Coug sent me these to share.

2400P_MOD1.jpg

tbred-hand3_MOD1.jpg

blakerwry

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
justblake.com
Mercutio said:
Like Coug said, best of all is to wait a bit for price drops, but Lite-On doesn't make any bad drives IMO, and that Speeze HSF is way, way quieter than the stock retail model. If it's a big deal, pay $5 or whatever to extend the warranty on your OEM CPU.

Or buy the Speeze and the retail CPU. If you don't like the Speeze I'll buy it off you.

I replaced all the CPU fans in my apartment with that Speeze unit.

The Speeze is quieter AND it cools better.. but the Tbred 1700 will be a (reletively) cool runner anyway...

The stock AMD HSF that I got with my Duron sucked... it was not flat at all and made very poor contact with the CPU surface... I used a generic coolermaster heat sink with the same AMD retail fan and it lowered my temps several degrees... just a thought.

I just lowered my Speeze WhisperRock III to the lowest setting on my Thermal take fan switch... the HSF is very quiet now, spinning at a regimented 1541 RPMs....

Handruin

Administrator
Mercutio said:
I scrounge lease-returns, man. Nothin' like a $180 21" CRT. Most computer shops will have some, if you don't have a Comdisco or something nearby. Aren't there failed .coms in MA?

There used to be plenty of defunct .coms, but that was a while ago. I'll have to ask around I guess...

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
Although the (tiny) letters aren't very clear in the pictures I sent to Doug, I hope it is enough to understand the principle.

One last thing Doug. Crucial has gotten aboard the DDR train much later than several other memory manufaturers, so while their SDRAM modules were very above the field, their DDR modules are just average. Their Cas latency is generally quite poor. You would be better of with Samsung or Infineon sticks. Both are ~5$ cheaper and tend to work at more agressive timings than the DDR Crucial modules. I have heard good things about the Kingston DDR modules too, even if they aren't cheaper than Crucial's.

Adcadet

Storage Freak
Doug -
as a resident of the State of Minnesota, I must ask you to replace your avatar. I have suffered for four years under Jesse Ventura, and I do not want to be forced to view hiw putrid face at my beloved SF.
Due to a budget mess largely exacerbated by Jesse, some of the funding for the MD/PhD program I'm applying to is in jeopardy.

Thanks,
Ad

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
Hey Doug, if you can wait a few days before buying anything, I'm going to be able to shake loose a couple of 1700s from my personal collection very shortly. Normally I'd use them to upgrade more of my stuff but since there's a need...

Handruin

Administrator
Mercutio said:
Hey Doug, if you can wait a few days before buying anything, I'm going to be able to shake loose a couple of 1700s from my personal collection very shortly. Normally I'd use them to upgrade more of my stuff but since there's a need...

I'm in no rush for the new machine other than excitement to build it. How much are you looking to sell one for?

Coug, I'll look into the other brands of RAM, thanks for the info.

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
Handruin said:
Coug, I'll look into the other brands of RAM, thanks for the info.
Winbond, I forgot Winbond. Many highly overclockable modules use Winbond chips. So if you see Winbond on your chips, don't flee while screaming.

April is supposed to bring a 10-15% price drop for memory modules too, if you are willing to wait that long.

Handruin

Administrator
Adcadet said:
Doug -
as a resident of the State of Minnesota, I must ask you to replace your avatar. I have suffered for four years under Jesse Ventura, and I do not want to be forced to view hiw putrid face at my beloved SF.
Due to a budget mess largely exacerbated by Jesse, some of the funding for the MD/PhD program I'm applying to is in jeopardy.

Thanks,
Ad

You ask of me, so I'll ask of you. I'll change my avatar, but you have to pick out the new one. (please be nice)

e_dawg

Storage Freak
CougTek said:
The Asus A7N266-VM is a good board. E-Dawg can confirm ... (although overclocking might be problematic on the A7N266-VM) and let it run F@H 24x7. This doesn't prevent you from messing with Linux as there is a (slower) F@H client for it.

Yes, I'll confirm it is rock solid stable and runs well. I'll also confirm that it is impossible to overclock even just using the FSB despite soldering the offending jumper and flashing to the necessary BIOS version. As for Linux compatibility, I believe Future Shock at SR has confirmed that the board is compatible with Linux, but warns it was a complete PITA to get it to that state.

e_dawg

Storage Freak
Mercutio said:
Give it to me!

Actually, I think the best thing to do (besides giving it to me) is to drop it onto ebay. SOMEONE will find a use for it. If it was an IDE model, it'd be an easy decision - you probably know someone for whom ~20GB would be a big upgrade. With SCSI, ebay is, I think, the best possible choice for a drive you don't actively need.

I've never had a drive I didn't need. What's that like?

Merc,

I have a 9 GB Atlas 10k U160 drive that I don't need. It's about equivalent to the 4th gen Cheetah drives (18XL) in performance and noise. Would you have anything I could trade you for? I could actually use an old 7200 rpm drive like that WD Expert... Maxtor's DM+ 6800, IBM 34GXP, etc. to replace the dog slow 6 GB 5400 rpm Seagate Medalist from 1998 in my parents' computer.

blakerwry

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
justblake.com
could be that they buy the cheapest lite-on's or that their Sony formware screws them up... and the fact that they never seem to release firmware upgrades....

my creative DVD was a liteon LT 122 or something or rather... it's a piece o' crap... very loud and has a lot more trouble reading crappy discs when compared to my other drives.

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
e_dawg said:
Merc,

I have a 9 GB Atlas 10k U160 drive that I don't need. It's about equivalent to the 4th gen Cheetah drives (18XL) in performance and noise. Would you have anything I could trade you for? I could actually use an old 7200 rpm drive like that WD Expert... Maxtor's DM+ 6800, IBM 34GXP, etc. to replace the dog slow 6 GB 5400 rpm Seagate Medalist from 1998 in my parents' computer.

Umm... I've got a few RMA-able Barracuda IIs in the 20GB range. I'm using everything I've got down to 20GB, and I have a couple of 8GB drives still in service as well. I'd probably be using the Seagates, too, except that they suck in almost every way (hot, loud, slow for 7200rpm).

Anyway I've got 2 10s and a 20, all failed but with about 6 months left on the warranty. I've also got a WD1360AA, but that's 5400rpm, and a 10GB Fujitsu of some kind that might be servicable.

I'm pretty good at finding homes for my old drives, so except for a couple of 4.3s I use for testing, and a small collection of antiques, I don't have any sitting around that actually work. :)