Coolest running SATA Hard Drives 250GB-320GB

Clocker

Storage? I am Storage!
Am I right in my expectation that the latest Samsung drives are the coolest running (and quietest)?

I'm looking to get some new drives in the 250GB-320GB range. Are the Sammys the best choice? Am I missing anything with respect to larger drives that might run even cooler?

Clocker

Storage? I am Storage!
I should have stated I'm more concerned about temperature. I'll check out their site though.

Thanks.

ddrueding

Fixture
The coolest running 250GB drive is any of the 2.5" drives; any of them will be cooler/quieter than any of the 3.5" drives.

Clocker

Storage? I am Storage!
The coolest running 250GB drive is any of the 2.5" drives; any of them will be cooler/quieter than any of the 3.5" drives.

Interesting thought. Don't 2.5" drives lack in the area of performance?

ddrueding

Fixture
I use double-sided poster tape and stick them to the chassis ;)

They are slower, but for office tasks and with 2GB+ of RAM, it isn't that noticeable.

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
Why an English-speaking guy writes "an SATA" and "an SAS"?

The Savvio are slow for desktop applications, considering their price. I don't remember the SR review, the seeks have to be audible due to the speed of their actuators. I don't think they are the best choice for a very quiet box.

ddrueding

Fixture
When read out loud (or, at least, in my head) it sounds better as an "an" instead of an "a". Grammatical correctness at the expense of smooth reading isn't worth it IMHO.

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
I don't speak English, but my understanding of the way it should be pronounced makes "an SATA" sounds weird. My brain must have AN accent.

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
ddrueding must be used to thinking by the acronym "S" being pronounced "ess", "an, would be right. If you pronounce SATA as "SAT@" (the @ is a schwa, the gutteral "uh" sound), then "a" would be correct.

Isn't English fun?

sechs

Storage? I am Storage!
Why not say SAS? It's fun. Like when Apple tried to make SCSI come out "sexxy."

Not like serial ATA.

ddrueding

Fixture
I've found saying non-words to cause non-geeks eyes to glaze over. If I'm talking to a CFO and spell out S-A-S, he knows he shouldn't know that word, and that it's probably expensive.