Cheap yet efficient power supplies.

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
I make an effort to push 80Plus certified power supplies down the throat of my customers. Right now, I'm selling the In Win IP-350EQ3-2 (a 350W model) as my basic replacement power supply and also in new low-end computer systems. I pay less than 45$ for it, which is very reasonnable in my opinion. It is "80Plus bronze" compliant. My higher-end systems get the Enermax Pro82+ of the lowest appropriate wattage.

Am I the only one trying to sell more environmentally-friendly components among SF's resellers?

ddrueding

Fixture
I'm now putting pico-PSUs in all the systems where they will fit (most of them). The rest get Antec 80+ with modular cables.

Anything with a 65W CPU, onboard video, and a single harddrive gets the Pico. They are just too easy/cheap/efficient to ignore.

Bozo

Storage? I am Storage!
Every computer I have assembled in the last year has a 80+ Antec power supply in it.

Bozo :joker:

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
I build a lot of really low end machines. I make an effort to put in a quality power supply, but in a $250 computer, high power efficiency isn't really a possibility. Probably 70% of the systems I sell have Antec Earthwatts units in them, but the other 30% just don't.

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
You should make a few hundred of them, then contact Newegg, Multiware and ZipZoomFly and try to strike a deal to supply them. People like P5-133XL would buy them.

ddrueding

Fixture
Nah, we don't have the manufacturing capacity to be competitive with such a simple product. Having skilled craftsmen using drill presses and saws to make something that can be punched with a custom die just doesn't make sense.

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
BTW, I used to sell a lot of Antec NSK4480, but not anymore. They used to cost me ~70-75$, but now I can't find them for less than 95$ and that's just too expensive compared to what I can get with an ok enclosure and the In Win power supply I mentionned in the original post. Plus the In Win is quite a bit more efficient than the Antec EA380 they put in the NSK4480. The NSK3480 that Mercutio is so fund of cost more north of 100$ and it is out for the same reason as the NSK4480.

The currency value of the canayan dollar versus the rising U$ is only part of the reason explaining the increased price of the Antec enclosures. They have started to climb in price before the devaluation of our currency.

I simply don't build 250$ computers. For people too cheap to pay 400$ for a new computer, I sell used lease-return computers. With the margins being as low as they are, I refuse to sell and support something new that is less than 400$. It simply isn't worth it.

P5-133XL

Xmas '97
You should make a few hundred of them, then contact Newegg, Multiware and ZipZoomFly and try to strike a deal to supply them. People like P5-133XL would buy them.

I think using pico PSU's are a great idea for low-end machines. However, I've never had a way to deal with the hole left by not using a convential PS. I really think the Pico company should be selling Blanking plates with fan mounting holes in them (maybe even a small mounting bracket for the card)them as an accessory: they'd sell a lot more of their PSU's.

I agree with DDrueding that is is rediculous to use a craftsman to produce small quantities of these plates. they should be inexpensively mass-produced. Unfortunately, it isn't going to happen unless the market gets much bigger and that probably requires the PSU company to get involved because they are likely the only group with the volume necessary.

ddrueding

Fixture
I actually have done a fair bit of business with them (they used to be about 15 miles away). I'll send them an e-mail and see what they have to say.

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
I enjoy the process of assembling computers, and unlike you, Coug, I'm not doing it with the idea of making a profit. I use a standard set of parts and I always have the equivalent of a couple spare systems sitting around. I really have very few problems with those low-end systems; power supplies are really the only weak point.