Computer Speakers

Handruin

Administrator
Anyone have any experience with Swan speakers, specifically something like the Swan M50W? I was considering them and feeding the audio to them with something like a Behringer UCA202 USB external audio interface to get cleaner sound from my desktop.

Stereodude

Not really a
I've heard some of their large floor standing speakers. I haven't heard their PC speakers, but they would be high on my list if I was shopping for a set.

Handruin

Administrator
Thanks for the feedback. What are your thoughts on something like the Behringer for better audio playback? From what I read, for the price it does a good job, some argue better than multiple hundred dollar sound cards.

Stereodude

Not really a
I don't know anything about the Behringer unit. Getting the D/A conversion out of the electrically noisy PC isn't a bad idea though.

Santilli

Hairy Aussie
As an alternative, I have LOTS of Klipsch speakers:

http://www.klipsch.com/na-en/products/promedia-2-1-overview/
http://www.klipsch.com/na-en/products/heresy-iii-overview/

The sub went out on the klipsch 5 speaker system I had, and, I bought a new sub speaker for 25 bucks, shipped, and installed it, and it's good as new. I blew it out, with heavy base.

Something I can't do with this:
http://www.klipsch.com/na-en/products/synergy-sub-12-overview/

I'd like to know how they compare to Swans.

Klipsch have a rep as rock and roll, and movie theatre speakers, since they are used in something like 95% of the movie houses in the United States, last time I checked...which was ages ago...

Handruin

Administrator
I've never been a big fan of the Klipsch sound. Also, the couple items you listed are way beyond what I want to spend for a PC sound system. :) Spending $500-$700 for a sub for a PC is out of the range I'm willing to spend. I'd spend that much for my main home theater, but with that budget I'd be looking at a lot of other sub woofer brands.

I was looking to spend more like $150-$300 which is where the Swans fit in. For this setup I'm looking for mainly music and gaming than compared to movie listening.

Bozo

Storage? I am Storage!
I bought a Creative set for my PC. Two desktops and a subwolfer for ~$30.00 at Wallymart.

I have Klipsch for my home system.

BingBangBop

Storage is cool
I'm an outright believer in headphones for computers. If speakers are necessary, then route the sound and video through a home-theater and use those speakers with its screen.

ddrueding

Fixture
I'm an outright believer in headphones for computers. If speakers are necessary, then route the sound and video through a home-theater and use those speakers with its screen.

Interestingly, my setup is more complex than that. Video and audio go from the PC into a 4x4 HDMI matrix switch. My headphones connect to my monitor, which decodes the HDMI and has a tiny amp. It can't be the best quality, but it isn't bad. Other sources for the video are the receiver for the home theater, or for the master bedroom.

Santilli

Hairy Aussie
I'm using the Klipsch Pro media 2.1 4 speakers and a subwoofer for the computer in my room. Fine for anything in a smaller room, and doesn't shake the walls.
http://www.amazon.com/Klipsch-ProMe...s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1302635694&sr=1-121

199.00 is a good price. Klipsch have to be careful with pricing. A lot of their stuff
is absurd, ear bud head phones I've had really bad luck.

The Hereseys, I actually have the first ones, plus the sub, two side speakers, and a center are all Klipsch. They are hooked up through a Yamaha RX-995.

I'm using the HTPC with an Explosion 7.1, thanks to DavidD, and that through cable to the Yamaha amp.

Playing Quake 4 over that sound system is VERY cool. It's pretty incredible to play movies over it as well.

For the late night stuff, I usse Sennheiser HD 595.

http://www.amazon.com/Sennheiser-HD...1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1302635357&sr=1-1

Handruin: Klipsch are usually for people playing music, movies, and can play the stuff LOUD.

In the old days we used to choose either Bose, JBL, or Klipsch.

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
Klipsch speakers sound boom-y and awful, pretty much the opposite of how I want speakers to sound. Speakers need to be at least capable of subtlety.

Most of the time I'd rather set up a home theater system to handle sound anyplace where I actually care what I might listen to. I like having a more flexible speaker configuration than is typical for computer-type speakers to have. I understand that isn't always a good answer and I do think your USB D/A converter is a good idea.

My go-to for decent but not outrageous speakers has been Logitech for a really long time. I understand that you're looking beyond that price point, but I've always thought that Logitech stuff is a good buy between $75 and $125 or so.

Santilli

Hairy Aussie
The beauty of Klipsch has always been they can give excellent sound with low power from the amp. In the old days of 30-35 watt a channel amps, that was a big deal.
Today, with 100-125 a channel, cheap, it's less so. That said, when I went to the Yamaha, I had a huge increase in sound quality from the old 30W a channel Kenwood amp I was using.

Mercutio has a point. I had some Altec Lansing stuff for the mac that was really nice quality, but, lacked drivers for windows.

Santilli

Hairy Aussie
Altec Lansing used software to enable sound, and, yes, they connected by USB and a Jack.
They worked without the driver, but, where not fully functional.

LunarMist

I can't believe I'm a Fixture
That looks like a nice small setup. :) Too bad it does not have an IR remote.

Handruin

Administrator
I bought a Creative set for my PC. Two desktops and a subwolfer for ~$30.00 at Wallymart.

I have Klipsch for my home system.

I basically have that now with an older setup of Cambridge Soundworks 2.1 that I've been using for at least 8 years now. I also don't care much for wall mart, so I don't buy from them. :)

Handruin

Administrator

Interestingly, my setup is more complex than that. Video and audio go from the PC into a 4x4 HDMI matrix switch. My headphones connect to my monitor, which decodes the HDMI and has a tiny amp. It can't be the best quality, but it isn't bad. Other sources for the video are the receiver for the home theater, or for the master bedroom.

I use a pair of Sennheiser RS 160 headphones in my office.

In the living room I have a HTPC connected to a Denon AVR-1907 via TOSLINK. The receiver is connected to a pair of NHT 2.5i and a Boston Acoustics CRC center channel. I don't have rear speakers.

Just got a pair of Bose QC15s to use with my uFlyMike when I'm flying. They are actually a decent set of headphones as well.

I understand and appreciate the usage of headphones and I use my set of Grado 60s at work, but at home I don't care to use headphones. When I use them all day at work, I find my ears are sore in the spots where the arms of my glasses sit.

I already have the audio going to a dedicated music/home theater but it's in my living room and not in my office. I'm using a Marantz AV7005 and I'm streaming FLAC files to it from my desktop using Mezzmo. I am looking for a little more fidelity in my office for the times when I'm in here.

Handruin

Administrator
I'm using the Klipsch Pro media 2.1 4 speakers and a subwoofer for the computer in my room. Fine for anything in a smaller room, and doesn't shake the walls.
http://www.amazon.com/Klipsch-ProMe...s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1302635694&sr=1-121

199.00 is a good price. Klipsch have to be careful with pricing. A lot of their stuff
is absurd, ear bud head phones I've had really bad luck.

The Hereseys, I actually have the first ones, plus the sub, two side speakers, and a center are all Klipsch. They are hooked up through a Yamaha RX-995.

I'm using the HTPC with an Explosion 7.1, thanks to DavidD, and that through cable to the Yamaha amp.

Playing Quake 4 over that sound system is VERY cool. It's pretty incredible to play movies over it as well.

For the late night stuff, I usse Sennheiser HD 595.

http://www.amazon.com/Sennheiser-HD...1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1302635357&sr=1-1

Handruin: Klipsch are usually for people playing music, movies, and can play the stuff LOUD.

In the old days we used to choose either Bose, JBL, or Klipsch.

Klipsch speakers sound boom-y and awful, pretty much the opposite of how I want speakers to sound. Speakers need to be at least capable of subtlety.

Most of the time I'd rather set up a home theater system to handle sound anyplace where I actually care what I might listen to. I like having a more flexible speaker configuration than is typical for computer-type speakers to have. I understand that isn't always a good answer and I do think your USB D/A converter is a good idea.

My go-to for decent but not outrageous speakers has been Logitech for a really long time. I understand that you're looking beyond that price point, but I've always thought that Logitech stuff is a good buy between $75 and $125 or so.

The beauty of Klipsch has always been they can give excellent sound with low power from the amp. In the old days of 30-35 watt a channel amps, that was a big deal.
Today, with 100-125 a channel, cheap, it's less so. That said, when I went to the Yamaha, I had a huge increase in sound quality from the old 30W a channel Kenwood amp I was using.

Mercutio has a point. I had some Altec Lansing stuff for the mac that was really nice quality, but, lacked drivers for windows.

Thanks Santilli for the suggestions, but I'm still not keen on Klipsch. Their speakers haven't really fit my personal taste even if they can be a good bargain. Bose really doesn't do it for me either. For the money there seems to be better options that I enjoy. I also don't need these to be loud, I want them to be un-fatiguing and even slightly warm/neutral is preferable.

Mercutio, I completely agree; I'm sold on having a dedicated listening spot and I do have one. It's very enjoyable and it's something new to me that I've not done before. You don't have to sell me on the idea, I'm already sold. :) I'm just looking for something a bit better sounding than what I have now and also without a huge amount of separates/components to make it work in my office. I'll dig up the other threads where you posted about the Logitech speakers. I remember you giving them high praise for the cost. I'll have to see if a local store carries them to possibly give them a test drive. The cost of this doesn't have to be $300, I just wanted something decent.

Santilli, I've read similar things about the Klipsche being a higher efficiency speaker likely due to the horns, but that type of driver for the highs doesn't cut it for my tastes even if the can be ultra-efficient.

Handruin

Administrator
Too bad they aren't computer speakers, because the Paradigm Atom Monitor are one of, if not the best value at the price you're willing to pay.

That's ok that they aren't computer speakers. Perhaps I should have titled this thread differently such that it conveys having an audio setup for computer usage rather than specific computer speakers.

I do appreciate the suggestion. I think my local hifi place carries Paradigm and I can go have a listen. The drawback is that I would need some kind of amp/receiver to drive them which requires more space and cost. That's one thing I enjoyed about the Swan setup is that it comes with those components built in. These paradigms might be the next step up in crossing over to an even better setup, but then I would make the stronger argument to just go into my living room and listen which has a much better setup than these paradigms. I'd also want to add a sub to those for a better lower extension which would also add to the price tag. I do see those Atom monitors for $179 but I have no idea if the place is reputable.

Santilli

Hairy Aussie
Klipsch makes a LOT of different speakers, some better then others. I listened to the subs, and the 12" was my favorite, value sound wise, even over the 14 and bigger.

The Hereseys are pretty incredible speakers, and, with a powerful amp, they fill in and give a much broader range, then with a small amp.
Even the book shelf speakers are very good quality, and, they are a bit less boomy then the Hereseys, by that meaning they don't have nearly the bass reproduction, or range.

The Klipsch 5.1 setup is about as good as any computer speaker setup I've heard.

I'd give a listen at a shop if you can.

Computer speakers seem, at least from my observations, to be pretty pricey.

I keep seeing HTPC amps, for REALLY cheap. Like 300 bucks for a 7 channel 110 per channel Yamaha amp.

I've also seen a bunch of HT audio setups, for cheap, or huge discounts, newegg, costco,
etc.

Sold out, but costco had this setup for 249 dollars, about the cost of the amp:

http://www.live.sonyus.webcollage.n...=&MarkupType=document&PresentationFormat=html

It said it was wireless, it is not, but, great reviews on sound.

Point being, if you save up the bucks, and wait, this is an area that can give you way more for the money then other areas. Bargains can be REALLY huge on this stuff.

Handruin

Administrator
Klipsch makes a LOT of different speakers, some better then others. I listened to the subs, and the 12" was my favorite, value sound wise, even over the 14 and bigger.

The Hereseys are pretty incredible speakers, and, with a powerful amp, they fill in and give a much broader range, then with a small amp.
Even the book shelf speakers are very good quality, and, they are a bit less boomy then the Hereseys, by that meaning they don't have nearly the bass reproduction, or range.

The Klipsch 5.1 setup is about as good as any computer speaker setup I've heard.

I'd give a listen at a shop if you can.

Computer speakers seem, at least from my observations, to be pretty pricey.

I keep seeing HTPC amps, for REALLY cheap. Like 300 bucks for a 7 channel 110 per channel Yamaha amp.

I've also seen a bunch of HT audio setups, for cheap, or huge discounts, newegg, costco,
etc.

Sold out, but costco had this setup for 249 dollars, about the cost of the amp:

http://www.live.sonyus.webcollage.n...=&MarkupType=document&PresentationFormat=html

It said it was wireless, it is not, but, great reviews on sound.

Point being, if you save up the bucks, and wait, this is an area that can give you way more for the money then other areas. Bargains can be REALLY huge on this stuff.

There is a reason they're really cheap. A 7 Channel @ 110W are almost always measured with less than 7 channels driven (likely 2 channels) which is why they cost a lot less. There's no way a 770W amp can cost $300 new and weigh 30Lbs and not be clipping your music. If so, please point me to it.

Anyway that's besides the point. I'm not looking for a full home theater to connect to my PC, this is a basic 2 channel with a sub that I'm looking for mainly music listening and it will also be used with gaming. The bucks have already been spent on the true music listening setup, this is just a complementary piece.