Cracking Windows Passwords

ddrueding

Fixture
A client has a server and doesn't know the password. I believe it is Server 2008 R2. It is currently running fine, but it would be nice to be able to log in. I have full access to the machine, so booting to a CD or other is possible. What is the current state of this sort of thing?

timwhit

Hairy Aussie
I was just trying to figure out why a rainbow table attack would work on NTLM, because no one in their right mind would design a system that doesn't use salts. But, apparently NTLM doesn't use salts.

CougTek

Serial computer killer
Active Password Changer. Available on older versions of Hiren's Boot CD. I don't remember if I've used it on a Server 2008 (because generally, people who operate a Server 2008 machine don't lose their passwords). It works like a charm on all Windows 2000-to-7 though. I have yet to use it on a Windows 8 system (because they are so rare).

Stereodude

Not really a
I was just trying to figure out why a rainbow table attack would work on NTLM, because no one in their right mind would design a system that doesn't use salts. But, apparently NTLM doesn't use salts.
As always your system is only as secure as you're physical control of the system.

timwhit

Hairy Aussie
I don't know if that's true for encryption or hashes. Imagine two scenarios with a user table/DB from a large internet company being released to the public:

1. Passwords in the table are standard SHA-256 hashes.
2. Passwords in the table are SHA-256, but there's another column in the table called SALT.

In scenario one, I can use a rainbow table to look up a large portion of the passwords in a small amount of time. In scenario two, I am stuck using a dictionary attack against each and every password assuming I know how the SALT is added to the password.

Howell

Storage? I am Storage!
Ntpasswd still works just fine for resetting the password up through 2008 64 if that meets your requirements.