CPU Cooler - keep or junk

mubs

Storage? I am Storage!
When I built my present system in late 2012, apparently I purchased a Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo for the CPU. But I bought a retail Ivy Bridge Core i5-3570K and ended up using the cooler that came with it. The Cooler Master has been sitting in a box since then, and I found it trying to clean out my stuff. It's gigantic; not sure if it'll fit in my case. I'm not overclocking, and normal temps are between 45 and 48 C for the 4 cores. Core Temp says max for core 3 was 56 C. Do I need the Cooler Master? I can try to sell it for the peanuts I'll probably get; but that's better than nothing. It fits LGA 2011 / 1366 / 1156 / 1155 / 775 got Intel, and FM1 / AM3+ / AM3 / AM2 for AMD. I've no idea what sockets current CPUs use. Advice? TIA.

I should probable clean the Intel heatsink with compressed air soon.

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
I don't old the Hyper 212 in high regard because its fans can't be oiled, but until it starts making creak-creak-creak bearing noises, it's stilll going to do a better job cooling an LGA115x CPU than a stock Intel cooler.

mubs

Storage? I am Storage!
Thanks. I can always replace the fan with one of those orange ones (um.. Nexus?). So I guess you're saying I should replace the stock with this cooler? My case is vertical and I'll have to check if there's space to use it, plus I'm worried about the weight.

time

Storage? I am Storage!
Your original cooler performs just fine - you provided stats to prove it.

Given you bought a "K" suffix CPU, people might assume you were overclocking - that would be a reason to consider using the Hyper 212. Otherwise, it is a pointless exercise: running a CPU a few degrees cooler when it's already miles under its rated maximum doesn't change the end result.

sedrosken

Florida Man
Thanks. I can always replace the fan with one of those orange ones (um.. Nexus?). So I guess you're saying I should replace the stock with this cooler? My case is vertical and I'll have to check if there's space to use it, plus I'm worried about the weight.

Pretty sure you're thinking Noctua?

CougTek

Serial computer killer
Nexus fans were famous for their orange color several years ago. The Noctua have wine-red fan and a pale frame.

Nexus :
fantest_nexus120_1.jpg

Noctua :
noctua-fan.jpg

sedrosken

Florida Man
Ah. See, I just go with standard fans so I don't know these things. Noctua was the only specific brand I knew of and they sounded somewhat similar.