Doom 3

Pradeep

Storage? I am Storage!
Me too. But I'll need a new vid card for it me thinks. AIW 7500 is not going to cut it.

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
Apparently, it IS playable on a Geforce4.
Insofar as a Geforce4 is useful for anything.

Supposedly the X800 is somewhat underwhelming. Not that it matters. My card doesn't need a 500W PSU just to operate.

BooST

Learning Storage Performance
Agreed. I'm very interested. My 9800 Pro is still chugging along, and the same with the womans Ti4600

Handruin

Administrator
I'm interested, but not as interested as half-life 2. I don't know how well either will play on my 9500.

sechs

Storage? I am Storage!
Buy a couple new high-end cards and charge an exhorbitant amount to use those machines. They pay for themselves.

BooST

sechs said:
Buy a couple new high-end cards and charge an exhorbitant amount to use those machines. They pay for themselves.

Not a bad idea... a few "Supercomputers" :roll: With all the best new hardware, those computers would almost always have someone on them, if not to game, just to experience "The Best"

BooST

I highly recommend getting Far Cry, even just for the single player game it is well worth it.

CityK

Storage Freak Apprentice
Is there any difference between any of these first person shooter games? I watched a Doom 3 trailer a couple of days ago and, to me, it looked just like Quake etc etc.

ddrueding

Fixture
CityK said:
Is there any difference between any of these first person shooter games? I watched a Doom 3 trailer a couple of days ago and, to me, it looked just like Quake etc etc.

Then you aren't very familiar with FPS games. Not that the gameplay isn't very similar; but the visual effects are absolutely stunning. FarCry is absolutely incredible, and Doom3 should be much better than that.

blakerwry

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
justblake.com
i was under the impression that there would be a story behind doom3, similar to the 1st and 2nd doom. Unlike ut2004 or quake3 which were simply shoot em up with either multi player against computer or multiplayer online...

The only reason I found counter strike so interesting is that I was able to join a clan and play with friends, have matches competitively. And there was strategy involved in competitive play. The voice communication part of the game was huge. Almost everybody I played with had a headset.. the game was just as much about socializing as it was game play for me.

ut2004 alows voice com, but hardly anyone else has a headset so the point is rather moot.

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
The last game that impressed me was Serious Sam due to the stunning landscapes. The monsters/opponents weren't very detailed and particularly well made, but the landscapes were exceptional.

Since my best graphic card is a Radeon 9500 (on an Athlon XP 2.0GHz), I doubt Doom 3 will bring me far better visuals than the two or three years old Serious Sam. I don't plan to buy it. I'm not a very good gamer anyway.

ddrueding

Fixture
blakerwry said:
i was under the impression that there would be a story behind doom3, similar to the 1st and 2nd doom. Unlike ut2004 or quake3 which were simply shoot em up with either multi player against computer or multiplayer online...

The only reason I found counter strike so interesting is that I was able to join a clan and play with friends, have matches competitively. And there was strategy involved in competitive play. The voice communication part of the game was huge. Almost everybody I played with had a headset.. the game was just as much about socializing as it was game play for me.

ut2004 alows voice com, but hardly anyone else has a headset so the point is rather moot.

You need to get to my gaming center. We focus on games that require voice tectics and voice communication. Counterstrike was good for it's time, but I can't believe people are still playing it.

Call of Duty, FarCry, Rainbow6: 3 Athena Sword, even the battlefield games have some good strategy to them.

Quake 3, UT, and the other FPSs that don't require tactics get virtually no play at the center. We'll see how Doom3 manages.

blakerwry

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
justblake.com
i played the call of duty demo, very much like DoD (with improved gfx) to me. I have downloaded a farcry demo so I'm going to test it out here in a bit...

One game I am looking forward to is The SIMS 2.. however, without free multiplayer gameplay I'm sure I'll get tired of it within a month.

The JoJo

Wannabe Storage Freak
Website
www.thejojo.com
BooST said:
I highly recommend getting Far Cry, even just for the single player game it is well worth it.

Doh, tried the game, and couldn't play with anything fancy on, seemed my GPU couldn't handle it (or more precisely, I think having only 64MB was the culprit). Couldn't up the resolution too much, or the texture settings without getting a low fps count :(
This on a Barton 3000 with 1gig memory.

Other than that, I liked the game.

blakerwry

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
justblake.com
The single player campain is decent, but the netplay in farcry is aweful from my small experience...

I agree about the requirements.. I ahve a 2400+ with 512MB PC3200 and a geforceFX 5600 256MB card and I still didnt think the game played very well.

I was going to buy the game, but after playing the horrible net play it is out of the question... For whatever reason a ping in farcry of 100 is like a ping of 300 in halflife, ut2004 or quake3.. they have a long way to go...

Clocker

Storage? I am Storage!
I bought my copy of D3 today for $50 at Walmart. The shelves were full of them.

ANyway, I really like the game so far. There are two things that make this game difficult:
  • IT IS DARK! Almost too dark for my tastes. It's hard to see your enemies.
  • Because of the darkness, I am using my flashlight most of the time. Because of that, I can't have a weapon ready to fire. You need to switch from the flashlight to the weapon. Luckily you can bind your light to a key and hitting it toggles between the light and your last weapon which makes switching painless (but there is still a pause).

The AI of the bad guys seems really good to me (even on the beginner skill level) and I see lots of memorable themes and bad guys from Doom(s) of the past. Overall, the game is excellent. Not sure it lives up to the hype but the hype was soooo big I'm not sure it could have ever been THAT good.

So far I have the pistol, shotgun, machine gun, and some 'nades. Looking forward to getting some big guns!

IIRC, I'm playing at 800x600 high quality on my system and it is very smooth. No complaints there....1024/768 was a little choppy..

Clocker

sechs

Storage? I am Storage!
Saw it at work today. Premise seems pretty dumb. It *is* very dark, *and* you can't hold a weapon and the flashlight at the same time.

The graphics engine holds great promise for someone who wants to build a game with a little more to it.

ddrueding

Fixture
Just got it installed on all the systems here...man this thing is a rescource hog!

A64 3000+
512MB PC 3200
ATI 9800Pro

Runs well at 1024x768 at "medium" detail. Upgrading to a gig of RAM does nothing. Upgrating to a 9800XT allows "high" (not "full") at the same resolution. I'll be able to try it with some X800 XTs in the near future...I hope I can see the potential of this game. Right now it's about as good as FarCry on the same hardware.

Clocker

Storage? I am Storage!
I'm actually used to the 'darkness' and don't use the light nearly as much any more. It adds to the scary-ness. I'm finding that you don't usually need the light to see the bad guys, it just seemed like you did. When they're-a-comin' it's fairly obvious... They aren't totally visible but I guess that adds to the realism.

C

Santilli

Hairy Aussie
Matrox guys can't seem to get it to run on Matrox Paras, so far.

s

Clocker

Storage? I am Storage!
BooST said:
ddrueding said:
Mercutio said:

Good find, I'm checking this out now...

It did help A LOT... Thnx for the tip Merc

Me too! Mine was initially set to 20! I changed it to 256 and I'm running 1024x768 HIGH and it is pretty damn smooth.

THe physics are cool. Throw a nade in a room with hanging light fixtures and they move very realistically from the shock... I'm still stuck trying to get clearance in Alpha Labs... Everything is dead :-(

C

ddrueding

Fixture
I'm not super happy about the performance increase. I was running it quite well at 1024x768 medium before, and even with this set to 256 I still can't get high to run at an acceptible frame rate.

sechs

Storage? I am Storage!
Clocker said:
They aren't totally visible but I guess that adds to the realism.

I'm hoping that this is some kind of joke. There's nothing realistic about Doom 3. Especially less realistic than the original....

Clocker

Storage? I am Storage!
You have got to be kidding me. Of course, D3 is fictional.

My only point is that in many situations (if you were a space Marine on a station in Mars that is just a mess! :eek: ), lighting might not be optimal and seeing you enemy may be difficult (to almost impossible). I just finished a level where the bad guys are coming after you in an almost completly darkened room....it sure adds to the intensity of the game!

Howell

Storage? I am Storage!
Good grief! You must be blind from the muzzle flashes.

On the other hand, a flame thrower would come in handy.

sechs

Storage? I am Storage!
Ignoring all of physics and common sense, I'd suppose that you're right Clocker.

Clocker

Storage? I am Storage!
I think you'll be OK if you keep in mind that it's just a game and not intended to be a real-life simulation, sechs. Just have fun playing it.

sechs

Storage? I am Storage!
Keeping in mind that it's just a game and utterly not real, one might realise that it *can't* be realistic or have realism.

Clocker

Storage? I am Storage!
Feel free to waste your time on the semantics. I think it looks good, is fun to play and have other 'real' things to think about other than this topic.