dSLR thread

LunarMist

I can't believe I'm a Fixture
The XT is the 350D.

Yes, of course, but I meant what the newer body would be. Anyway, I think I understood the issues and I'm not sure that a new Rebel is really the best option if she only has a lens or two. Take a look at the Sony cameras with the in-body stabilization.

LunarMist

Bingo! Gorillapod. Thanks!

Yeah, I'm wondering if it's time for a second lens. Her current lens is from the kit - EF-S 18-55mm f3.5-5.6 (whatever that means).

I have the largest Gorilla Plod and it is not very good for general use.

ddrueding

Fixture
Wow. And this is only the worst flooding in 50 years? Don't people's memories go back that far? I made sure that my house hasn't been in a flood zone for recorded history, and that is just a house.

mubs

Storage? I am Storage!
I'm still scratching my head over this one. Not sure what's the point, other than for specialized applications like crime scene investigations, etc.

I did go over to their website from another link, and played around a bit (seems to work only in IE). Nifty, but again, don't see the point.

LunarMist

I'm still scratching my head over this one. Not sure what's the point, other than for specialized applications like crime scene investigations, etc.

I did go over to their website from another link, and played around a bit (seems to work only in IE). Nifty, but again, don't see the point.

That was a big deal a few months ago. The idea is not new and can be extremely useful in principle. The problem has always been the limited amount of useful information reconstructable in the OOF areas. Apparently it has been improved, but not yet to DSLR IQ levels.

ddrueding

Fixture

The ability to extract 3D information sounds useful, particularly if they let you combine multiple shots. With 3D printers getting cheaper and cheaper, anything that lets you capture 3D models more easily is a good thing.

Pradeep

Storage? I am Storage!

Yeah, I'm wondering if it's time for a second lens. Her current lens is from the kit - EF-S 18-55mm f3.5-5.6 (whatever that means).

The 100mm "Macro". Better image quality than some L glass, at a very affordable price.

Pradeep

Storage? I am Storage!
Wow. And this is only the worst flooding in 50 years? Don't people's memories go back that far? I made sure that my house hasn't been in a flood zone for recorded history, and that is just a house.

There seems to be a degree of human incompetence in terms of flood mitigation by the authorities (I.e. protect Bangkok at all costs, screw the outlying areas). Now they've decided they need to open up some gates, to let water through to the sea, perhaps a little late.

Also the amount of development that has happened in the last 50 years is just incredible. Leaving land vacant in case of 1 in 50 year floods just isn't an option.

LunarMist

I'm sure it will be 6-12 months before production levels are re-established.

Sol

Storage is cool

I also have the heaviest duty Gorilla Pos and, like Lunar, don't find it very useful.

I'd pretty much agree with DDs suggestion. A nice fast prime sounds like a good option for the sort of photography your wife is doing. 35mm would be a good option, a 50mm F1.8 is also worth considering. It's probably not quite as good for the situations you mentioned but it'd be pretty close and about 1/3rd the price.

The only place I'd disagree is that I don't think a prime lens is really a disadvantage. I don't think kit lenses ever really give you a proper appreciation of how aperture and depth of field really work and a fast prime is, IMO, the best way to learn that. You get a big aperture range that really lets you play with the depth of field and at the same time that's the only thing you really get to play with.

Handruin

Administrator
The 100mm "Macro". Better image quality than some L glass, at a very affordable price.

I have this lens and it's one of the few I rarely use. The image quality is very good, but the bokeh it produces isn't suited for my taste. It's got a flat feeling to it and it feels very suited to it's actual application which is for macro work. It is a sharp lens and for the money it does a good job. I don't think the auto focus is particularity speedy though, but then again, most macro users probably don't even use the AF. The problem I would find with it for a normal usage lens is that at 100mm on a crop-body camera, it's in a strange rang of being a decent zoom, but not at all good for any kind of walk-around purpose.

I would probably even be willing to sell mine if macro photography was an interest. I probably have no more than 100-200 pictures taken with it and I still have all the boxes, etc. It's no longer in warranty though, since I got it back in 2006-ish. I got this lens basically for free after all the rebates that canon offered at the time when I bought it.

None the less, I support the idea that better glass will make for some more remarkable pictures. I've been the most happiest with the color, sharpness, and clarity of my prime lenses, but at the expense of some versatility. Investing in a decent supplementary lighting equipment will also go a lot longer than investing in the latest and greatest camera body.

LunarMist

Is this the only factory for these Nikon models?
I find it a bit hard to believe they only use one.

I think it is for many of the models. The D3 series is still made in Japan. There is a plant in Malaysia under construction too. I'm sure they are burning the midnight oil figuring out how to reconfigure and distribute production. A major problem is that much of the equipment is custom dedicated and not quickly or easily replaceable.

LunarMist

The last update is not very promising. I ordered one body already and might get another one this week.

LunarMist

Why does that happen?

Anyway, the 32GB Extreme Pro CF cards have been $220 for a long time and were $100 yesterday, but are up a little to $113 today.

LunarMist

Presumably they are being replaced with a new series of cards. I did order some additional SDHC cards for the D7000. It tops out with the Extreme cards though.

LunarMist

Nice, but I think the three I have are enough for most weekends.

I have 400GB of 8GB and higher cards of at least 300x grade. I'm trying to decide whether to buy 10 more of the 32GB cards, thus increasing the total to 720GB. That would be enough for most 2-week outings so I would not be so dependent on the computer, PSDs, HDs, etc.

ddrueding

Fixture
Wow. I can't imagine what the workflow of your first pass though them must look like. How often do you spend reviewing each picture the first time through before culling the stack?

LunarMist

I have not done much useful in the last year or so. I'll probably be dead before I finish editing and printing anything again.

LunarMist

In that case I'd definitely spring for 64GB cards.

Given the current Canon and Nikon situations I'm doubting there will be higher res bodies anytime soon, so 64GB is not really the best idea for risk of data loss. They are also more than twice the price of the 32GB cards.

Stereodude

Not really a
The output from the C300 is supposed to be a step up from the 5D MkII, and it reportedly supports the pro interfaces in terms of connections / workflow that other digital cinema cameras have.

Handruin

Administrator
The Canon C300 is also 10x the cost of the 5DMKII. That buys you a lot of extra cameras and gear. You could also buy fewer 5DMKIIs and fund all the other extra DSLR cinema gear you need to make it a proper video camera.

LunarMist

I'm not convinced it is a peer of the others, but it may be useful for some purposes.

BTW, it's not it's peers, but its peers. ;)

DrunkenBastard

Storage is cool
The Canon C300 is also 10x the cost of the 5DMKII. That buys you a lot of extra cameras and gear. You could also buy fewer 5DMKIIs and fund all the other extra DSLR cinema gear you need to make it a proper video camera.

The C300 seems poorly priced compared to the RED Scarlet-X, given they are about the same price once the Scarlet-X is configured similarly, and when you think the Canon C300 is delivering 1080p with MPEG2 compression at a datarate of 50mbps, whilst the Scarlet-X is delivering 4K at 440mbps with REDCODE RAW.

If one has $15-20,000 to spend, the Scarlet seems like the more obvious choice.