Coronavirus

Handruin

Administrator
We've had plenty of zombie movies over the years to prepare ourselves for this.

Handruin

Administrator
My work just announced minutes ago a mandatory work from home starting tomorrow until March 31st.

snowhiker

Storage Freak Apprentice
NAB 2020 delayed. (National Association of Broadcasters)

From the linked page...

"Dear NAB Show community,

As you know, we have been carefully monitoring coronavirus developments both domestically and globally over the past few weeks.

In the interest of addressing the health and safety concerns of our stakeholders and in consultation with partners throughout the media and entertainment industry, we have decided not to move forward with NAB Show in April. We are currently considering a number of potential alternatives to create the best possible experience for our community."

Handruin

Administrator
Except that this is a respiratory disease which will make cardio more challenging. Well done in your adaptation COVID-19.

DrunkenBastard

Storage is cool

DrunkenBastard

Storage is cool
From CNN:

"President Trump announced tonight that all travel from Europe to the United States will be suspended for the next 30 days, except for the UK.

Trump made the decision in order to "keep new cases from entering our shores." He said the new rule will go into effect beginning Friday at midnight."

Stereodude

Not really a
So much for that theory after testing positive...
At a press conference Monday, Gobert attempted to make a point about overreaction and fear by touching everything in sight before he left. He leaned over and touched all of the microphones and recorders.

snowhiker

Storage Freak Apprentice
E3 2020 cancelled.

Everything is being cancelled. It's was scheduled three months from now (June 9-11) in L.A. Are all these conferences going to be un-cancelled if things calm down relatively soon?

Handruin

Administrator
I highly doubt we will see a vaccine for this any time soon. Best we can hope for are things stabilizing a bit and the infection rate levels out and/or decreases in the next 3-5 months.

Stereodude

Not really a
I highly doubt we will see a vaccine for this any time soon. Best we can hope for are things stabilizing a bit and the infection rate levels out and/or decreases in the next 3-5 months.
They have a vaccine for it already, but I don't want to be the guinea pig for it. The reason why vaccines take a long time is because it takes a long time to make sure they're actually safe and work as expected.

snowhiker

Storage Freak Apprentice
I wonder if all the corruption associated with the IOC will prevent the 2020 Olympics from being cancelled. Gotta keep the payoffs rolling in.

Stereodude

Not really a
Was there an announcement today about there being one or is it still hypothetical? Last I read and heard there is still no vaccine available and won't be for quite some time. That and for all the reasons you mentioned regarding trials/approvals, etc.

Edit: there are candidates in development...that doesn't mean to me we have a vaccine.
Well, I didn't mean it was ready to be used on people. But technically several companies/organizations already have vaccines (candidate vaccines). Now they have to begin proving that they work as intended and are safe.

Handruin

Administrator
I think we're basically agreeing. I wasn't considering it to be an actual vaccine until it's out and approved, meaning trails, etc have been passed, etc.

Some of those articles are concerning given their approaches. The second article suggests things are being rushed to get through trials. I would guess there is a huge chunk of cash involved to be the first to produce a vaccine and have it manufactured and distributed.

That isn’t how vaccine testing normally happens. Regulators require that a manufacturer show a product is safe before it goes into people, and while it isn’t enshrined in law, researchers almost always check that a new concoction is effective in lab animals before putting human volunteers at potential risk.

Makes me think of the movie I Am Legend...even though that vaccine was for cancer, not something like COVID.

jtr1962

Storage? I am Storage!
Makes me think of the movie I Am Legend...even though that vaccine was for cancer, not something like COVID.
So the vaccine will turn people into zombies instead of the disease? Interesting. Now I'll be lying awake at night worried my mother will come in and start eating me. 😱

Handruin

Administrator
Has anyone seen/found a source of the global data for COVID-19 that includes ages of the people that are sick/dead/recovered?

I have found this repo from the JHU CSSE but it doesn't contain the age breakdown:

CNN has a bit that says 80 y/o is the average age of death from coronavirus.

I'm quoting the article and screen capture in case it gets edited or removed...
The average age of death from coronavirus is 80, US surgeon general says
From CNN's Betsy Klein

US Surgeon General Jerome Adams has discussed specific data showing who is at risk of novel coronavirus.
“People over the age of 60 are much more likely to develop complications from the coronavirus and to be hospitalized,” said Adams, adding that the average age of death from coronavirus is 80.
Children and young adults are more likely to die from the flu than coronavirus, Adams said at Monday's White House press briefing. He added that people should “be reassured by that.”
However, he noted, even though young people aren’t at significant risk of dying from coronavirus, they could potentially spread it to people in communities and people with chronic diseases, reiterating basic precautions to prevent community spread, such as covering coughs.

cnn avg age 80yo.jpg

Handruin

Administrator
So the vaccine will turn people into zombies instead of the disease? Interesting. Now I'll be lying awake at night worried my mother will come in and start eating me. 😱
I don't really think this will happen; I meant it as a joke based on the rushed trials.

jtr1962

Storage? I am Storage!
Has anyone seen/found a source of the global data for COVID-19 that includes ages of the people that are sick/dead/recovered?
I found this.

AGE​
DEATH RATE
confirmed cases
DEATH RATE
all cases
80+ years old
21.9%
14.8%
70-79 years old
8.0%
60-69 years old
3.6%
50-59 years old
1.3%
40-49 years old
0.4%
30-39 years old
0.2%
20-29 years old
0.2%
10-19 years old
0.2%
0-9 years old
no fatalities

Basically, it sounds like if you're under 50, this isn't all that bad. 50 to 59 has a somewhat higher risk, but that might be only for those who already have compromised health, which is more likely as you get older. 60+ is where things get really bad.

Not to sound insensitive, but if we can't control the spread of this it might buy Social Security a few more years as people who otherwise would have collected 5 or 10 more years get sick and die. Of course, that's a lousy way out of the problem, but every cloud has its silver lining.

The other silver lining from this is less problematic. The big story is telecommuting is way up, and once bosses find they don't need to watch over their employees, it might persist after this is over. That should mean less crowded rush hours and cleaner air. The other part is air travel, especially international air travel, has dropped radically. Again, when people, and especially businesses, realize they can function just fine without these trips we might see a permanent shift to teleconferencing and the like. Less pollution (both air and noise), and better overall for everyone.

jtr1962

Storage? I am Storage!
I don't really think this will happen; I meant it as a joke based on the rushed trials.
I know that but you have to diffuse things like this with a little humor. I'm pretty sure a disease which really turns people into zombies is medically impossible but such a thing can serve as an imaginary worst-case scenario.

Stereodude

Not really a
Trump bans all air travel from Europe including cargo for 30 days (excluding the UK).

And, they're already walking back parts of it. Cargo is excluded from the ban. How hard is it to announce stuff correctly the first time? 🤔

Apparently real hard...

Handruin

Administrator
I was reading some threads of people getting screwed over on flights due to misinformation regarding the suspended travel announcement. Seems ill-prepared at best. Not saying the idea isn't good, just the organization and delivery.

jtr1962

Storage? I am Storage!
Cargo is excluded from the ban. How hard is it to announce stuff correctly the first time? 🤔
As it should be. This virus has a very low survival time outside of living things. With a few precautions, no reason worldwide cargo flights can't continue for the duration of this.

Stereodude

Not really a
I was reading some threads of people getting screwed over on flights due to misinformation regarding the suspended travel announcement. Seems ill-prepared at best. Not saying the idea isn't good, just the organization and delivery.
The flight ban on people I can understand being less clear. They announced it first then rolled out the details. Otherwise it'd leak ahead of the speech and there'd be a mess the other way. I don't think it's realistic to expect the president to get into the weeds explaining that US citizens and residents will be able to fly back to the US from Europe into one of only 14 airports where they will be checked (presumably tested for it) and then they have to self quarantine for 14 days etc. in the middle of a pretty short speech covering a lot of ground.

The mix-up on cargo is a stupid unforced error.

Stereodude

Not really a
As it should be. This virus has a very low survival time outside of living things. With a few precautions, no reason worldwide cargo flights can't continue for the duration of this.
Supposedly several days, perhaps up to a week based on some reports.

I ordered some blu-rays from Amazon UK and Zavvi earlier this week as well as some used blu-rays on eBay from domestic sellers. I'm thinking to let them sit for several days before opening them after they're delivered out of an abundance of caution.

jtr1962

Storage? I am Storage!
So that means stuff coming by ship from China is a locked shipping container should be OK. Most international air shipments take over a week overall, so we should be OK there as well, provided nobody opens the packages en route (and we disinfect the packages themselves).

jtr1962

Storage? I am Storage!

I ordered some blu-rays from Amazon UK and Zavvi earlier this week as well as some used blu-rays on eBay from domestic sellers. I'm thinking to let them sit for several days before opening them after they're delivered out of an abundance of caution.
Spray the box with disinfectant before you even touch it, then let it sit, perhaps in your garage, for a while.

Stereodude

Not really a
So that means stuff coming by ship from China is a locked shipping container should be OK. Most international air shipments take over a week overall, so we should be OK there as well, provided nobody opens the packages en route (and we disinfect the packages themselves).
It all depends how it's shipped. I've had air shipments arrive much faster than that. I ordered a Sony MP3 player late last fall from a seller in Hong Kong and I had it on my doorstep 2 days later (DHL). Granted the typical international shipping on low cost items is much slower, but FedEx / DHL stuff comes in only a few days. At work stuff from Europe routinely arrives in about 2 days via FedEx.