D-Link DI-804 DHCP Problem

The JoJo

Wannabe Storage Freak
Website
www.thejojo.com
Hi!

I got myself the above mentioned firewall/switch (because my ADSL-router only has a 10Mb/s HUB in it). It's got a 100Mb/s switch and a firewall in it.

My problem is that the DHCP server in it only assigns one IP, to the machine that I first had in it and used to configure it. It should give out 10 IP adddresses.

When I boot my other computer, the lights on the switch just blink for that connection, maybe 2 times / s.

What could be wrong? All help appreciated!

James

Storage is cool
Sounds like a connectivity problem rather than a problem with the DLink. Check the card and the cable on the other computer. Make sure it's set up to get its IP addresses automatically.

Test that the DLink is actually giving out addresses - go to a DOS window and type

ipconfig /release

then

ipconfig /renew

and see if you get an IP address back (it may be the same as the old one, depending on how long your leases are).

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
I know I can communicate with my DSL router and manually assign IP to all its ports (I have an USR8000).

Also, a stupid question : is your networks cable (on the system that cannot connect) a cross-type or a regular?

The JoJo

Wannabe Storage Freak
Website
www.thejojo.com
Hmm, I probably should have put this in the tech.supp. section, sorry!

But back to the problem. The cable is a normal one, not a crossover. When I put the cable in the d-link XP just says network cable unplugged, and nothing happens. When I take the cable out of the d-link and put it in the adsl-router hub, it get's it's IP address immediately. This computer uses a 3com 905 NIC.

When I take the cable from the computer I used to configure it with and unplugg it, and put it in a nother port, it immediately get's it's IP address. This is with the d-link. This computer has an old ISA 3com 10Mb/s NIC.

I tried switching cables but that didn't help.

Any more ides?

Thanks!

Cliptin

Wannabe Storage Freak
Website
www.whstrain.us
It is possible that the new switch is having difficulty auto-negotiating speeds; but until you can confirm that I'm tending to believe it might have something to do with the "magical" appearance of a second DHCP server o the same subnet.

What happens when you release-renew the machine that works with the new switch?

Have you tried turning off all the features of the router/hub and then inserting it in between the switch and the NICs? Visa versa?

All that said, it is really hard to troubleshoot something with out a full and accurate picture. Could you present the scenario in detail all at once?

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
Tea said:
Don't those 3com 905 cards have some odd-ball compatibility problems? I seem to rember people bitching about them over at SR.
The problems related to the 905x are the lockups these NICs provoke when there's too much traffic on the line. What JoJo is experiencing has nothing to do with this.

The JoJo

Wannabe Storage Freak
Website
www.thejojo.com
Internet
-
adsl-router/hub with dhcp, 192.168.1.1
-
d-link with outer address 192.168.1.2, so omitting the dhcp of the adsl
-
machines connecting to the d-link, linux and winxp, using dhcp
One computer working ok 3c509b, the other not 3c905c
dhcp range on d-link 192.168.0.10-20
The one that doesn't get the ip from the d-link get's it immediately when connected to the adsl.

I just brought my laptop home from work, I'll try it next.

Thanks for all the input!

Buck

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.hlmcompany.com
Is your router set to dynamically send out IP addresses after 192.168.1.2? Your first available DHCP provided address is 192.168.1.3. My Netopia router requires that I enter the first dynamic address so that I can use some addresses statically.

The JoJo

Wannabe Storage Freak
Website
www.thejojo.com
The adsl-router has a dhcp range of 192.168.1.2-5.
I have used static addresses in that range, like the d-link now does.
No problems with that before.

My laptop did not get a ip with (xircom 100Mb/s card) with just ipconfig /renew (3 times) , but required a /release and then renew. Don't know if this is normal or not, never experienced this before.

My main computer works now, when I change in winxp the rate of the nic to 10Mb/s full duplex/half duplex. With 100 Mb/s full/half it doesnt work. Neither with auto select or hardware default. I changed the network cable, same thing. The cable is cat5e.

I'm starting to dislike this d-link. :(

Do you think somethings wrong with the 3c905c? Or is it just the d-link?

Buck

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.hlmcompany.com
I doubt it is just the NIC brand alone (if it is the problem).

On my network I have 3C905x, Intel, and LinkSys cards mixed without any issues. Maybe it is the combination of 3COM and D-Link? Just a guess.

Cliptin

Wannabe Storage Freak
Website
www.whstrain.us
Buck said:
I doubt it is just the NIC brand alone (if it is the problem).

On my network I have 3C905x, Intel, and LinkSys cards mixed without any issues. Maybe it is the combination of 3COM and D-Link? Just a guess.

I have several 509xs and Netgear cards on my network. All connected to a D-link DSS-8+. No problems so far.