DirectX nonesense - Direct 3D Initialization Error

snowhiker

Storage Freak Apprentice
I've started to get a "Direct 3D Initialization Error" after starting a game. Game requires DirectX 9. I have DirectX 9 and 11 installed.

I have updated video drivers and re-installed DriectX v 9 and 11. The game I was playing worked fine at 3840 x 2160 x 60 Hz for a day or two, now it errors out. Can't think of anything that I changed after successful game launches at "4k" resolution. I went into the game config file and changed launch res to 1920 x 1080. Same error. DxDiag finds no errors, 32 & 64-bit tested.

Any suggestions on how to proceed?

sedrosken

Florida Man
For me restarting the whole machine always fixes such issues. I have them all the time, sometimes an older DX9 game like Asheron's Call or Oblivion craps out and then I can't start it back up without a restart.

snowhiker

Storage Freak Apprentice
tl;dr
I'm working A-OK now. Thanks again for the quick responses.

Long version.
DD, I never update video drives using windows update.

Merc, it was one game.

Sed, I powered off and restarted several times. And re-installed video driver and Directx 9 and 11.

I upgraded my video driver in 2013 and hadn't touch it since. I upgraded to the latest 365.xx Nvidia driver when I got my new UHD monitor and the game loaded a few times then just crapped out. I just now upgraded to the new 368.xx driver that can out May 23 and that fixed my issue. I knew there was a reason I never update my video driver unless I have to.