Companies that have burnt...

LunarMist

I can't believe I'm a Fixture
Was a CoD established? I don't understand the pric increase.

Handruin

Administrator
I agree it's a scumbag thing to do and I'm no fan of Sony either, but guess what...it's supply/demand for a made-popular-by-death item and this kind of thing happens in lots of different industries. People don't need to buy her music right now, or even ever. As much as I can see the argument to advocate piracy in this case, I'm not at all for it. People shouldn't even acknowledge the price increase by abstaining from buying the record and abstain from pirating it.

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
I refuse to believe that anyone who can work a web browser can't figure out ways to listen to this person's music without paying for it. Even my mom knows she can wander over to Youtube and find somebody's video playlist if she really wants to.

Mercutio

It's certainly silly to equate copying bits in any form with theft, if that's the direction you're taking. The penalties for many forms of felonious assault are less severe than what RIAA and the MPAA have forced through our legal system for dealing with unauthorized copying.

Handruin

Administrator
How much money is spent in a year replacing/fixing the things you destroy? I would love to see what happens to your vehicle if they screw up a car payment. Lol

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
There's no longer any interior trim on the driver-side door of my car. The passenger side is a bit better, but has had its fair share of punishment, mainly during the two times I bent the driver-side door so badly that I had to maintain it close with straps and I had to enter my car by the passerger side (it's been more or less fixed since then). My car's stereo was stuck some three or four inches deeper than it should up to last week, when I had to remove it completely since a burned plastic smell started to come out of it. I drove three winters without glass-cleaner because I smashed the lower front side of my car and the glass cleaner container was right behind it. I finally replaced it last Fall. I also once smashed my rear-view mirror and my windshield on two separate incidents. I no longer have a cruise-control stick (broke by itself, really), but I once broke (and replaced) the wipers stick. The central arm rest is "removable" in my car, but it originally wasn't. There's not a single body part that hasn't my fist imprinted on it somewhere. I tell people it's to make my car more aerodynamic, like a golf ball.

My neighboors say my car looks like it spent 8 years in Irak.

I'm sure I told most of these facts previously over the years. Don't ask me to post pictures. I no longer have a phone with a camera on it.

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
My car has been paid completely for several years. I own it and the bank cannot take it from me. So no worries about that. In fact, in the state it is, I doubt they'd wish to do so anyway. I'm pretty sure I lock my doors for nothing too.

Handruin

Administrator
I thought you had purchased a newer car based on earlier discussions of you having your car die. That's why I mentioned car payment. Sounds like your car has been through a personal war.

Have you thought about talking to someone regarding the amount of anger you deal with. That stress can't be good for your body even if you are in good shape. Extra levels of aggression will cause all sorts of extra chemicals/hormones/adrenaline to be produced which are hard on you.

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
Let me explain the philosophy behind my behavior. I've seen plenty of people dying of cancer and it always was ugly. The common point between all of them was that they kept things inside : anger, grief, fear, etc. Me, I don't keep it inside. I don't have an anger management problem ; I don't manage anger, I exteriorise it. I'll probably die of cancer anyway, but I'm attempting another approach to avoid it.

As for why I'm pissed by so many things, well, I don't believe in life after death and the superior being judging us and everyone given what they ultimately deserve and crap... I believe you live and after you reach 25, your body's and your mind's capabilities diminish gradually up to the point that you finally die and that's it. So fuckers who steal and lie to better themselves on the back of others and are most often never caught infuriate me beyond imagination. Every time I meet one, hear about one, think about one, which is pretty much all the time, I'm pissed. Companies who treat their customers like shit infuriate me. Rich bastards not paying their fair share (and my bills) infuriate me. Lawyers and every damn bastards working in the justice department (what an oxymoron : lawyer and justice) infuriate me. Politicians infuriate me. People driving like asses or without paying attention to others because they either don't care or because their freaking texto messages are SO important to read or write while they are driving infuriate me. Stupid old bitches counting their change and taking their time at the grocery counter despite the a line of people in a hurry behind them infuriate me. I could go on and on and on. You could fill me with Prozac and morphine up to the point I overdose and the second before I'd die, I would still be pissed at the world to no end.

Bozo

Storage? I am Storage!
True, stress can cause all sorts of physical problems. But not being able to manage the small problems can be just as bad.
My lack of anger management resulted in a quadruple heart bypass, not that that was the only cause.

My epitaph will read:

Here's to me in my drunken modes,
when I gamble, sin and drink.
Here's to me in my somber modes,
when i ramble, sit and think.
But when my drinking days are over,
and from this world I pass
I hope they bury me upside down,
so the world can kiss my ass!

:-D

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
Now I know why Virgin Mobile has been so bad in recent years...
On May 7, 2009, Bell Mobility acquired the 50% of Virgin Mobile Canada that it previously did not own for $142 million and entered into a long-term agreement to use the Virgin brand.
I already have quite an history with Bell. Basicly, anything that touches Bell I deal with ends up in a conflict. That company is made of lying incompetent bastards. I'm so glad to have found this because Virgin Mobile has no store itself here, but Bell does and I'm going to put quite a show there tomorrow.

Speaking of incompetence, they called me for the second time for the same reason this evening. Another time from some half-ass with a foreign accent. Same as Bell does.

BTW, do you know if removing someone's pants and litterally inserting him a cellular phone entirely in the ass is considered a minor or a major assault?

LunarMist

I suspect that sodomy with a foreign object is a felony. :monkey:

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
Nah, the phone was fine before I smashed it. It's the company that sold it to me and charging me each month for the calls I made with it that is shitty.

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
I've completed the transfert to another company for my cellular phone. My new phone will be just that : a plain phone. Samsung C414v. Can't be more simple than that.

It been a busy day and I haven't had the time to go to a Bell Mobility store to make my monumental PHUCK YOU ALL visit. Maybe Monday. I'm so glad Bell won't see any other dime from me.

Santilli

Hairy Aussie
I know how you feel. I bought my current phone for certain features:
Wifi Calling, in particular, which is supposed to be free with TMobile. Well, it isn't, unless you ask for the feature. What Bulls...

I'm kind of happy with the setup I've got, other then not being able to root and actually control my own phone.

By the way, I think I stiffed AT&T for about the same amount, as I did Verizon, trying to pull similar sh...

Check that. This last time was the first time I got decent service from AT&T and paid them off when I went with astound. They did charge me 200 bucks for a modem that I threw away since it wasn't worth selling on ebay.

Mercutio

As I said in another thread here, "My crusade will only be ended when everyone who has ever owned stock in or worked for Western Digital issues a collective apology in the form of seppuku."

Yes, I really do believe that after a certain point I'm allowed to take a product's ongoing ability to fail in astonishing new ways personally, and WD long exceeded that point. Fire is certainly new and I suppose that I would be excited to see a WD drive in that state, if only because I know it has gone to its reward in the Nirvana of irretrievable data.

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
No early contract leaving fee?
I don't think I'll have and even if I do, my new phone provider gives me 120$ for cancelling fees with the old company.

And Merc, Seagate's way worse than Western Digital. The fail ratio with their drives is higher and their RMA system isn't as good. The simple fact that they've cut their warranty to a single year should tell us all what kind of ass holes they are. Their consumer drives have sucked since at least the U6 era and when was that, ten years ago? You just haven't noticed because you kept buying Samsung drives, but Seagate's drives are truly horrible.

Mercutio

You just haven't noticed because you kept buying Samsung drives, but Seagate's drives are truly horrible.

Most but not all of my classroom computers use Seagate drives because at the time I bought the systems I could get a limited but functional copy of Acronis TrueImage to use with the machines.

By-and-large, those drives have been fine. Over the years since I've run in to jaw-dropping RMA rates some Seagate models while other have had excellent in-warranty lives for me, such as the 1.5TB 7200rpm Barracuda.

Basically I've found Seagate to be a crapshoot where I really need to pay attention to model numbers and revisions if I'm going to buy at all. I see Seagate as the drive of last resort if I can't get a Samsung or a Hitachi.

I'm not sure what I'll do when I'm down to the choice of nothing but Seagate and WD branded drives.

Mercutio

Having just spent the best part of an hour trying to tell someone that they must have accidentally turned their 802.11 off on their laptop and then spent most of that time looking for the correct procedure for turning it back on, I now believe that every laptop should have a STANDARD key or set of keys for controlling that.

"It says there should be a little button."
"I don't see a button there."
"Is there a switch on the side?"
(90 seconds of silence later) "No?"
"How about the front?"
(another 90 seconds) "No?"
"The manual I have says there should be a switch on the front. OK. Whatever. How about the Function keys?"
"Wha?"
"The F-keys along the top of the keyboard?"
"I don't have F-keys."
"OK I see that they are labeled with symbols on your notebook. It looks like if you hold down the FN key in the lower left corner and hit the fourth one from the right that might turn wireless on. It should have a picture of a little antenna with two half-circles around either side..."
"I don't have that!?!"
(25 minutes of arguing later)
"Oh! I did have a switch! On the front of the laptop! Why didn't you just tell me that in the first place?"

Inconsistent 802.11 switches make me want to murder things.

MaxBurn

Storage Is My Life
Even on a model line like my work dell latitudes they aren't in the same place year to year or model to model.

LunarMist

Even on a model line like my work dell latitudes they aren't in the same place year to year or model to model.

On my work Dell it is on the side and sometimes slides when inserted/removed from a slip case. But seriously, people should try both positions before calling tech support. Maybe you should consider adding a sticker on the top with a list of simple things to check before calling for support.

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
I have my new phone and my account with my new phone company has just been activated. I'm done being financially raped by Bell. My live just got better.