Buying a projector

ddrueding

Fixture
Yeah, I can propose whatever I want, but it has to be defensible. In my interest I'll be looking for as fool-proof a system as possible that offers quantifiably better performance than what he had for the lowest price.

That price (of course) needs to be reasonably near the projected repair costs of the existing unit. Complicating this fact is that we now have a new $1500 bulb for the existing projector, skewing the calculation more towards repair.

Pradeep

Storage? I am Storage!
Just sent the SIM2 back to Florida for repairs, when the bulb blew it sprayed molten glass all over the internals and caused the fan controller to fail.

Now I get to decide what the "tipping point" repair cost is that causes us to evaluate new units. Also needing consideration is that most of the rest of the processing system is 720p limited, and that no HDMI was run to the projector booth when the fiber was run.

This is going to get messy and expensive fast.

What is the distance between the playback devices and the projector position in the booth?

ddrueding

Fixture
About 40 feet direct, the cable run will end up being closer to 75 feet.

Thinking wireless? There are two very sturdy walls in between.

Santilli

Hairy Aussie
HMMM.

All of my cables are monoprice, most of the lower standard, and all work flawlessly with Bluray.

They don't like snaking much.

While I was dumping 50k into building an IMSA street legal race car, one of our friends
bought a Ferrari for 3000 dollars. Superamerica 400, or something like that. He thought he had the steal of the century. Valve guides, and a valve job were 2500 dollars. This in 1975, when a used Shelby Cobra 427 was 4 grand.

Another friend got a Kawasaki something. 1100 cc's, did 0-60 in 2 seconds, in first gear, with out burning rubber. How do I know? I was on it when it did it. It would have been nice if the front wheel was somewhere near the ground... It cost 5 grand at the time.

Wouldn't have traded any of that to drive a frigging Civic.

As for todays' civic out doing a Ferrari, get a grip. It really depends on the Ferrari.
Back then you could buy a Formula one car from Ferrari with fenders, and drive it on the street. No stupid Honda could come anywhere near that car.

You can thank the Lambourgini Miura for forcing Ferrari to bring Lemans racers to the streets, and, last time I looked, a civic never won LeMans. That said, Honda made some incredible formula one engines, and cars...

Let's not forget you could buy street legal McLaren race cars.

Also, the gorilla in the corner is a Porsche street version of the 917 that did near 240 at LeMans, and, killed the Canam series. Hows 1200 reliable horses in a go cart? Not enough? They built a 2000 hp flat 16, and
kept it in a garage, just in case someone made the 1200 hp 917-30 breath hard.

Pradeep

Storage? I am Storage!
HMMM.

All of my cables are monoprice, most of the lower standard, and all work flawlessly with Bluray.

They don't like snaking much.

While I was dumping 50k into building an IMSA street legal race car, one of our friends
bought a Ferrari for 3000 dollars. Superamerica 400, or something like that. He thought he had the steal of the century. Valve guides, and a valve job were 2500 dollars. This in 1975, when a used Shelby Cobra 427 was 4 grand.

Another friend got a Kawasaki something. 1100 cc's, did 0-60 in 2 seconds, in first gear, with out burning rubber. How do I know? I was on it when it did it. It would have been nice if the front wheel was somewhere near the ground... It cost 5 grand at the time.

Wouldn't have traded any of that to drive a frigging Civic.

As for todays' civic out doing a Ferrari, get a grip. It really depends on the Ferrari.
Back then you could buy a Formula one car from Ferrari with fenders, and drive it on the street. No stupid Honda could come anywhere near that car.

You can thank the Lambourgini Miura for forcing Ferrari to bring Lemans racers to the streets, and, last time I looked, a civic never won LeMans. That said, Honda made some incredible formula one engines, and cars...

Let's not forget you could buy street legal McLaren race cars.

Also, the gorilla in the corner is a Porsche street version of the 917 that did near 240 at LeMans, and, killed the Canam series. Hows 1200 reliable horses in a go cart? Not enough? They built a 2000 hp flat 16, and
kept it in a garage, just in case someone made the 1200 hp 917-30 breath hard.

All Monoprice HDMI cables work well with normal 2D Blu-ray IME. The problem occurs when playing back a 3D Blu-ray, which requires higher bandwidth between source and display. Ergo, the "high speed" cable. Can a "standard speed" cable do the job? Maybe, but certainly not at 75 feet. Now if Dave goes with a non 3D projector, no issues.

My '79 GS750 can get me to 60 in 5.5 secs, do double that when topped out, and a reported quarter mile time of 12.83 secs, personally I keep it at 70 or less, don't have the balls for higher speeds, at least not without new tires, a new chain and new sprockets. But for $850 I have achieved satisfaction. The fact that is spits out a little oil from the cam header is just a bonus that keeps my boots in prime condition :)

Santilli

Hairy Aussie
Car was built by Spectre Racing in Belmont. By the time they got done, it was a fiberglassed bodied, cage framed, Mustang, with the suspension off their race car.

The irony was when we started the guy said I know where you can get a GT40, crashed, for 20 grand. When I got done, I often wondered if the GT 40 would have been a better way to go.

What were those bikes? Kawasaki Katanas, with huge engines?

Handruin

Administrator
I was wondering the same thing. I scrolled back to the top and then began to wonder if Greg posted in the wrong thread.

Greg, no more random car stuff in a home theater projector thread. :p Go post it in the something random thread.

LunarMist

I can't believe I'm a Fixture
Car was built by Spectre Racing in Belmont. By the time they got done, it was a fiberglassed bodied, cage framed, Mustang, with the suspension off their race car.

The irony was when we started the guy said I know where you can get a GT40, crashed, for 20 grand. When I got done, I often wondered if the GT 40 would have been a better way to go.

What were those bikes? Kawasaki Katanas, with huge engines?

WTF, was there a projector hanging off the back of some goofy car? :D

Santilli

Hairy Aussie
Just in case you guys have been hitting the pipe too much,...

"Stereodude
Hairy Aussie

I think you're delusional if you think a cheapo noisy conference room projector is a suitable replacement for the Sim2 projector. One is a 3 chip DLP which doesn't suffer from rainbows and the other is a color wheel equipped rainbow delivering special. The Sim2 does have better contrast. Is probably brighter when D65 calibrated. Certainly has better optics...

To use a car analogy you're asking the equivalent of why a you shouldn't replace a few year old Ferrari that needs some engine work with a Honda Civic because it's new and shiny. "

So SD started the car stuff.

Mercutio responded:
"Mercutio
Fixture

Aren't Ferraris maintenance nightmares and Civics reliableworkhorses?
That is perhaps a flawed analogy, 'cause I'd take a Civic every time.
__________________"

DavidD followed with this statement, that got me really going:
" #27
ddrueding
Fixture

New Civics will also outperform old Ferraris. That is the foundation of my question. I know the Sim2 was better than the cheap stuff when it was made, but how about now? "

DavidD also said this:
" #47
ddrueding
Fixture

Got to drive a 959 at laguna seca once...in the parking lot...but it was still fun. "

And, I bet that was awesome!!!.

Pradeep pointed this out:
"
My '79 GS750 can get me to 60 in 5.5 secs, do double that when topped out, and a reported quarter mile time of 12.83 secs, personally I keep it at 70 or less, don't have the balls for higher speeds, at least not without new tires, a new chain and new sprockets. But for $850 I have achieved satisfaction. The fact that is spits out a little oil from the cam header is just a bonus that keeps my boots in prime condition
Pradeep is offline Report Post Reply With Quote"

Kind of wondering:
Howell and Handurin:
If you can't read the whole thread, and see a Nexus between discussing the two, you are in need of some LSD, to expand your mind.

The Clift Notes version:

SD makes the point why replace a year old Ferrari which needs 'some' work, with a Honda Civic type projector?

You do that when you find out the cost of repairing the Ferrari, in this day of mechanics charging more then doctors, and, parts being more expensive then the car cost in the first place.

This reminded me of a friend that bought a Ferrari, and then found out the valves, and valve adjustment were going to be more then he paid for the car.

Most people aren't ready for 2500-5000 dollar valve jobs, in 2011, much less in 1977.

I did flirt with starting another thread.

That said, the motorcycle part of it is you might be able to find something that is much cheaper, more reliable, and performs better, in a limited way, like a straight line.

Analogy of comparing a Honda 1200cc pig, with an IMSA race car.

If you'll excuse a pun: now that you boys are up to speed...

Santilli

Hairy Aussie
It just struck me how ironic/funny it is that a couple people, one a moderator, are giving me a bad time for a tangential couple posts, in a forum area named,
"Off topic"

ROFL

Merc:

Compared to a Ferrari, a Civic maybe better, reliability wise. However, the Civic was always a highly tuned engine, putting out well over a horsepower per cubic inch, something the 426 Chrysler Hemi barely did in it's day.
The result of tuning a small engine to such a high level of performance is a sacrifice in reliability, or a tremendous increase in cost to keep reliability.

If you are going to use car analogies, get them right.

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
I'm not even remotely interested in cars. They're right up there with sports as far as things I don't give a crap about.

Santilli

Hairy Aussie
You did sort of get the essence of DD's horns on the D. You recommend, or come into something, and find out the bulb is more expensive then the projector, or close.

Mechanics are worse then tech guys, as far as making what would otherwise be a viable
idea absurd, by charging overpriced rates, along with over priced parts.

I might have a glass of wine or two, but please, don't even come close to the bullseye with any comments about drugs. That's SO 60's to me. I watched a dirt bag basketball player OD on Heroin in 8th grade. My best friends in Berkeley went from being very smart to dirt bag, zombies, thanks to glue and LSD. NOT a drug guy. Kind of kills the cat and any curiosity.

Santilli

Hairy Aussie
You did sort of get the essence of DD's horns on the D. You recommend, or come into something, and find out the bulb is more expensive then the projector, or close.

Mechanics are worse then tech guys, as far as making what would otherwise be a viable
idea absurd, by charging overpriced rates, along with over priced parts.

I might have a glass of wine or two, but please, don't even come close to the bullseye with any comments about drugs. That's SO 60's to me. I watched a dirt bag basketball player OD on Heroin in 8th grade. My best friends in Berkeley went from being very smart to dirt bag, zombies, thanks to glue and LSD. NOT a drug guy. Kind of kills the cat and any curiosity.

http://www.hemmings.com/mus/stories/2011/03/01/hmn_feature12.html

Kind of funny. Newman gave me a ride to Santa Cruz in that van. Someone wouldn't get out of his way in the fast lane, and he nearly bumped the guy, nearly being 2".

His comment:
"It's only sheet metal."

Handruin

Administrator
Looks like I'll get a chance to put in a JVC DLS-RS65U at the boss' house once I upgrade the Theta Digital Casablanca to HDMI and get that damned Faroudja out of there. Should be able to do the whole upgrade for like $20k. Sweet.

Sounds like a nice projector. Is the new trend to call the resolution of 3840 x 2160 pixel, 4K? It's not like the industry decided to called 1080P as 1K....

Handruin

Administrator
4x makes more sense to me than 4k.

I guess it depends how they want to twist the marketing based on a relative position. Since marketing seems to focus on the height of the panel, it looks like only double when going from 1080P to 2160P. In terms of raw pixel count going from 2,073,600 -> 8,294,400, then it's 4X as much.

I just don't see why there are so many variants of a 4K resolution. The QFHD resolution of 3840 x 2160 looks like a hack on the 4K Resolution list.

ddrueding

Fixture
It will only take 1080P input anyway. The additional pixels are just up-sampled via the internal video processor. The main advantage is on larger screens where the visibility of pixels was an issue (this one is about 30' wide)

Mercutio

Timescapes, one of the videos I was talking about last weekend, has an entire 4k production process and has sample video available in that format.

DrunkenBastard

Storage is cool
It will only take 1080P input anyway. The additional pixels are just up-sampled via the internal video processor. The main advantage is on larger screens where the visibility of pixels was an issue (this one is about 30' wide)

Is there a reason you didn't go for a Sony VPL-VW1000ES with real 4K display input/output capability? A little more at 30k retail but prob around $25k street pricing.

Looks like existing dual layer BD discs (50GB) will be sufficient for 4K once the H.265 codec is finalized, prob need a new BD player though.

ddrueding

Fixture
My InFocus X10 finally died after many years of intensive use, now I'm looking for a replacement. As we're spending my money and not my boss', the top-end JVC is out.

I have a budget of $2000-2500, would like a little more light than my current one (1200lm) and if it could be quieter that would be great. 3D capable would be icing on the cake. It is mounted on the ceiling, and only needs to support a single HDMI in. It has a 14' throw to a 92" screen.

Thoughts? Suggestions?

Mercutio

I can't say much about the projectors in your price range but the inexpensive ($1000ish) Viewsonic and Optoma 1080p projectors I've worked with most recently have been spectacularly lame even by the diminished standards of their respective price tags.

sdbardwick

Storage is cool
I've been rather happy with my Epson 8350 (image quality and brightness are very good) until recently. Bulb popped in less than a year, but Epson replaced it for free via overnight FedEx (early bulb failure known issue with this model), and free return shipping of old bulb. Turns out that there were over 2000 hours on that bulb. Customer service was excellent and appears to be US based.

However, now I am noticing burn-in issues; connected to HTPC and the desktop image ghost is becoming noticeable. Haven't called customer service or researched that issue yet. And I thought that AfterDark had become obsolete...

ddrueding

Fixture
The Epson 5010 is dead. Time to explore their warranty policy. In the meantime I put a JVC DLAX3. The contrast and colors on this thing are awesome.