Coffee

CougTek

Serial computer killer
I'm addicted to coffee, but I limit myself to two cups a day on days I'm training and no more than three cups on my resting days.

Seems like a very faint addiction, but I've tried to stop two or three times and I just like coffee's taste and smell too much to stop taking my daily dose. On the positive side, I think coffee addiction is probably the least damageable addiction there is, compared to beer and cigarettes.

Fushigi

Storage Is My Life
2-3 cups a day. Sometimes 4. I haven't had any yet today.

For home we buy 8 O'Clock beans, 1/2-caff variety, for home.

At work I'll do 1-2 cups w/caff then switch to decaf. The work-supplied coffee isn't very good, though, so I buy my own decaf from Sams (Folgers) and make it. There aren't many decaf drinkers at work so it lasts.

Restaraunts (IHOP, Denny's, local family places, etc.) it just depends on what I'm in the mood for & the situation. Usually decaf, though.

Can't stand StarBucks but I like Gloria Jeans and Caribou Coffee. Considering the price, these are 'treats' and I don't buy them that often.

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
I can't stand coffee. I will drink iced quasi-coffee beverages as long as they don't taste much like coffee. I've never been in a starbucks storefront and I've pledged never to go in a Gloria Jeans again after I had the hilarious experience of being the only unserved customer in a shop, waving a $20 bill at the girl at the counter and still not getting my order taken.

I drink tea at home, but when I'm at a specialty place I usually order hot chocolate, which invariably leads to the employees having to look up how to make it (which is most of the fun in ordering it).

blakerwry

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
justblake.com
during highschool I used to drink about 2 pots a day.. but lately it's more like once or two cups a week (just got a new coffee maker for christmas). Before that it was either nothing or maybe 1 cup from quick trip a month.

Buck

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.hlmcompany.com
If not water, then Tea is what I'll be drinking. Usually Tetley, if not, then one of my loose leaf varieties such as Darjeeling. At night, usually an herb tea, something without caffeine.

Handruin

Administrator
I don't like the taste of coffee. I tend to drink hot chocolate at work when I need something with flavor. I typically drink water all day long. The only coffee I like is coffee ice cream.

The JoJo

Wannabe Storage Freak
Website
www.thejojo.com
I keep it to a max of 2 cups on working days, on holidays and weekends I usually don't drink coffee.

Can't really say I like coffee, I've just gotten used to it.
Battery energy drink, an ice cold one, is what I really like!

ddrueding

Fixture
Don't drink coffee at all, don't like it.

I do drink 8-12 cokes a day, down from my previous "24 every 24" tech support days. And switch to a Cabernet at around 5PM, then Belvedere from 10PM until 2AM. First coke in the morning at around 9AM.

Yes, I'm massively addicted to many substances, but it is far better than I've been in the past. I am able to stop "cold turkey" when on vacation, no more than 3 consecutive days, but my productivity goes out the window.

jtr1962

Storage? I am Storage!
I doubt two cups a day qualifies me as an addict. I used to drink three but then cut down to keep from feeling wired all day. I haven't had any for the last few days. I think it's more a habit than anything, although as addictions go it's probably one of the least harmful ones in moderation.

CougTek

Serial computer killer
ddrueding said:
I do drink 8-12 cokes a day,
Now that's awful for the health. Coke is partly responsible for America's obesity. It contains a lot of calories and without you noticing, you gain pounds after pounds. And a typical coke contains about half of the caffeine of a normal coffee, so what you're taking is like up to 6 coffee a day. At 7 coffees a day, several health problems, mainly due to caffeine, starts to appear...and you're dangerously close to that amount.

The health nazi preacher says :

You've been warned!

jtr1962

Storage? I am Storage!
Coke and Pepsi are disgusting. And both have a severe laxative effect on me, even with only one glass. I never saw why they are so popular. I remember one of my relatives went overseas, and she said that they don't understand why we Americans drink Coke by the gallon. Over there they only use it to clean sidewalks.

Handruin

Administrator
As Will said, Coke is different in different countries. A guy I work with is from India and he said that the taste is different where he comes from. He thinks it has something to do with the water.

jtr, much as you can't understand why people drink coke (or why it is so popular)...I can't understand why people drink coffee, and why it's so popular. I think coffee tastes disgusting. :) (Except for ice cream which is odd)

I like the taste of Coke, but mostly with certain foods. In and by itself I don't like to consume coke as I don't find it thirst quenching. Mountain dew is my evil of choice when I do decide to drink soda.

I try to limit myself to drinking soda on the weekend. I have no other reason than it isn’t good for me to drink it every day. I do make exceptions, but for the most part, I try to stay away from it when I can.

ddrueding

Fixture
Yes, Coke has lots of calories and tons of sugar. But it is also an appetite suppressant ;) And yes, it will dehydrate you (caffine and sugar both have that effect) so if you drink the volume that I do without drinking water (a bottle for every can) you will wake up with a hangover.

I'm 6'2" and 185lbs...but have been picking up a few unhealthy heart tremors lately....bah.

jtr1962

Storage? I am Storage!
Compared to most other soft drinks, Coke and Pepsi have more sugar, more calories, more caffeine, and more carbonation (which leads to a bloated feeling). Not to mention serving sizes are getting ridiculous. I'm frequently amused at the TV commercials on drugs for frequent urination. Do the doctors of these people bother to ask them if they regularly have a Big Gulp with lunch? Anyone would need to pee frequently after consuming that much liquid. I also wonder how many cases of gas pains and indigestion are attributable to too much soda consumption.

How Soft Drinks Are Harming Americans' Health

I'll admit to drinking more soda than is probably healthy for me, but it is generally lighter stuff like Sprite (actually the store brand version which has less carbonation and costs less than the real thing). Lately, I'm losing my taste for soda anyhow, along with coffee, most meats, and most processed foods of any type. I find they're leaving me less and less satisfied. Why must almost everything nowadays have excessive levels of sugar, preservatives, flavor destroying additives, and also be ridiculously mushy? Part of satisfying hunger is the chewing action-something that most processed foods lack.

GMac

Learning Storage Performance
Can't stand coffee or tea - my mother can't either, so I assume it's an inherited dislike :D I drink Diet Coke & Doc Pepper in moderation (1-2 glasses a day), but I mainly get by on fruit juice and flavoured water.

GM

Buck

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.hlmcompany.com
Don't large amounts of refined sugar also deplete your body of zinc which is needed for gastric acid (hydrochloric acid)?