Driver problem (safe mode)

RWIndiana

Learning Storage Performance
I'm getting a 0x0000007e on a thinkpad t41 with Windows XP pro. The owner said he just did an update. Now the machine will not boot at all. In safe mode the BSOD appears immediately after the list of drivers loads. I was just wondering if the error would be caused by one of the drivers listed. That would narrow my search down quite a bit (I've spent the last hour picking drivers out of the system32/drivers directory to no avail). So are the drivers listed when booting in safe mode the only ones that are being loaded? And if so, does that mean the problem would be caused by one of those? Thanks for any ideas. I'm a little rusty.

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
I probably have or can make an image of the basic system image for that hardware for you if you don't have OEM media for that T41.

RWIndiana

Thanks Merc, your offer is much appreciated. I'll let the owner know what's going on and see if he wants to do a repair install or something. I'm not sure if he has the install media or not but I will find out.

RWIndiana

would it be better to use a SP3 install disc? I'm not even sure what he used but maybe installing SP3 from the start would be better than upgrading after install.

ddrueding

Fixture
Having as many updates as possible on the install media is always a better option. If for no other reason than less space being eaten up on the drive with uninstall stuff.

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
The media license type needs to match the media that was used to install. So if you have a volume license CD and it was installed with OEM media, it won't present the option to repair.

Or at least that has been my experience.

RWIndiana

Merc, I may indeed need to take advantage of your offer. It seems the owner does not have the original install media. So yes I would appreciate it very much. I would be willing to pay for that service. :) Well, to a certain extent. Heh

RWIndiana

Actually I got a sp3 cd with another computer and that worked. Sorry I would have just deleted my last message but couldn't figure out how. :)