Can you run dual XP processors on a MPX motherboard?

P5-133XL

Xmas '97
The motherboard specifications (both Tyan and ASUS) say single XP or multiple MP procesors.
Reviews give stats for multiple XP processors
I've read reports of not being able to run multiple XP processors.

Is it that the MPX chipset is picky about the the processors or are there subtle differences between builds or bios versions? How does one determine what combination works together.

I am building several high performance workstations and want to know if I am limited to the MP processors and their lower MHz than the XP processors.

Of course, There are always the Xeon motherboards as an option.

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
You can use 2 Athlon XP on an MPX motherboard, but you'll have to link the L5 bridge on them in order to make them work in SMP. Unlike the L1 bridge, you don't have to take special precautions like filling the hole between the two pins with glue to link the L5 bridge, it doesn't matter if you short the hole that between the pins. Beware though that Athlon XP are sometimes not as reliable as Athlon MP when used in SMP. Most of the time, it will work just fine, but the XP isn't cetified for SMP, there's probably a reason why (aside marketing).

I wouldn't go for a dual-Xeon configuration, especially considering the exorbitant price of the i860 motherboards. According to the results showed in a few articles at Ace's Hardware, the dual Athlon MP are more or less equally fast as the dual-Xeon platforms. The main difference is that a dual-Xeon will cost you 2 to 3 times as much as a dual-Athlon MP setup. If you want to put more memory than 512MB per system, the difference becomes even more ridiculous due to the unreal price of 512MB RIMM stick. RDRAM is only at price parity with DDR SDRAM for 256MB and 128MB modules.

IMO, Xeon isn't the way to go unless you have too much money to burn.

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
Ok, I pushed a little bit when I wrote 2 to 3 times. I calculated with the real prices on my list and it's 1.5 to 2 times. Still an unjustified difference.

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
Yeah, I know uncle Bill will love it. ;-)

But I consider someone upgrading his 1.8GHz Xeon with 2.2GHz Xeon as soon as they come out as someone with too much money to burn.

James

Storage is cool
Another question is, do you really need an MPX board? The MP boards are cheap and work well with XP chips. If you don't need 64bit/66MHz slots, it might be a good option.