Cold

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
The summer has been decidedly pleasant here, which is actually kind of disappointing to me since one set of windows in my office faces a gigantic water park that's only been open five days since the beginning of the water park season.

snowhiker

Storage Freak Apprentice
The summer has been decidedly pleasant here, which is actually kind of disappointing to me since one set of windows in my office faces a gigantic water park that's only been open five days since the beginning of the water park season.

<cough> webcam with telephoto lens <cough>

LunarMist

I can't believe I'm a Fixture
It is a hundreds in the valley this weekend. It's not like AZ though. But Germany was hot too. One train had no A/C. :mad:

LunarMist

On June 30 it was very hot in Death Valley. I know a guy that drove 3-4 hours to get there, just to hike in the 54°C/129°F temperatures. Some people are crazy.

jtr1962

Storage? I am Storage!
On June 30 it was very hot in Death Valley. I know a guy that drove 3-4 hours to get there, just to hike in the 54°C/129°F temperatures. Some people are crazy.
He probably it just for the experience of saying he was out in such high temps. I did the same last year when Sandy was in full swing just to say I was out in the middle of a hurricane. I've never rode my bike during a blizzard but that's on my bucket list. Maybe this winter if a suitable storm comes.

CougTek

Serial computer killer
At 10:30am this morning, it is -23°C outside here. It's not even Winter yet. We've had a few nights when the temperature dropped below -20°C in late November, but so late in the morning, that's a first this year. We've had snow on the ground for about a month and a half now. One month earlier than Oregon, I guess.

The planet is warming folks, the plant is warming.

LunarMist

I was in the Pennsylvanian area recently and it was quite cold there too, but not like Canada or Chicago.

Mercutio

The best part for me is when the wiper fluid in my car freezes and I get stuck behind a salt truck going to work four days in a row.

LunarMist

The best part for me is when the wiper fluid in my car freezes and I get stuck behind a salt truck going to work four days in a row.

Your wiper fluid does have enough methanol or IPA or whatever they use nowadays.

Handruin

Administrator
It's been cold here too. We have a snow storm coming through that I think the various weather services gave it a name or something stupid. It was -12C here this morning. It's up to -7.5C now.

LunarMist

Instead of moving, you could get a remote start kit for your vehicle first and see how that helps. Along with the low temp windshield fluid you should be a lot better off. ;)

Mercutio

I've seen rental condos with 1-2 car garages. What about something like that?

I like my apartment. I have lots of nice trees and a spare bedroom full of stripper, and if I don't have a garage and can't have a grill, at least I don't have to take care of a lawn or deal with an HOA, And on the day I need to leave I just have to pay a little bit of money to break my lease rather than having the boat anchor of a mortgage payment to keep me in any one place.

ddrueding

Fixture
I like my apartment. I have lots of nice trees and a spare bedroom full of stripper, and if I don't have a garage and can't have a grill, at least I don't have to take care of a lawn or deal with an HOA, And on the day I need to leave I just have to pay a little bit of money to break my lease rather than having the boat anchor of a mortgage payment to keep me in any one place.

I can appreciate all the good there. It wasn't until I started to want to do remodel stuff that the apartment became difficult.

Handruin

Administrator

That's why I said rental condo. :) That's what I did for several years. I had a three floor townhouse with a usable basement. All the benefits of the condo and someone else takes care of the yard stuff and snow removal. When something breaks, you call someone. I didn't have a garage though but I had a small deck and a grill. When you want to leave, break your lease. I can't guarantee it will be full of a stripper though.

P5-133XL

Xmas '97
I just read an article estimating when the oceans will evaporate and no more free liquid water will be able to exist on the surface of the earth merely from the sun increasing luminosity over time (solar warming as opposed to global warming).

By astronomical observation the natural evolution of stars, like out own, indicates a slow increase in light output. Supposedly a little over a billion years from now our sun will be supplying 375 W/m^2 from the current 341 W/M^2 and that will produce enough evaporation to start uncontrolled global warming (the water itself becomes a greenhouse gas).

I believe that this would be considered entirely a natural event so from the conservative viewpoint we should not attempt any remediation of any form. So all you conservatives that argue that we should not try to counter the current global warming trend because it isn't man-made can die in a billion years or so regardless. Luckily, no current conservatives are likely to still be around by then trying to prevent remediation.

Stereodude

Not really a
And how exactly would you suggest a fine liberal like yourself suggest we counteract the slow increase in the light output from the sun?

jtr1962

Storage? I am Storage!
I just read an article estimating when the oceans will evaporate and no more free liquid water will be able to exist on the surface of the earth merely from the sun increasing luminosity over time (solar warming as opposed to global warming).

By astronomical observation the natural evolution of stars, like out own, indicates a slow increase in light output. Supposedly a little over a billion years from now our sun will be supplying 375 W/m^2 from the current 341 W/M^2 and that will produce enough evaporation to start uncontrolled global warming (the water itself becomes a greenhouse gas).
I question these numbers because they don't take into account the increased solar radiation pressure which would tend to push the planets away from the sun. The question is whether or not that will happen fast enough to keep the planet from warming appreciably.

I believe that this would be considered entirely a natural event so from the conservative viewpoint we should not attempt any remediation of any form. So all you conservatives that argue that we should not try to counter the current global warming trend because it isn't man-made can die in a billion years or so regardless. Luckily, no current conservatives are likely to still be around by then trying to prevent remediation.
For what it's worth it wouldn't surprise me if some people believe solar warming is manmade. In any case, the situation is out of our control.

Nobody can predict timelines out to a billion years. I doubt any sentient species lasts that long. Assuming we do, we'll have long since left the planet for greener pastures. If we want to make our next home more permanent, we should probably choose a planet a suitable distance from red dwarf. The smallest ones have lifetimes on the order of a trillion years or more.