storage? I am Storage!
i, thank you so very much for that fantastically detailed post! I really, really appreciate the effort you put into it!

While I could have googled and gone to AGP.org (or whatever it's called), I was sure I'd land into the same mess of FUBARred info you found. Hence my question to the August members of this forum, many of whom build computers for a living. Practical knowledge and experience beat out theory anyday.

The reason for my question was that my current motherboard, while aging (~ 4 years old) still has some service life left, but my Radeon 32 (the original) has grown too long in the tooth. The motherboard doc only says AGP spec is currently at 1x/2x; no voltages are listed. The key in the AGP slot is near the back, so it is presumably a 3.3v slot. Most newer cards seem to be at least 4x. Hence the question.

Perhaps the right thing to do would be to wait till PCI-E settles down and go that route. Not that we won't see the same FUBARring with PCI-E - seems to be a disease the industry just cannot shake off.

i

Wannabe Storage Freak
Mercutio said:
By the way, thanks for stopping by, i.

Hey there Mercutio. :) Withdrawl got the better of me. 8)

And a hello to everyone else, especially ddrueding, CityK, and mubs who seem to gravitate towards the same historical/nostalgic discussions I do (Drew Kaplan ... what a champ that guy). :)

And mubs, you're quite welcome for the info. I really needed to know that stuff too. I'm in a very similar position, only in my case (full of puns today, I am) I'm trying to find an AGP video card with TV-out that will work with these old, but never used, DFI motherboards I picked up from some surplus store last summer.

The last thing I've got to find for them is some I/O shields. They use the old "Aurora" type of shield that I used to have to deal with back in 1997-1999. I remember seeing them from time to time right up until last summer, so I never figured I'd have a problem getting some. Silly me ... I should have picked up a few when I had the chance. See this page for a good diagram of what they look like (second down from the top - the "Type M" or "Aurora compatible" type). I'm sure anyone today would think they are crazy looking. Back then I used to come across a few of the even more antique "AT" style backplate that was used on the occasional AT/ATX combination motherboards (just when AT was beginning to be replaced by ATX).

Anyone here seen those Aurora backplates for sale recently? Ironically I've got a bunch that are designed specifically for In-Win cases, but the edges of the plate are completely different and thus don't fit in "normal" cases.

Fushigi

Storage Is My Life
Thanks to i's post above I shouldn't be caught short as I upgrade my wife's PC. At Fry's, which just opened their first Chicagoland store yesterday, I picked up a passively cooled PNY 8X 64MB GF440MX for $29.90. That's under half Newegg's price.

I'll resurrect the Budget PC upgrade thread to post the rest of her upgrade specs.

Bookmage

What is this storage?
Website
www.bookmage.net
budget video card

so, wut constitutes a budget video card?
sub 50$? sub 100$? cheapest possible?
if you're not gaming, then would an ati radeon 9000 for 50$ be good?
or would it be better to spend the extra 10$ for a 9200 or 9600se?
And does anyone know if the radeon series is natively detected in win 2k or higher?
What about the Geforce 5xxx? or higher?

Why choose the Sapphire line of Radeon? Why not the ATI brand or something else like Visiontek which is in my local area? And I stay away from PowerCooler Crap.

I'm looking at a budget vid card for a server and possibly a medium use game card to run the best of today's game. All on a budget of course.
So I was thinking Radeon 9600 or a Geforce 4 or Geforce 5600+

Fushigi

Storage Is My Life
Re: budget video card

Bookmage said:
so, wut constitutes a budget video card?
sub 50$? sub 100$? cheapest possible?
I define it as the cheapest card that satisfies the need. Anything that doesn't satisfay the need isn't worth buying at any price. That said, $50-80 should satisfy the need for just about anything but the modern gamer. As I noted in my above post, I picked up a GF440MX for $30. It's for my wife, who basically surfs and does light duty Word type stuff. Way more horsepower than she actually needs but it was the cheapest I could find that'd work in an 8X AGP slot.
if you're not gaming, then would an ati radeon 9000 for 50$ be good?
or would it be better to spend the extra 10$ for a 9200 or 9600se?
What do you use the system for? That'll help us answer the question better.
And does anyone know if the radeon series is natively detected in win 2k or higher?
What about the Geforce 5xxx? or higher?
I'm not sure, but I am confident the bundled drivers wouldn't have any problems.
Why choose the Sapphire line of Radeon? Why not the ATI brand or something else like Visiontek which is in my local area? And I stay away from PowerCooler Crap.
It's my understanding that Sapphire and ATI cards are made at the same factory. And Sapphire cards tend to be cheaper. That said, the AIW 9600Pro I purchased a few months ago is an ATI branded card (it had a good sale price).
I'm looking at a budget vid card for a server and possibly a medium use game card to run the best of today's game. All on a budget of course.
So I was thinking Radeon 9600 or a Geforce 4 or Geforce 5600+
For a server you'd want the cheapest reliable card, so the passively cooled (no fan to fail) GF440 I mentioned above would be plenty. Overkill even. An old 8MB Rage-based or even a 4MB Savage card is fine. Servers barely need video at all. However, once you say you want to play the modern games, even if not at top performance levels, I would say you should look for a card with DirectX 9 hardware support. The ATI 9600 series (and newer) should have it (mine does so I'm assuming all do). In GeForce land, I'm not sure when DX9 support came about.

Bookmage

What is this storage?
Website
www.bookmage.net
so would hte only reason to get a passive video card is so the fan doesn't fail?
and the noise?
I was wondering why passive was recommended.
And along the same lines, I'm guesing pci and agp wouldn't matter much in a server.
What about a media box running some small linux/windows client for streaming video/music to a tv/reciever?
Would AGP/PCI make much difference?
I'm thinkin of using an old p3 733 in a matx case for a media client, but I'm not sure if I should find a mobo w/agp. Lookin at an Intel 810 or 815 chipset.
Wish I could find an ASUS T/CUSL2-M.
Does Sapphire or anyone include half height brackets for half height video cards?

Handruin

Administrator
In most servers I think you'd be hard pressed to find an AGP solution. I think most of the serverworks chipsets don't have AGP...at least in the dell servers I've seen. Funny enough, it was a big deal over on bensbargains how people would want to buy the cheap poweredge machines and complain that it has no agp. Now you'll often see people joke in the comments that a product offered has no agp, even if it isn't a computer. :)

i

Wannabe Storage Freak
i said:
Now, because the AGP 2.0 specification didn't just blindly introduce 4x without also requiring speeds to be backwards compatible, if you see an AGP 4x card, it might be able to work at the slower 2x speed. Does this have something to do with the voltage, you ask? Who the hell knows. I really have no idea. I'm looking at pictures of these 4x cards that are keyed for both 3.3V and 1.5V. Now what the hell does that really mean? As best as I can tell, they'll be electrically tolerant should you stick one of these “double-keyed” 4x cards into an AGP 1x slot, but who knows if it will actually work. All you might be guaranteed is that the graphics card and/or your motherboard won't burst into flames because the card is apparently telling you that it can at least shrug off 3.3V without causing damage, if not actually use it for something.

So, in my case, I'm just going to buy a freaking $40 AGP 4x card and ram it into my original AGP slot and see what happens. I'll post pictures here if doing so results in anything ... interesting.

I'm shocked.

I just plugged one of these into the 3.3V AGP 1x slot on my antique DFI motherboard.

And it worked.

No bright blue flash ... no puff of smoke. Just functionality. What is this world coming to?

There's something fundamentally weird about taking a card with a knife-edge connector that's missing a chunk out of it for a key that doesn't exist on the slot you're about to insert it into ... and then having the two work together.

Oh, and while Newegg has "1x" listed in the brief details for the card, the System Requirements they include lower down on the page don't mention 1x. Those system requirements are actually taken directly from the ATI product page for this card. So according to the manufacturer, this card does not support AGP 1x.

Surprise!

mubs

Storage? I am Storage!
You were not shocked - the card worked. You're losing your flair for the pun, i.

Well, I'm glad it worked for you. The Newegg link you provided does show "AGP 1X/2X/4X" in both the summary and detailed specs. Of course, one never knows of it will work till one plugs one in (let's see ya figger that one out).

i

Wannabe Storage Freak
mubs said:
You were not shocked - the card worked. You're losing your flair for the pun, i

It was left as an exercise to the reader. :)

And yes, the "bus interface" shows 1x in there, but not the more detailed "system requirements" section. In fact, that section even specifies "AGP 2.0 Compliant Bus" which I do not think I have.

Perhaps the dust bunnies are offering some degree of assistance.

CityK

Storage Freak Apprentice
Well, personally I'm a little bit dissapointed. After so much build up, I was hoping that, at the very least, the words "three alarm blaze" or "it took hours to get it under control" would have found their way into the follow up.

i

Wannabe Storage Freak
CityK said:
Well, personally I'm a little bit dissapointed.
Yes, it was a bit anti-climactic. Actually working. Who expected that one? Not me, that's for sure.

CityK said:
After so much build up, I was hoping that, at the very least, the words "three alarm blaze" or "it took hours to get it under control" would have found their way into the follow up.
How about, "it took hours to get the dust bunnies back under control."

CityK

Storage Freak Apprentice
hmmmm....well, I suppose the dust vermits will have to do. :(

Tea

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.redhill.net.au
time said:
Tea, I think you should reconsider.

I've been pondering it, Time, but in the end, I decided against it. The benefit of having one driver that works with everything we build (and with almost everything we have built in the last three years or so - ever since the 8MB S3 Trio 64 3Ds and the Voodoo IIIs faded out, really) is just too compelling to let go of.

And now that we have got serious about our mainboard selections and axed the two (out of four) poorest-selling mainboards we stock, we have one single main board driver too. (Yup: the two poor sellers were both Nforce IIs: one with integrated video (that gives driver problems) and one high-end thing that causes more problems than it cures.)

Nuffin but Nvidia for video
Nuffin but VIA for motherboards
Nuffin but Geil for RAM
Nuffin but Samsung for hard drives.

Life can be so easy when you organise it right.

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
Radeon cards also use a unified driver. The only thing that's different is having to install the MMC-related stuff if you have an all in Wonder.

Buck

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.hlmcompany.com
Tea et al, with the VIA motherboards you sell, have any of them used the VIA 6103L LAN Chip? What sort of performance do you see from this chip? I was planning on purchasing some Gigabyte 7VT600-RZ boards.

Tea

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.redhill.net.au
I'm not sure, Buck. They nearly all have LAN these days, but I've never measured the performance. Hell, I'd have to ask you guys to help me figure out how to measure LAN performance. The reality is that 90% of the time, the only LAN performance I notice is what I can get out of my cable supplier — which wouldn't stretch an old 10Mb/sec card, never mind a 10/100, no matter how bad it was.

We did have a tiny bit of trouble with a 3Com embedded NIC in an older Albatron board — a KT-400, back when the KT-400 was brand new — but that was only two boards out of maybe 100, one of them the one in this machine. I switched it off and plugged in a Realtek instead. It's still there.

As for Gigabyte, our Gigabyte importer, for reasons best known to himself, switched over from the KT-400 Gigabyte board to a SiS-based one. Now I don't mind SiS chipset boards (so long as they ain't from PCChips), but I prefer the VIA so we switched back to Albatron, then Epox, and now Biostar. I really like the Biostars — and we haven't sold that brand since the grand old days when Tannin and I sold a truckload of Biostar 386DX-40s. (Err ... Come to ponder it, I don't think I was born back then. Funny: I still remember it.)

Now that we have dropped the Nvidia Nforce II things (in favour of a Biostar KT-600 with stand-alone Firewire card — costs the same) we are not buying anything Gigabyte at all, bar entry-level video cards and (of all things) DVD burners. (Only one with 2 year warranty. Or was: Lite-On are doing two years as well now.)

Buck

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.hlmcompany.com
Buck said:
Tea et al, with the VIA motherboards you sell, have any of them used the VIA 6103L LAN Chip? What sort of performance do you see from this chip? I was planning on purchasing some Gigabyte 7VT600-RZ boards.

I just installed one of these and they're pretty nice. Two minor gripes, the ATA connectors are bit low on the board, but the cables still reach in my standard cases. The audio connector is also low on the board, but again, the audio cable still reaches with my standard cable.

Of course I like the passive cooling, and the placement of the power connector is good. The footprint of the board is decent too, it's wide enough to fit 5 PCI slots (none of those crazy CNR/ANR slots) but not so deep that you need all 9 screws. It is a 6 screw design with the board ending right after the second row of screws (no extra bit that doesn't have support), leaving plenting of room for the drive portion of the case. The jumper block for the power switch, reset switch, etc., is labeled beautifully, making it easy to hook those items up -- no need for the manual.