Does anyone actually use roaming profiles?

ddrueding

Fixture
At one point early in my IT life a company I supported used roaming profiles for users who worked both from their workstation and via our terminal server. The points I remember are:

1. Size. They got so big (including PST files or documents) that transferring them over our VPN was a nightmare.

2. Corruption. They were the primary cause of login issues, and the primary solution was to delete them.

That's all I remember, enough really to never want to use them again.

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
There are VERY few situations where they are worthwhile. I've deployed them. I've supported them. I do not like them.

Besides the corruption issue, roaming profiles are hell on network bandwidth. Positively lethal. There is nothing worse than an office full of people who can't do any work between 8 and 8:30 because they are waiting for their logins to finish... and are then afraid to log out or shut down because it takes so long to log back in.

GMac

Learning Storage Performance
Can't argue with that - we let our teaching and admin staff use them, and they need watching constantly to ensure they don't get bloated (temp internet files tend to be the biggest culprits, along with a few foolish individuals who like to leave all sorts of stuff on their desktop :roll: or use fancy wallpaper). Fortunately we don't have that many who move between campus sites on a regular basis (they tend to be the ones who cause the problems - 70MB profiles can slow things right down on our network).

GM

time

Storage? I am Storage!
Thanks, the general reaction accords with my own understanding - I just wanted to see what other people had experienced.

On a related topic, what's everyone's preferred way of dealing with laptops that need to operate both on and off a domain? This morning, I ended up moving documents, mail, etc to a common area and configuring both the local and network profiles to point to the same data. This had to be done on an application by application basis though. I wondered if there was a reliable way to just attach a single windows profile to two distinct users, eg local and network users.

What's best?

time

Storage? I am Storage!
It's a Linux server. Do Offline Folders work when the server doesn't support them?

It still doesn't get around the hassles of relocating email, address books, etc. And I was really hoping to stick with alternative logins - it's a pain waiting for a domain login to time out every time on a laptop that's using power saving features (you're logging in a lot).

Handruin

Administrator
Not sure if this will help, but there is an option to specify the time-out period in the registry. This option is for adding time to the delay, but maybe it will accept a negative value?? The default is claimed to be 15 seconds, and then whatever time you add to this registry value is applied.

CityK

Storage Freak Apprentice
Well timed, time, as roaming profiles made news elsewhere recently. I didn't read the article, but I skimmed through the comments. In typical OSNews fashsion, the know-it-alls, trolls and insulters are quickly fleshed out of the ether.

time

Storage? I am Storage!
In an office environment where the CEO acts more like a crime lord than an administrator and without clue 1 about what the hell it is that he's doing, I want to see you make this work without giving your admin an ulcer.

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

CityK

Storage Freak Apprentice
Yes, that was definitely one of the more enlightened comments :D