Case for a Gigabyte G1.Assassin

ddrueding

Fixture
Product Link

XL-ATX Form Factor; 34.5cm x 26.3cm

Antec P193 is a couple inches short unless I rotate the board 90 degrees. Tempting.

The usual taste applies. Prefer black, no windows, as plain as possible. Low noise a plus, cost fairly irrelevant.

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
The HEC 89R9 is the easy choice. It's 130$ versus >230$ for the others and except for the Lian Li PC-P80 (310$) and Silverstone TJ11 ("only" 600$), it's the most bland of the bunch.

Do I need to comment the Mountain Mods?

LunarMist

I can't believe I'm a Fixture
Why is that board so bulky? I'm not seeing what is so special.

LunarMist

Oh, I thought the extras were for 8-16x RAID controllers. That's what I would use them for.

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
That Lian Li is to computer cases what the Scythe Susanoo is to CPU coolers : too big and inferior to smaller/smarter designs. 70cm tall ; that's even too high for a coffee table. It's only 2-3cm shorter than my desk. What do you tell your guests when they ask you what it is? "Oh, it's to keep my beers warm in winter"? It's almost like Lian Li's engineers looked at the Silverstone FT03 and they thought : let's make exactly the opposite (waste as much space as possible to fit in all the components). What if some major component breaks inside and the customer needs to bring the box to you. Damn would I laugh to see a fat clumsy dude try to go downstairs with that behemoth and then fit it on the back seat of its sedan. How to make something simple...complicated.

And yes, in case you ask, I'm mightily pissed this evening, but not at you. Even if you end up buying that oversized monstrosity.

ddrueding

Fixture
PC-P80 us a beast. Those 3x140mm fans in the front do an amazing job very quietly. It would also hold a fantastic radiator, considering the whole front can be opened up. The biggest downside is the thin aluminum that it's made of. Becasue of that the 18x/19x Antec line is still my choice for builds that will fit. If they had made the whole thing out of 3mm plate I don't think I would buy anything else.

time

Storage? I am Storage!
CougTek, I don't know what you're smoking, but the X2000F is 83% of the size of the P80. Without even seeing one, I know it would be easier to handle a thinner case than a fat one, regardless of height. 63 x 64cm is not at all easy to manage on a back seat. :p

BingBangBop

Storage is cool
at Newegg pricing of $299+shipping it is a really expensive case. But all Lian cases are expensive.

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
CougTek, I don't know what you're smoking, but the X2000F is 83% of the size of the P80. Without even seeing one, I know it would be easier to handle a thinner case than a fat one, regardless of height. 63 x 64cm is not at all easy to manage on a back seat. :p
Compare it to the size of the HEC 98R9 and you'll see it's ridiculous. Thicker, similar depth and ~25cm higher. I never said the PC-P80 was ok either. But at least it fits below most desks, something that isn't true for the PC-X2000F. The only thing I wrote about the PC-P80 was that it looks relatively bland, something Dave was looking for.

But hey, he bought the case so further discussion about it is futile.

time

Storage? I am Storage!
1. At 695mm, the LianLi will fit under most - but not all - desks, apparently including yours if it's 2-3cm taller. I must admit though, that I was visualizing the smaller X1000.
2. You mean HEC 98R9, not HEC 89R9.
3. I agree with you, the HEC would have been a no-brainer for me.
4. Discussion about it was futile before he bought the case - Dave always ends up doing his own thing anyway. ;)
5. I hope that whatever was mightily pissing you is no longer doing so.

ddrueding

Fixture
That HEC does look nice, but Googling for it before the purchase I didn't find anything. I may have had the name wrong (89R9)

4. Discussion about it was futile before he bought the case - Dave always ends up doing his own thing anyway. ;)

I hope that doesn't discourage you. I really do appreciate all the advice and suggestions, and I do take them into consideration, I just value some things differently I suppose.

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
2. You mean HEC 98R9, not HEC 89R9.
Yes, as I wrote correctly in my previous post. I tried to correct it the first time, but I figured the mistake about 30 seconds too late to edit my post.

5. I hope that whatever was mightily pissing you is no longer doing so.
Still is. UPS, bunch of overpaid, non-deserving shit eaters. Their lives have a lesser value than the bottom of an incontinent cow's diaper. Dung beetles would find them too filty to roll them. I'm convinced that their suit starts white and their souls turn them brown. Flies must target them to leave their eggs.

Santilli

Hairy Aussie
I don't really get the merits of a small case. I want something I can put lots of drives in, good hardware, lots of fans, big and quiet, and can get my big fingers into to work on.

David is not small, nor are his hands.

time

Storage? I am Storage!
Greg, you don't need lots of fans, you just need to ensure adequate cooling of certain components. These days, unless you're using a 1U rackmount, the graphics cards are far and away what needs the most cooling. In many cases, you simply don't need extra fans to support normal CPUs. And people are no longer prepared to put up with ludicrous noise levels, so we have fewer, bigger, slower fans.

You're applying the same thinking that prevailed back when people still used SCSI drives and the Pentium 4 was king. Modern drives run way cooler and large studies have shown no benefit from unnecessary cooling. High performance drives are now solid state and require no cooling whatsoever. You no longer see fans on motherboard chipsets (thank the gods) and capacitors are almost universally polymer. Better power supply efficiency means that most of the time, PSU fans are barely turning or stopped completely.

As for the drives, I've never understood why you would need more than 2 or 3 drives in a workstation, as opposed to a server. Outside of a server, individual drives have more than sufficient capacity for anything other than video media streaming or huge photo collections (you can fit a quarter of a million 12MB images on a 3TB drive). If they're in a server, you don't need space or cooling for a graphics card.

I have fat fingers but they don't stop me working on small computer cases!

ddrueding

Fixture
The PC-P80 is big enough that I installed a PCIe card without cracking the side, just opened up the front door and undid the thumbscrew holding the bracket in.

Of course, in order to reach the thumbscrew from the front of the case I was sunk halfway up my bicep. But it was a neat thing to try.

Santilli

Hairy Aussie
I've been monitoring my SATA drives in the server, and, after finding a couple cooking along in custom enclosures at 130 degrees, I reconnected the fans in the back of the case, That worked. Dropped them to 100 degrees or less.

I have found that the Antec hotswap cases, with no caddies, gets more air to the underside of the drives, and that is what really cools them.

The hotswap cases I used, with the aluminum heat sinks on the top and bottom, and the fans keep the drives warmer then no caddie at all.

I've taken my movie collection, rip the DVD's to harddisk. Move the drives into the HTPC, and they are playing beautifully on the 40", and PowerDVD 10.

I probably don't NEED to have a lot of drives in one machine, either. Usually three is enough.
I'm also not real sure about SSD's not needing a bit of cooling. Sticking them together with tape, even with a gap in between may not be the best idea. It was the middle one that failed in my server. That said, I had all the fans turned down thnking they didn't require cooling.

I can't help but think have we reached the point where everything you need is on the motherboard, except for video cards, and revo drives?

I can't get over 500 bucks for a motherboard. I guess you have server quality stuff on this board?

LunarMist

A slow 120 or 140mm intake fan on the drives is about all you need to keep them cool. Of course there needs to be at least one exhaust fan, but the directed flow onto the drives is more important to them than having a huge flow through the whole case. My case has four fans, all running at a quiet, low speed until the CPU ramps up. The hard drives make at least as much noise as the fans under normal conditions, but even so it is not an issue at all compared to the old cases with the horrfic 80-90 mm fans.

Motherboars never seem to have enough ports.

Santilli

Hairy Aussie
I switched all my server case fans to Stealths. Not as much case flow, but quieter. My server case in particular doesn't work well without very high speed, noisy, 80-90 mm fans. DD setup the beast, it works. I leave it alone.

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
All of a sudden, I'm in the market for an E-ATX enclosure. Not that easy to find when you're on a budget. I stumbled on that Rosewill case and noticed that it also supports XL-ATX boards. I immediately thought about SSDDrueding and his insane motherboard.