Cheap unlocked processors?

ddrueding

Fixture
Read about that on Slashdot about a week ago. They are trying to compete with AMD "Black" series processors (which are also unlocked). Of course, no guarantees what you can do with them (depending on yields), and 1156 doesn't support triple-channel RAM.

timwhit

Hairy Aussie
Is it really necessary to use 5 question marks and all caps in the thread title? It really makes your posts look like SPAM.

Santilli

Hairy Aussie
I used that because I was in shock when I saw the add this morning.

My initial reaction was more obscene. That was cleaning it up;-)

However, if a moderator would like to take it down to one question mark, to keep Timwhit happy, I'd be fine with that.

Also no problem taking the ONE word, Cheap, down to regular case.

Last edited:

MaxBurn

Storage Is My Life
Do the current socket and I might make the move. Pretty nice to see though.

Handruin

Administrator
How often do you upgrade CPUs and keep the same motherboard/socket?

LunarMist

I can't believe I'm a Fixture
Why do they use a 45 nm process for new CPU models? I thought the new CPUs were based on a 32nm process.:viking:

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
Why do they use a 45 nm process for new CPU models? I thought the new CPUs were based on a 32nm process.:viking:

Maybe they're waiting to roll out 32nm because they don't have yields yet? Or maybe the refresh somehow offers enough of a performance increase that they're holding it off while they sell out 45nm stuff?

LunarMist

I can't believe I'm a Fixture
Maybe they're waiting to roll out 32nm because they don't have yields yet? Or maybe the refresh somehow offers enough of a performance increase that they're holding it off while they sell out 45nm stuff?

Is 32nm not as much of an improvement as expected?

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
Is 32nm not as much of an improvement as expected?

It'll probably lead to another decent bump in clock speeds if nothing else. More than anything else I suspect these new unlocked chips are a counter to AMD's $200 - $300 six (physical) core Phenom IIs.

time

Storage? I am Storage!
More than anything else I suspect these new unlocked chips are a counter to AMD's $200 - $300 six (physical) core Phenom IIs.

No doubt, but they're not even remotely comparable. Dual-core vs hex-core?

These CPUs look like incredibly poor value to me. Why on Earth would you buy one? The i5-750 is the same price as the cheaper one, with twice as many (true) cores.

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
It'll probably lead to another decent bump in clock speeds if nothing else.
Another decent bump in clock speed??? Processors have been operating at ~3GHz for the past 6 years. Sure, IPC has increased, but the frequency has hit a wall at ~3.5GHz. A process shrink means more cores per socket, but not higher frequencies.

Adcadet

Storage Freak
Do most users actually benefit (much) from >2 cores?

Does anybody have a good reference for comparing my old Core 2 Duo 6400 (default 2.13, actually running at 3.0-3.2 GHz) to the current breed of CPUs? My computer is now 3.5 years old and I'm debating if its time for an upgrade.

Santilli

Hairy Aussie
No doubt, but they're not even remotely comparable. Dual-core vs hex-core?

These CPUs look like incredibly poor value to me. Why on Earth would you buy one? The i5-750 is the same price as the cheaper one, with twice as many (true) cores.

I've got 12 gigs of ram, 1366. I should be able to crank an Extreme i7 near 4 ghz.
They are 1000 dollars or so. The advantage of not having to alter anything but the cpu frequency and voltage are huge for me. It's unlikely with that much ram, that I'll be able to
OC if I have to change the ram speed, etc.

The i7 listed starts pretty far up the ladder, speed wise. At 349, if it worked, compared to a i7 Extreme at a 1000 dollars it would be a fantastic value.