Changing the windows product key on an existing installation

ddrueding

Fixture
Client of mine got his machine from a shady dealer, and it has a pirated copy of XP on it. Updates refuse to run, and he can't download certain things from microsoft. He has a legal copy of Windows that I provided for him, but doesn't want to blow away his install (and all his apps) to do it. Is there a way to change the product key without re-installing?

sechs

Storage? I am Storage!
There are key changing utilities (I think that there may even be one from Microsoft).; but the new key must match the install media. In your case, it probably won't; then you're back to Mercutio's solution.

Clocker

Storage? I am Storage!
Can you do that if you only have a legit WinXP upgrade CD & key or do you need to have the the legit full version with corresponding legit key?

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
The full version can be used to upgrade. As far as I can tell you can upgrade from any supported version of Windows as long as the new key you put in is legit.

freeborn

Learning Storage Performance
There is actually a Microsoft Knowledge Base article for changing keys, I'll try to find it.

Free

Bozo

Storage? I am Storage!
You can also do a repair.
Boot from good CD; at the first install new/repair menu selete install new; agree to the EULA; now select to do a repair.
During the repair process you will be asked for the CD key. Use the legit one.
This repair will not change user setting or remove/change istalled programs. You will have to re-install the service packs and patches though.

Bozo :mrgrn:

Clocker

Storage? I am Storage!
Mercutio said:
The full version can be used to upgrade. As far as I can tell you can upgrade from any supported version of Windows as long as the new key you put in is legit.

What I meant was, can you do it just the upgrade with a legit upgrade CD/key on top of a pirated/corporate install? It's a lot cheaper to buy an upgrade CD rather than the full version..

Thanks,
C

time

Storage? I am Storage!
You can repair or upgrade (from XP) with the OEM version, so I'd assume you can do it with the Upgrade version.

However, you probably won't be able to use a legit key with hacked media because the latter is normally based on a corporate (volume) version. Use the correct media and all should be well.

Bozo's repair option sounds like the simplest (and safest).

The other aspect to this, is what on earth does he want from the Microsoft site that is blocked?

sechs

Storage? I am Storage!
I don't think that the in-place upgrade is quite a slick as Mercutio is making it out to be, but it's a lot slicker than nuke-and-reinstall.