Corrupted network configuration by ZoneAlarm on WinXP

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
One customer has a machine I try to put in network with another without having Internet access (just sharing a printer). The problematic system had ZoneAlarm firewall installed on it. While configuring the network, issues occured so one of my first move was to remove ZoneAlarm as it is a known network trouble maker. Doing so hasn't fixed anything though. So here what happens :

- Both computers are linked to each other with a router via cables. I originally tried with a switch, but that's not the problem.
- The network name is the same on both computers.
- For the moment, they have IP adresses obtained from the router's DHCP. I originally set up static addresses. That's not the trouble.
- Of course, the subnet is 255.255.255.0 and the gateway is the address of the router.
- I used Windows XP's network wizard to create the sharing.
- The computer which never had ZoneAlarm sees itself on the network, but not the other.
- The f**ked-up computer doesn't see itself or the other computer on the network.

I tried uninstalling the network card and reboot/re-install it, to no avail. Reinstalling Windows for this seems excessive and in that particular case, it would be overly complicated because they have old, Win95-era accounting softwares that are a pain-in-the-ass to re-configure. I don't think I have uninstalled/re-installed the other network services and protocoles, but I wonder if it would help. Oh and I did the ipconfig -everything several times and it didn't help.

I did not try a Windows repair or a chkdsk /r. I'm under the impression it wouldn't help. There must be a system file that's been corrupted somewhere, but I don't know which one and I must not be typing the right words on Google for this one because I don't find anything useful for that particular case.

Zone Alarm is one of the first software they installed on that computer, perhaps even before their accounting softwares. In order to do a system restore, I would have to use one of the earliest restore point (some two years back). If it would work for the network, I'm pretty sure it would screw up something else. I would rather not go that road.

F-bomb Zone Alarm!