Change in EBB

mubs

Storage? I am Storage!
Why does Eric (EBB) slur so bad these days -- I hope he's ok. His latest post at SR:

Where is the inoformatuon of the dynamci disks stored? For example, if a stripped set of 2-3 harddrives is created with 2000, can the individual drives be moved to otther controllers, channels etc. Would the data be accesible in that case or if moved to a differnet system, upgrado of the OS, e.g., Win2K -> XP? I am assumoing no USEr ID password or data encriupton.
IIRC, he was quite fine before the big DB crash there.

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
Are you refering to typing - which Eric has 'e're been notably imperfect, or his conduct?

I don't see any reason to question conduct from that post.

Also, the dynamic disk thing? The volume information makes its home in the MFT instead of the boot record (it breaks fdisk), and is accessible from 2000, XP, 2003 Server, SysInternal's Rescue CD and from *nix with the right drivers in place. Most you might have to do is mount the disk or "import foreign volume".

mubs

Storage? I am Storage!
No, no, no, in no way was I referring to anything other than his typing! He's always been such a sweet, helpful person. I was concerned about his typing. We all make a typo or two, but many of his recent posts seem to be like this one. I just hope he's all right.

timwhit

Hairy Aussie
I think he types from a notebook with a crappy keyboard and doesn't care what his posts look like. Just like Eugene and Davin didn't care that his 6200 posts were lost.

mubs

Storage? I am Storage!
Please, no wisecracks. That's not why I made this post initially - to poke fun, but out of concern. IIRC, his typing skills were quite good before the SR DB crash. I'm also wonder why he doesn't spell check and or do a preview.

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
e_dawg said:
It's the laptop keyboard.
It's not always the laptop keyboard. One of the times I asked him, he answered that he simply didn't spell-checked his post. I suspect either Timwhit or NRG are right, perhaps both.

To me it's obvious he doesn't place the same pride he once did in his posts, probably because of the MBF. He often sounds a bit depressive too, or at least tend not to show too much optimistism.

EBB

What is this storage?
Maybe it is because he is getting old and gaining 30 lbs. and losing more hair follicles. And after Julie died and then the SR MFB, he just doesn;t give a **** so anymore anything. After ten years at a boring, but relativey easy job, everything is ging to heell, people are getting fired to reduce the heades count and th rest are even more abused. So he spent all his money of stupdi littel techno thingies and travle to leave the unpleasantess of United States and lives in the horrible one-bedroom rental and has lesser money saved to survive teh long run of loomings unemployemnt in 2005. Then there are all teh boring holidays and it is so hard to do the necessary workover four days. But he is teh King Procrastinator and three years behind on the printouts and the viewers could be dead by the next opportunity of June 2004. So he is working for 56 hours feeding the blasted printer with paper and the ink (one or the other ink cartridege are going out every few hours). And just for the preface he accidentally deletd 93 GB of the important files earlier the month :eek: and also deleted the backup files because they were backed up on top of hte others. But get this - teh paranoid fool was saved by the tertiary difernetial backup off the site (in case of home fires, floods or theft), but the files were two days old and also moved about and disorganized, from pervious additions. Therefore altogerher anothr couple of days were lost before the marathon began.

So there you go - if he again vanishes from SR for the weeks of months, it is no problem or concern from SF. He will most likley return when resuming to the more normal state.

B

mubs

Storage? I am Storage!
Gosh, I'm sorry to hear of the rough times you've had, Eric. I hope things will get better for you. You're a very nice person, and like me, I'm sure most of the old-timers care about you. Hang in there, will ya? And holler if there's anything I can do to help.

mubs

Storage? I am Storage!
It has been rightly pointed out to me that:

1) It might be considered rude and embarrassing to be "loudly" asked about a private aspect of one's life in the middle of a room full of people.
2) It might have been better to PM Eric instead.

I plead guilty.

Being dim-witted, I realized my stupidity after starting this thread.

I had no idea Eric visited here or I wouldn't have posted (which is why I didn't post at SR).

And my reasoning was that it would be rude to ask Eric directly; I felt asking his firends might be better.

My concern for him got the better of my judgement.

My error. I unconditionally apologoze to Eric and everybody who felt offended. I will learn from this.

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
Eric fits in well here. We seem to have a large share of members who are depressed and (WAY) overstressed. Probably even more than are willing to admit it.

Not that I'm one to be offering advice on any such topic.

Good luck Eric.