December 2006 desktop PC

Adcadet

Storage Freak
For a headphone user is there anything wrong with AC97 sound? What's the CPU overhead like? Anything I'd notice when gaming?

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
AC97 is its own special category of horrid. As a techie it offends me. As a music enthusiast it repulses me.

The main issue is that in an AC97 implementation, all sound is upsampled to 48kHz, processed and then output back to whatever quality you've selected for playback (almost always 44.1kHz). In other words, it's impossible to get an unmolested audio stream from generic onboard sound.

I guess that's not a big deal for someone who wants to hear Windows go beep or ding, but since you're already making the tremendous personal sacrifice of putting on headphones, you should probably care enough to step up to something better.

The good news is, most Intel and nVidia-based boards have moved on from AC97. Many Via-based boards still use Realtek or Cmedia implementations. Just watch what you buy and there's a good chance it won't be an issue.

On a modern CPU onboard sound does not appear to appear to make much of a performance difference.

Adcadet

Storage Freak
What's your opinion of the ADI AD1988B, the chip found on the Asus P5B Delux (the non-Delux version uses AC97 sound, among other differences)?

mubs

Storage? I am Storage!
How about "Karajan audio module; Realtek ALC850 8-channel AC’97 audio CODEC"?

Do I sense a contradiction between Realtek ALC850 and AC'97, or does this mean the ALC850 can also support AC'97? And is the Realtek ALC850 acceptable?

Adcadet

Storage Freak
Or what about the Realtek ALC882D? It's on the Abit AB9 Pro, and they claim it provides Dolby Digital support even though Newegg lists the onboard sound as AC97.

P5-133XL

Xmas '97
You know there is a real need out there in the internet world for a good article that compares and contrasts different sound chips/standards. Something that shows what they can do and what they can't in relatively non-technical jargon.

I just went through a series of MB's, ID'ed the chips that make sound and then googled around to try to determine the differences. I totally failed to find good sites/articles that I use to determine what I wanted and what was not worth it.

Adcadet

Storage Freak
As mentioned in a different thread, I ordered an Antec P180 (black, 'cause the silver looks like a fridge and would make me hungry all the time). Now I just need a few other things ... PS, chip, motherboard, RAM, HD(s), video card, and a sound card if not included in the motherboard.

Speaking of sound cards, I have an old SB Live! Value - are those still considered good sound cards? Were they ever? I remember getting it for like $40 back around 1999. I could perhaps reuse it.

Clocker

Storage? I am Storage!
That card should server you very nicely. The sound quality is very good, it's supported by everything and the drivers are very mature. You don't even need Creative's drivers and M$'s drivers work great.

C

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
With the SB Live, you have two choices: Microsoft's crippled driver or Creative's sucky one. Take your pick. Bleh.
On the other hand, Clocker is right that it'll do what you want it to do.

WRT Sound chips and OEMs and standards and stuff, there's WAY too much that can be customized to make many definitive statements. sechs's weirdo Via Envy card is a prime example. I know what it SHOULD be able to do, but whoever manufactured his card changed enough things about it that it's anybody's guess how it's actually meant to work.
Historically, all things sound-related seem to be nonsense, hyperbole or in the very best cases, merely subjective. I can rave all day about my Auzentech hardware, but everyone will just roll their eyes, sometimes for completely different reasons.

Clocker

Storage? I am Storage!
How is the MS driver crippled? I know EAX works with it just fine...

Buck

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.hlmcompany.com
Certainly not a basic desktop system, but my new Professional series system has a base model that includes:

CPU: BX80557E6600
Motherboard: BOXDG965WHMKR
RAM: Kingston DDR2 667 2GB
Case: Antec Solo
PSU: Antec TP3-550
Fans: Vantec Stealth SF9225L x 2
FDD: FA404A-BLACK
HDD: WD1500ADFD
Optical: ND-3550A-BK
Video Card: PNY VCQFX560-PCIE-PB-V
Display: Samsung 244T-BLACK
Keyboard/Mouse: MS Wireless Optical Desktop N90-00076
Speakers: Logitech Z-4
Productivity: Microsoft Office SBE

Yeah, I know . . . I can hear the WD comments now. Well, I've had good success with WD's 150 Raptor and 500 RE drives.